Sunday, April 06, 2008

A new goal in mind

We had some beautiful weather around here this weekend. Blue skies, pleasant temps in the teens and glorious sunshine. It's a piece of cake to get out and run in this! It's so refreshing after a long, harsh winter. I am so thinkful that I am able to run these days. I enjoy every step, every breath. I will never take it for granted again. (Jeez, you'd think I was out for a year, not a few weeks! It sure felt like a year...)

Friday night I ran to the gym and met the hubby there. It was 5K exactly after I ran around the gym parking lot a few times. ;) I had loads of energy and ran it faster than I have in a while...27:16. Took Saturday off (trying to keep one day breaks between my runs as I ease back into things) and this morning I ran my first "LSD" since the Chilly Half: 7.4KM. Pace of 5:50/KM, felt good. I'm a happy camper.

I've done a little bit of soul-searching this weekend to figure out what the heck I want to do. I didn't want to make a decision too quickly, but I am such a goal-driven person that I MUST have a specific race in mind to train for. So here it is: I'm planning/hoping/GOING to run the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon on September 28. The full marathon. 42.2 kilometres. It seems appropriate after running the Half Marathon at this event last year, my first race ever. It really feels like this is my time. I am in the best shape I have been in my life, I have the time to commit to the intense training program and I just want to do it! Running a marathon at 25 years old...something I could never have imagined.

I will be following Hal Higdon's 18-week novice marathon program...no goal time, just a goal to complete (but you know me, I'll have a time in mind before September rolls around). The official training begins the last week of May. Training for a marathon all summer long... have I ever mentioned how much I hate running in the heat?

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

That is a great goal, and pretty monumental when you think that you completed your first HM there the year before :) good luck with your training... i'll be doing the HM there. have a great week!

Sarah said...

You know you can do it and I KNOW you can do it! We'll be there to cheer you on!

Anonymous said...

Hi Marlene. Just came across your blog and this post about training for your first marathon.

You will find training for your marathon an amazing experience, learn so much about your capability, and be thrilled on race day.

Hal Higdon's program is wonderful, and he will get you to the start and finish line successfully.

I wish you the best, and if you're interested in a supportive on-line community of runners, consider joining us at Runners Lounge, www.runnerslounge.com which is a supportive, friendly group.

Keep up your great posting and running!