Sunday, August 29, 2010

Toronto Women's 10K

After coming down with a cold last week, I took it extra easy on Thursday and Friday. When I woke up on Saturday, I decided I was feeling good enough to run (but not race) the Toronto Women's 10K.

We headed to Sunnybrook early for race-day kit pick-up. Last year we got awesome Lululemon race shirts, but this year they switched to caps. They aren't bad, but it's still a bit of a disappointment and not something I will likely wear often. The full size bottle of Immunity FX, on the other hand, was a major score; especially given my current condition!




I can eat these like candy, right?

After hanging around for a while and looking for some friends who were also running, it was soon time to line up. I kept my jacket on until the last minute because there was a nice chill in the air.



After some urging from hubs, I decided to move a little closer to the front. I was feeling pretty relaxed about it, but I didn't want to start off dodging people and weaving all over the place. At this point, I knew I was in no condition for a PR (and had no intention to try!) but I hoped I could still pull off a decent time. I planned to play it by ear, see how I felt and use that as a gauge to determine whether or not I could handle a long run the following day.

Off we go!

Naturally, I was too fast out of the gates. I glanced down to see a 4:30/KM (7:14/mi) pace several times during the first kilometre and concentrated on reeling it in. Unfortunately I realized after it was too late that I had left my handheld with hubs. Doh!

KM 1 - 4:47

My throat was already feeling dry (likely from coughing so much in the previous days and even that morning) and I really regretted not having my own water. Thankfully we hit the famed water station hosted by firefighters at 2K. It was a nice touch.

I had also forgotten my sunglasses (gah!) which resulted in a nice squint for these photos snapped near the beginning of the race.





KM 2 - 4:48

We were running along the paved paths through the park. It was open to the public, but luckily there didn't seem to be too many people out and those who were cleared the way. We ran over several bridges, some with speed bumps (ouch) - all of which was familiar from when I've run the half marathon and 5K previously.



At 3K there was an short but steep climb followed by a sharp turn; we ran down the other side, but it was too steep to feel good. I was still feeling alright; no coughing spells, which I was most worried about.

KM 3 - 5:00

Around 4K we got to see the leaders running back toward the finish. I was ecstatic to see that my physiotherapist was in first place!* I gave her a little cheer and enjoyed watching all of the leading ladies as I made my way to the turn-around.

KM 4 - 4:50

We ran downhill to the 180-degree turn around. The sharp turn around a pylon killed some momentum, especially when followed immediately by a climb back up the hill. At least we were on the way back!

KM 5 - 4:55

I enjoyed looking out for friends headed the other way and it offered a good distraction. I was tiring and trying hard not to slow down.





KM 6 - 4:55

The most noticeable climb on the elevation chart above (with the map) came at 7K and it wore me down. I slowed pretty significantly and couldn't seem to find any steam after that.

KM 7 - 4:59

Just after 7K, the 5K'ers joined in from their turn around point. The pack was moving a lot slower than we were (they had started 15 mins. later) and it immediately became congested as I wove my way through. I even ran off the path on the grass several times to avoid a traffic jam.

KM 8 - 5:11

I was drained at this point and wishing I had taken it easier, telling myself I was too sick to be running this fast. I was tormented by all the usual thoughts that arise toward the end of a race when you're suffering; I even considered stopping for a walk.

KM 9 - 5:12

Finally, with one kilometre to go and the finish line within ear shot, I found something in the tank to pick it up. My friend Patricia snapped this pic as I made my way toward the finish. Finally smiling.



The following photos were also taken on the home stretch as I worked on passing the 5K'ers in purple bibs.






Official Chip Time: 49:18.7
Average Pace: 4:56/KM = 7:56/mi
Overall Pace: 28/332
Gender Place: 28/331 (yes, there was one male)
F20-29: 12/102


It certainly wasn't my best 10K race performance (now I'm itching for another 10K this season for redemption), but I'll call it a good effort and a decent tempo pace.

Stay tuned to find out how the long run went this morning!


*My PT went on to win the race in 37:03!

37 comments:

Mark said...

Love the report, great effort considering being sick! You look great in the pics! Congrats!!

Unknown said...

Look at al those great photos. Id never know you hadn't been feeling well if you hadn't said it; you look great!

