Thursday, February 12, 2009

I have good news and bad news

The Good

In the past two days, my shoulder has improved significantly. I was able to leave the sling off all day today, except to exercise (25 mins bike, 10 mins stepmill). The shoulder was a little achey, most likely adjusting to holding the weight of my arm again, but for the most part it felt good. Motion is still limited and I can't push/pull/lift anything, but I consider this tremendous progress.

Yahoo!

The Bad

Over the past couple days I have developed a strange lump under my skin in my forearm. This morning I woke up and it was red, swollen and painful so I made a trip to the clinic. The doctor seemed a little baffled and admitted that she had no idea what it could be, but she seemed to take it seriously. She immediately put me on high-dose anti-biotics (incase it is infected) and anti-inflammatories and I have an ultrasound tomorrow morning.

Please tell me not to worry.

21 comments:

Marcy said...

YAY about the shoulder but I wonder about the lump. Is it like an insect bite? Or something larger than that? I'm sure everything is fine. Let us know how it goes :-)

Road Warrior said...

You definitely shouldn't worry. A lot of times our bodies respond to trauma by creating other issues, like what you had happen. This will be tested and it'll be fine and you cab forget about it.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

WOW. good luck Marlene, that sounds so weird!! hope the antibiotics start helping, and that the ultrasound comes back ok! Let me know if there's anything i can do. Don't worry.

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had the lump checked out. I hope it isn't anything too serious, but it definately sounds odd.

Marci said...

I hope that lump isn't serious, it sounds like an infection.

Do you get strange looks on the stairmaster with the sling on?

Unknown said...

We will be praying for you tonight that it is nothing real serious. Glad the shoulder seems to be healing.

RunningLaur said...

Oh no! Trust in the doctors, I'm sure that they'll be able to figure it all out. You're already in super speedy healing mode - so you'll beat this one too!

Jess said...

Could it just be a spider bite?

Anonymous said...

Very odd about the lump. Glad you got it checked out. Hope all goes well this morning.

Denise said...

Oh no! Keep us posted. Get the ultrasound right away!!

Sarah said...

Where on your arm? Under or on top?

Could be from lack of mobility or pressure from the sling?

I am sure it is NOTHING to worry about!

See you tomorrow honey!

Unknown said...

Don't worry! I am sure it will clear up soon with the antibiotics.

Brian said...

Im not going to say it isnt a problem but you took the right steps to make sure whatever it is is gone soon!

Keep your spirits up!!

Aron said...

uh oh, hope it clears up soon!!!

Heather said...

I'm glad the shoulder is healing. Hope all goes well with your arm!

Run Mommy said...

I wouldn't worry but good idea to get it checked. Better to be safe!

Felice Devine said...

Yay shoulder! Boo lump!
Update from the ultrasound? Please post!

Frayed Laces said...

Ooh keep us posted. Here's hoping its nothing...

J said...

I am sure it is just a random allegic reaction to something. Our bodies are very complicated. i am sure you will be doing better in a few days!

tfh said...

Yay for exercise! Sounds like you're doing all the right things with the bump-- by now you've already had the ultrasound, so I'm hoping that it was reassuring!

Lindsay said...

very weird! i sure hope it is nothing serious. stay positive and hope it just disappears as quickly as it came!

glad you are getting in some workouts and that the shoulder is doing well!