Wednesday, June 16, 2010

CEP Compression

The folks at CEP Compression were kind enough to send me a couple of their products recently.

CEP offers medical grade compression - Legal Performance Enhancement for the Athlete!

How it works:

info from CEP

Arteries are blood vessels that transport oxygen-rich blood from the heart to the organs and muscles. The musculature of the arterial wall reacts to changes in pressure. The patented compression of CEP socks increases the ambient pressure.

Increased pressure -> relaxes musculature in the arterial wall -> increases arterial diameter -> improves blood flow through the arteries.

Improved blood flow = Improved performance!

  • A faster run;
(CEP research demonstrates improved running times of approximately 5%)

  • An easier run;
(CEP research demonstrates a reduction in exertion by about 6% - muscles working less.)

  • Quicker regeneration;
(Improved recovery.)


CEP sent me their Running O2 Compression Socks.



Give yourself an edge with CEP Running O2 Compression Socks featuring 18-25mmHg compression. Used by professional triathletes around the world, CEP running socks are the first scientifically proven compression running socks to maximize power, boost energy, and speed recovery time. See what all the buzz is about and try CEP Running O2 socks today. With a 30-day money back guarantee, you have nothing to lose. Available for men and women in white, black or pink. Sold per pair.

CEP Running O2 Sportsocks maximize muscle oxygenation and boost energy with CEP's unparalleled scientifically optimized ultimate compression technology for all-day benefits. You’ll run with less effort, increased speed, decreased recovery time, reduced fatigue and optimized performance.


Advantages & Features:

  • Pre-exercise - muscle activation and reduction of injury risk

  • During Exercise - optimized performance and stabilization, reduced muscle strain

  • Post-Exercise - quicker and shorter recovery phase

  • Achilles heel support - additional support of the Achilles tendon protects and prevents irritable tendons.

  • Ventilation channels – create a pleasant foot climate.

  • Padded sole - special support of the foot sole prevents blisters.

  • Anatomically-shaped inline seams – CEP socks come with a left and right model and, as a result, adjust to the anatomy of the foot for a perfect fit thanks to medi’s three-dimensional manufacturing process.

  • CellTex ® Fiber finishing - a new refinement of thread (without chemical additives) facilitates the biological activation of skin cells and provides a comfortable, skin sympathetic and climate-regulating wear.

  • iPS® Integrated power system - a defined compression with scientifically patented pressure profile improves blood circulation and enhances performance.

  • Shin protection

  • Material - 85% Polyamid, 15% Elasthan



I also received a pair of All Sports Compression Sleeves



CEP compression sleeves are the first truly functional compression sport sleeve with a patented pressure flow technology that provide a scientifically proven increase in blood circulation and a consequent increase in performance. CEP sleeves provide more oxygen, more energy, an improved metabolization of lactic acid, and faster recovery so you can return to training quicker than ever.



I was excited to try out my compression socks in hot pink and compression calf sleeves in white.





I love that both the socks and sleeves have custom sizing based on calf circumference. They feel very snug to pull on, but this means that they fit properly! The fabric feels very light once it's on - super stretchy and comfy!

I spent a lot of time wearing the recovery socks after runs (including post-marathon pictured above) before giving them a try during a run. It felt pretty unusual at first, but I quickly got comfortable and found that my legs felt great! I had a little extra bounce in my step and it was nice to know that my muscles were so well supported. I also got a ton of compliments and questions, which made for some good on-the-run discussions.

Next I tried the calf sleeves. They felt similar around my calves to the recovery socks, but offered the option of wearing my usual running socks - a big plus for anoybody who is very particular/sensitive to what is on their feet. Once again they felt fantastic and also solicited a ton of comments.

With products like these, it's difficult to give a definitive answer as to whether or not they have improved running and recovery since these things can vary from day to day based on a number of factors. That being said, they felt great and will definitely be circulating in my wardrobe regularly.

Thanks again CEP!

Have you tried any compression products? Any comments or suggestions?

35 comments:

Carly said...

Great Review. I have been looking for compression socks and bought some through a local running store but they are made for men so they go on a little too easy.

I will have to check these out.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

My CEP calf sleeves went missing and I am freaking out.. I love them and cant find them ugh@@

Jocelyn said...

ooOOOoo these sound so nice! I want!

