Thursday, September 25, 2008

And the panic sets in

First of all, thank you so much for all of your kind comments on yesterday's post. You have no idea how much your support means to me.

This morning I got to work and completed my usual morning routine - good morning to the boss, turned on the computer, nuked my oatmeal, sat at my desk, opened my email... and there it was: one final email from the Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon.

Your Name: Marlene -----
Your Event: Marathon
Your Race Number: 650

From that point on, I spent most of the day shaking and nauseous with nerves. Nerves quickly turned into stress which then turned into MOODY. I had a terrible day at work and didn't start to unwind until I got home.

I'm feeling better now...more excited and less nervous. (It helps that the Grey's Anatomy premiere is coming on soon and that I don't have to work tomorrow.) It's going to be good. When I start feeling overwhelmed, I just visualize the finish line and all of my friends and family who will be there rooting for me. It will all be worth it.

3 more sleeps...

13 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i can only imagine how you're feeling and hope that one day you will be calming me down through my first marathon jitters :) have a great day off tomorrow!!!

Road Warrior said...

Marlene, you're going to rock this marathon. It won't know what hit it. This is natural. Watch some TV and try to keep your mind off of it. You'll be celebrating very, very soon.

Marcy said...

You're going to rock!! ;D ;D Oy, I can only imagine how you feel. It makes me nervous even thinking about it LOL. Just remember to HAVE FUN!! GOOD LUCK!

FLYERS26 said...

Good Luck in the Marathon!
Can't wait to hear yor results. I am runing my 1st in Nov. in Philadelphia.

yumke said...

Hm, didn't get my number yet. No worries, i'm headed to the expo anyways. Being nervous is fine.But when you're lining up with thousands of others, you'll be in the zone.

Anonymous said...

You are SO prepared Marlene! You are going to do great! Keep thinking those positive thoughts and enjoy your day of rest and carbo-loading!

Aron said...

is it all SO worth it!!! i will be thinking of you this weekend!! you are so ready, just stay strong, confident, and excited!! you will be a marathoner SOON!

Unknown said...

I would be worried if I wasn't nervous before a race. It just shows that it means something to you and you want to do well. I'm sure you will.

Anonymous said...

Hey Marlene;

You are going to be TERRIFIC!

We're all a little nervous at this point...

Relax, run easy and comfortable as long as you can, and I'll be waiting for you at the Finish line!

Good luck,

Alan Brookes
Race Director
Scotiabank Toronto Waterfront Marathon

TNTcoach Ken said...

So cool that the race director sent you a note! I was just going to sya, that's what alcohol is for.......

Kevin Westbrook said...

How Exciting Marlene!! Good luck!!! Can't wait to see how it goes!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

woah. i'm number 8600. there are a lot of us.

good luck on sunday!