Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New Shoes, a Virtual Bake Sale and 7 Traits

New Shoes

It's out with the old and in with the new! My old pair of Saucony Progrid Stabil CS brought me two half marathon PRs, a 10K PR and most recently a 5K PR. Now I'm counting on the new pair to bring me a marathon PR.



The new shoes came in last week but I didn't want to wear them for the first time during either my 5K race or my 25K run, so I laced them up for the first time yesterday. I'm pleased to report that they feel great. The old ones still have some life in them (despite appearances) so I'll be rotating both pairs for a little while.


Virtual Bake Sale

Lil Runner is hosting a virtual bake sale on July 20th to raise money for Cancer research. Click here to find out more and get involved.

I will be contributing a custom-made batch of my famous power bars, so you won't want to miss that!

(Big thanks to Marci for posting about the event. You must check out her delicious caramel apricot pecan tart, which will also be available in the bake sale.)



7 Traits

I was tagged by both Unathletic Runner and She Wears a Red Sox Cap to list seven of my personality traits. Here goes:

I'm a bit of a neat-freak. I have a habit of putting things away before hubby is finished using them. I've been known to wash and put away a dishes while he's still cooking and the next thing I know, he's asking 'What did you do with the spatula?' I also hate clutter.

I'm organized. Everything has a place and should be in its place (see: neat freak). From my desk at work to our walk-in closet to the hard-drive on my computer, I know exactly where everything is and I can find it in a snap.

I'm dependable. If I say I'm going to do something, I'll do it. If I have to be somewhere, I'll be there - on time. I very rarely cancel plans or appointments and generally don't have to be reminded.

I'm sensitive. My feelings are hurt easily and I am the first person to cry during a book, movie, TV show and sometimes even a commercial.

I'm picky particular. I like foods to be prepared/served a certain way, clothes washed and hung to dry a certain way, the house cleaned a certain way, etc. I also used to be an extremely picky eater as a child (weren't we all?), but I'd like to think I've come a long way.

I'm independent. Before this year, I probably would not have used this word to describe myself. Hubby spent seven weeks on the other wise of the world for work earlier this year. While he has not had to go overseas again, he has since spent several weeks in Montreal (usually just a week at a time), leaving me home alone. For someone who has never lived alone, I think I've handled it well.

I'm driven. I think this goes without saying for many of us runners. We set out to achieve something and (almost) nothing ca get in our way.

That was harder than I thought. And now I call upon these seven bloggers to share seven of their own traits:

Run to Finish
MCM Mama
Common Objects and Everyday Events
Morning Runner
Junk Miles
Shut Up and Run!
Just Running For Fun

28 comments:

Jamie said...

Great list! And what a cool idea for a virtual bake shop. I'm sure I'll be bidding on some goodies :)

Enjoy the new kicks!

X-Country2 said...

I love new shoes. They have marathon PR written all over them!

montisse98 said...

Cool shoes. And, like x-country2 said, they do have marathon PR written all over. Wow, I think I'm a wee bit jealous. :)

Melanie Tait said...

I love the pic of those shoes. The young cub teenager eager to get into the world on the left. The old grandma, tired and ready for a rest on the right. Thanks for sharing those seven traits!

J said...

Aww thanks for the tag! i will definitely have to list my seven personality traits! i am sure the new shoes will give you a marathon PR! You are on a roll!

EndorphinBuzz said...

The new shoes will bring you a PR at Scotia!!

Denise said...

I could copy and paste your 7 traits into my own post!!

Anonymous said...

I love new shoes!! I have many of the same traits as you. I like how you are particular not picky! That made me smile.

Unknown said...

New shoes make me smile. :-)

Anonymous said...

I'm headed back to the running store and think I'm just going for another pair of the shoes I have now - I like your perspective "these shoes brought me PRs!". mine did too! don't fix something that isn't broken right? ;) yessss.

Great list! it's hard to come up with that stuff. :)

Christy said...

My new shoes are expected to arrive today too. I don't know what to do with my current ones. They carried me through my very first half marathon and my PR in 5K. What should I do with them?

Jess said...

New shoes always provide a mental lift to the running.

Great list of traits; sometimes it's hard to see ourselves so clearly.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

yay for new shoes! did i get the box? LOL Great list of traits, lol @ you washing the dishes before hubby is done. :D

B.o.B. said...

I am also sensitive. I cry at everything! LOL!

New shoes are so great, right?

I am all over that bake sale. Watch out people. I am a bidding machine.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Reading your traits I think we would have a lot in common.. Although I dodge the dishes, I am more of a laundry girl..

LOVE new shoes!!!

Marci said...

New shoes rock, and I'm sure they will bring you many new PR's!
I enjoyed reading your traits, I'm a neat freak that hates
clutter too!

Julia said...

New shoes are always so exciting! And so pretty to look at while running :)
I liked your list; I'm super sensitive too. I cry, like several times a week, from silly stuff like a good song, a TV commercial, etc.
I wish I were more organized!

RunToTheFinish said...

well shoot you already listed my seven!

Heather said...

I love every Saucony shoe I've every tried! Your new ones look so nice and shiny. Makes me have new shoe lust. :)

Felice Devine said...

Yahoo for the PR shoooooooes!

No Longer Using said...

i miss bake sales!!! cupcakes for a quarter... sigh. lol

hey thanks for the tag!!!! i haven't seen this particular question set around yet. it's really interesting to think about. i liked your answers!!! driven is a great one. i totally agree.

Lindsay said...

"if it ain't broke..." here's to many more pr's in the new saucony's! :)

love your traits - they are all excellent. i am having a hard time responding to this tag that i got from others! everyone else's just seem so great i feel like mine will be boring.

Erika said...

Nice shoes!

I enjoyed reading about your traits. Now I have a topic for tomorrow's post LOL.

MCM Mama

I Run for Fun said...

Your old shoes really earned their keep...hurray for the new ones.

Nice learning a little about you.

Tatiana said...

Love the idea of a virtual bake sale!! I'll be bidding.

Anonymous said...

Such a great list of personality traits!!!! I hope you enjoy your new kicks!!! I LOVE saucony!

Toni said...

Cool shoes! Love the list.

N.D. said...

Thanks for spreading the word, you're awesome!!