Sunday, January 24, 2010

One Year Ago

(a.k.a. impromptu 2009 recap...)

One year ago today, I went cross-country skiing for the first time and took a nasty spill resulting in my very first DNS for a race I was supposed to run the next day. I didn't realize just how serious my injury was until I finally went to the hospital the next morning, only to discover that I had separated my shoulder.

I was put in an immobilizing sling and learned then that it could be a long road to recovery, but I was fortunate in that it appeared my shoulder would heal on its own. UNfortunately, hubby was literally on the other side of the world on business at that time and wouldn't be home for six long weeks - not the best time for me to be incapacitated! I'm blessed with a wonderful support system with great friends and the best Mom in the world who took care of me when I needed it. For the first week I couldn't even wash my own hair - that's what Moms are for, right?

After three weeks in the sling, I made an appointment to have a suspicious and painful lump on my forearm checked out. I learned that I had developed a blood clot as a result of the trauma of impact and subsequent immobilization of my arm. This led to quite the list of health issues, but we were able to monitor and treat it with blood thinners and frequent appointments over the next three months. (Remind me never to cross-country ski again...)

I didn't run for four weeks, which was even more disappointing since I had just started up my very first round of group marathon training (same group I am with now). Everyone was extremely supportive and I stayed involved with the group as much as I could during my hiatus. After those four long weeks, I re-joined the group and they welcomed me with open arms even though I could only run a fraction of their distances.

Due to the missed training, I had to sit out of a couple more races, but I made the most of it by volunteering and spectating, eventually making a comeback at the Inaugural B.A.A. 5K during Boston Marathon weekend.

I wasn't able to run a Spring marathon as I'd hoped, but I made up for it by running 9 races in 10 weeks, including 4 half marathons and setting PR's in the 5K, 10K and half marathon distances.

I resumed marathon training for the Summer session, eventually seeking Marathon Redemption at the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

And that just about wraps up my 2009!

After a successful long run with my group this morning followed by a lifting session at the gym this afternoon, I can safely say that January 24, 2010 has been much better than January 24, 2009.

Here's hoping there are many good things to follow this year. Stay tuned for 2010 race plans and goals next week.

(And a giveaway too...)

43 comments:

Heather said...

With goofy under your belt and no injuries today, I think 2010 is off to a better start than 2009! You managed to have an awesome year of running even with the time off.

N.D. said...

WOw - I'm glad that 2010 started off well! :)

Carly said...

Your start to 2010 makes up for 2009. You have come so far after such a severe injury in only a year. Nice work!

Jen Feeny said...

That is crazy! Glad 2010 is going much better!!!

Erika said...

Glad to hear that 2010 is off to a better start! I didn't know that your 2009 started out so roughly!

MCM Mama

Bethany + Ryan said...

Wow, that's a horrible way to start a new year! Glad this year is starting off better!!!!!

ShirleyPerly said...

Wow, I didn't start following your blog until later in the year and didn't know about your skiing mishap and follow-on clot issue. Thanks for filling me in (and reminding me to check for lumps after a serious fall - had a bad bike crash a couple yrs ago).

Anyway, very glad this year is off to a much better start!

Meg said...

Whaaat? A giveaway when I might not have internet access? LOL Not going to give you warning for my upcoming one anymore :p

:P

jk

Anonymous said...

What a tough 2009 start! Look how far you've come, though! A good sign of great things to come!

Beth said...

I'm glad that 2010 is off to a great start for you. Good that you were in shape before your injury so that you could make your way back.

Laurel said...

Glad this year is shaping up to be better than last. You're doing great!

Sarah said...

Wow..what a year! Although it sounds like you have made quite a comeback!

EndorphinBuzz said...

Congrats on all those 2009 achievements (and 2010 already!). I hope that 2010 will be a good year and that you will continue to delight us with beautiful pictures :)

RunToTheFinish said...

holy cow what a start to last year...I feel very lucky to have not broken any bones so far!

woot woot Seattle I know that's on your list! :)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

You accomplished so much in 2009, and have had an amazing start to 2010!!!