Unknown said...

Great post and congrats on running a great race!

Unknown said...

Great report! Hope you feel fully recovered soon.

Bethany + Ryan said...

Nice job! Hope u r feeling better now? Are u tall? Lol, your legs look so long in those pictures, lol

ajh said...

Love that hat! What a lot of pictures. There are some awesome ones!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

good work! you did awesome even without the water and sunglasses. usually forgetting stuff like that messes me up. but you pulled it together and got such a great time! i'm horrible at 10k's i've only ever done one and it was such a disaster. good work!

Jamie said...

You did great! Nice race report and pictures too! I hope you are feeling better now.

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Great pics! How did the guy slip in there?

Char said...

I'm with you - I'd much rather have a race shirt than a hat! What a great run you had - sub 50 when you've been sick all week is nothing to be sneezed at. (excuse the pathetic double entendre)

Teamarcia said...

Squinting maybe but look at those sinewy quads!
Still a great race! And oh for a Lulu shirt!

Anonymous said...

You're awesome! I would love to run as fast as you do. :)

Nicole said...

love the pics!!! great job on the race too- you rocked it!!!!!

anners said...

Angus Glen 10k in November? :)

It was nice seeing you there!

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

Even though it wasn;t your best you did great! What about Labour Day 10K Oakville? I may be doing that one if my groin pull us better this week!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Love all the pictures. the KM times are SOOO CONFUSING! that must be how you feel when you read our paces.

Hugs! 10K's are EVIL!

Boris T said...

Great effort and great pics.

I wonder who the one guy was?

Anonymous said...

You look great for someone who has been feeling down recently! Glad you felt better enough to get out there- congrats on a strong 10K effort despite the challenges!

Q said...

I love your k by k reports! Sorry to hear you aren't feeling great :-(.

EndorphinBuzz said...

That hat looks huge on you. Good work on the run, still a decent time for a 10k despite the sickness.

Kelly (She Wears a Red Sox Cap) said...

I'd say that's definitely a great effort especially considering you were sick AND you forgot a few things haha.
I can't believe how fast your PT did that...right now I feel like my 5k is going to be close to that. Haha okay maybe not quite but still!

Laura said...

Awesome effort and race! That's a big hat....
Great pics - as usual...

Ali said...

I think that's an awesome performance, sick, recovering or not! Well done and great pics.

Denise said...

marlene!!! incredible pace and you were sick! great job! you look fabulous in the pictures, too.

Quinton J said...

Congrats on a strong run...and right after the cold to boot!

Anonymous said...

you did Great! Especially with all things considered! how are those Immunity "candies" helping out? ;)

Anonymous said...

u always look so strong in ur photos.
great that u r feeling better. and that was a pretty good race.

as always, great job marlene!!!

Katie A. said...

Whoo hoo! Nice work when you weren't feeling 100% - you did awesome! And, I love your race photos!
I love hats - I don't wear shirts! Ha! So I love when I get hats ;)

Runners Fuel said...

great race!!

Amy said...

Glad to hear you're feeling better! Great job on the race and the report. Those are some awesome pics!

J said...

Great race report! You look really good in all your photos! I was laughing at the woman behind you with the sunglasses in the final photos you posted! I have found it really hard to find 10k races in this area for some reason.

Andrew Opala said...

Did you have like 300 people filming you on your run?

Great report and fabulous time!

Heidi said...

You did fantastic! I can't wait to get under 50 minutes for a 10K(next year for sure!). I think I have that same tank you're wearing.

Lindsay said...

Great photos! And good tempo-effort run. I use that as my excuse when I don't do as well as I wanted LOL, but it's also a valid excuse I'm not knocking ya I promise! Hope you are feeling 100% again :)

Unknown said...

Great job pulling through to the end. I hate it when they mesh races together; they should come from two different directions into the same finish area.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I love that photo of you at the beginning in your hat. So cute!

why was there a guy?

How do you remember all that detail? I am using every brain cell to keep moving forward. Great race and wonderful recap!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I love that photo of you at the beginning in your hat. So cute!

why was there a guy?

How do you remember all that detail? I am using every brain cell to keep moving forward. Great race and wonderful recap!