Courtney @ I CAN DO THIS said...

Thanks for the review!
I LOVE my Zensah compression socks, and I'm about to buy some more socks (would like to try a different brand, just for comparison) and also some sleeves. Glad to know you like CEP!

MCM Mama said...

I have some of the CEP socks and really like them, but you couldn't pay me to put on knee socks in this heat LOL. I hope to get a better idea of their usefulness in the fall.

Anonymous said...

great review!
ive never tried any compression products.
id love to try some compression socks!!

Teamarcia said...

I have CEP socks and recovery Socks and love them both..although I am lusting for some in lime green! I would LOVE to try the sleeves!

Nicole said...

wow! both pair of compression socks sound amazing! i had two pair.. oxy socks and invigorators... i lost my invigorators so all i have is my oxy socks... and i'm the market for a new pair! i'll have to check out the CEP ones- those look niceee!!!

Pahla said...

I have a pair of Zoot recovery tights that I absolutely adore! I got on the compression bandwagon training for my first marathon, and even though I can't put a percentage on it, I do know that I feel better when I wear them after a long or tough workout. Now I'm looking for a compression sock and CEP sounds like the way to go. Thanks for the review!

H Love said...

I want some SOCKS!!! Thanks for the review.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

I recently bought a pair of sleeves, haven't worn them on a run yet though! BUT, I did win a pair of CEP socks from Mel's blog, can't wit to try 'em!

J said...

I have not tried Compression socks yet but I really want to! I may have to pick some up this weekend since I am now running longer distances - I need my legs to recover faster!

justme said...

i bought a pair of zesha ??? and love them.....

Denise said...

reading about the achilles support...maybe i should try them. my run today really aggrevating the stupid thing and i'm in some pain. :-(

ajh said...

I have sleeves. I love them!

ShutUpandRun said...

I've only tried the Sugoi compression tights on my long runs this winter. I have to say, I didn't notice much of a difference in how I felt or recovery, but like you said, it's hard to know. Maybe I would have felt a lot worse without them...

Jill said...

If nothing else, you look darn cute :)!

Emz said...

ok
can I just say. I am jealous.
People send you things?! Like for free?! You are my hero.

I still think the pink is the very best.

Runner Leana said...

Thanks for the review! I've been debating getting a pair of sleeves so that I can wear them at work after long runs, wear them under my dress pants and no one would know!

TNTcoach Ken said...

I trying to look cool when I run......... Aren't your tan lines going to look awful funny?

RunToTheFinish said...

I love my compression pants, I was thinking I might by some CEP at the RNR seattle expo

Christy Ashley said...

I just bought a pair of CEP Compression Socks, I've only tried them out once after a run, but I loved them!

joyRuN said...

I wear the medical compression socks all the time, but they don't have the cool Achilles support that would probably be really nice to have!

Amy said...

What a nice company, sending you stuff for free! I've never tried any compression products but I think that may be my next running-related purchase!

Anonymous said...

Loved the review! I have been wondering how these actually worked and think you did a great job of explaining. They sound like they work wonders!

Anonymous said...

I saw those Calf sleeves all over the place when we volunteered at the Ultramarathon! If their "science" claims are true - I can definitely see where it helped to have them while on a trail run!! Thanks for all the info :) this was interesting!

Gotta Run..... said...

CEP ROCKS!!!! I LOVE MINE!!! All 3 pair!

Unknown said...

Do they really stay up on a long run, say of 15k or greater?

Jess said...

Great review! I love the idea of custom sizing!

Rad Runner said...

I have those same pink CEP's I LOVE THEM you have no idea until you try em.. I just got a black pair to!

Anonymous said...

That's great! I've been looking for sleeves like that for my calves but cannot find them anywhere in my area. I have not heard of that brand before
Katherine

Anne said...

Thanks...I have definitely been seriously considering compression socks or sleeves!

Anonymous said...

Love compression socks. Thanks for talking about the calf sleeves too- they intrigue me.

EndorphinBuzz said...

I'm sure you know this already but you can follow CEP on twitter - http://twitter.com/cepcanada

I've yet to try the compression socks, I always balk at the price tag.

Javed said...

I have learned interesting things from your posts…
cep socks