Jocelyn said...

Wow! I had no idea you separated your shoulder last year. That's crazy! Way to make an amazing comeback though.

Jocelyn said...

Wow! I had no idea you separated your shoulder last year. That's crazy! Way to make an amazing comeback though.

Unknown said...

what a year you've had!

Pining for Pinterest said...

That is horrible about your shoulder! I separated my should in high school and it will sometimes still give me issues. I know that you are going to have an amazing year ;-)

Lily on the Road said...

I remember your fall like it was yesterday. So glad you have made the journey back to running and being Goofy!

Heather @ Dietitian on the Run said...

Oof - I've "heard" about THE injury - but never knew the story!! Glad you're back in action!! ;) You clearly bounced back - and then some! Goofy, whaaat!?! ha - stay off of that snow and stay In those running shoes!! xo

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

All I can say is WOW! You have made quite the comeback. Can't wait to see what 2010 has in store for you!

Stephanie Estridge said...

haha you have a permanent invite to my new moon parties lol! I'll even think about packing it up for seattle if you ask nice ;) Hey! We have to do something non-alcoholic the night before the race!!!

Chic Runner said...

YAY for redemption races! :) You are on top of the world right now and will be doing great things in 2010!

Gotta Run..... said...

Planning is one of the BEST tings in my book...other than the training and racing of course.

Julia said...

Wow, what a way to show your injury who's boss! I'm so sorry to hear what happened, but it looks like you came back with a vengeance! I hope 2010 to bring you nothing but good luck and more PRs!

Anne said...

What inspires me about this post is the fact that being off for several months with an injury, did not mean the end of running. Quite the contrary. Hope you have a great 2010!

No Longer Using said...

Wow Marlene, I missed all of that and had no idea about that particular history you've had!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i can't believe all of that from XC Skiing. LOL "remind me never to xc ski again"... i might have to insist you don't! hehe.

BAA has a 5k?! maybe i knew that???? i'm not sure. and you were totally in boston last year! any plans to return? maybe i will see it on your 2010 race plans :)

can't wait to hear what's coming up and i love looking back posts, just because they are always meaningful. even if they have to be painful :(

Felice Devine said...

Cheers to your rockin' 2010, Marlene!

Runner Leana said...

Oh dear....why have I signed up for XC ski lessons?? Sounds like 2010 is definitely off to a better start for you!!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Wow what a road 2009 was for you. It seems like you have come a very long way in only 365 days. Amazing!!!

Denise said...

I can't believe that was a year ago already! I remember worrying that you had a blood clot. Yikes! I'm glad you're well past it and all healthy!

J said...

Wow it has already been a year since that day! I remember reading that post and just feeling horrible that you had taken such a fall from skiing! You have proved to have quite the perseverance this year!

yumke said...

I saw on twitter you ran a longish run just over the weekend.. take a break!

Though interested to see if you`re going to do a spring marathon. And what about fall, so many options for both of you.

Badgergirl said...

Wow! I didn't realize 2009 started off so rough! I think I stumbled across your blog right around the BAA 5K combeback.

Glad to hear 2009 finished on an upswing and so far it sounds like 2010 has been good to you! Can't wait to hear what the rest of the year has in store!

Tricia said...

Thanks for sharing, I needed to read this in light of my recent injury. Glad youre back strong.

And thanks for the lovely comment.

Unknown said...

Yipee for January 2010. You're going to have a better year!

Lindsay said...

oh man! i remember all this! :( i guess at least hubs knew you wouldn't be out dancing at the club with your gimp shoulder/arm ;) this totally reinforces for me why i do not do any other (non-running) activities, lol. too afraid i won't be able to run!

i am glad 2010 is off to a MUCH better start.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Wow what a story.. I cant imagine the pain.. So glad you recovered like a Rock Star..

Teamarcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teamarcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teamarcia said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Teamarcia said...

Wow what a difference a year makes! I hope 2010 is all good for you! You're off to an awesome start!