Sunday, July 20, 2008

The good, the bad, the ugly of a long Sunday run

The good:

I achieved yet another milestone today (this trend should continue each week if evrything goes according to plan) and ran my longest distance yet: 24K! It took 2 hours and 24 minutes for an average pace of 6:00 min/KM. That's my target max for long runs, so I'm happy with it. Overall, it was a really good run. We were up at 5:45 and out the door just after 6. Hubby drove the car to Fairy Lake but I decided to run from home (3K) and met up with him there. I ran the 10-ish kilometre loop twice and it worked out beautifully to 24K.

You can view the run here: My MotionBased

The bad:

I felt a bit of discomfort in my hip at first but kept my pace slow til I warmed up and it loosened up. For the rest of the run, I didn't even notice it. (Not exactly "bad" but I needed something to write here. :p)

The ugly:

It poured rain almost the entire time! It came down steadily for the first 15K, let up briefly, then started again. I was soaking wet and my feet were squishing in my shoes before I had even made it to Fairy Lake. Extremely uncomfortable! I completed several long runs in blizzards last winter, and it was better than the usual Southern Ontario humidity, so I can't complain too much.

Back to the good. I must have done something right as far as fuelling because I had more energy than I did last week for 21K. Dinner last night was a hearty serving of pasta at an Italian restaurant. Got up and had a protein shake (mixed with water, NOT milk) and bowl of oatmeal. I brought water mixed with powdered magnesium as recommended by my nutritionist (not a fan of the metallic taste during a run) and ate 3 Clif Shot Blocks at about 10K and again at 16K.

Had another protein shake when I got home (with glucosamine sulfate) and a freezing cold bath to soothe the muscles. And now hubby is bugging me to hurry up and get off the computer so we can go get an early lunch! Time to recuperate some of the 2600 calories (according to Garmin) I burned this morning.

4 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

congrats on a new milestone! i showed up for our run this morning along with 2 others, and we decided not to run. it was down-pouring constantly, would have been a totally ugly run. hope your hip doesn't bother you too much!

Anonymous said...

That's awesome Marlene!!! WAY TO GO ON THE 24k!!!!
I miss running so much but am enjoying following your progress!!! You should be soooo proud of yourself!!!
ox
-Liss

Marci said...

Glad to read that your back at it. Congrats on another milestone!

Marci said...
This comment has been removed by the author.