Friday, July 18, 2008

What now?

Not a heck of a lot to report this week, just a few mediocre runs and some hip woes.

Monday: Attended a funeral out of town for a dear friend's father who was taken away far too soon. It was a sad day, but a lovely service. Arrived home late Monday evening, Pizza Pizza in tow. (oops)

Tuesday: Wasn't feeling very well all day and went for a run too soon after work, while the sun was still high and its heat brutal. It was a slow and heavy 5K. Pretty much BLAH!

Wednesday: Met an old pal from my half marathon clinic for a 9K run at Fairy Lake. Waited til 8PM this time so it wasn't nearly as hot, but I was still lacking energy. Overall, an okay run.

Thursday: Woke up with major hip pain in my right side (imagine that! NOT my left side) and noticed that it was affecting the way I walked - never a good sign. Played softball after work and had a really hard time running the bases. Oww! Took a cold bath when we got home.

Friday: Up with the sunrise in an attempt to beat the humidity (calling for 40C today). Hip felt a bit better so I attempted a run. Hip was not so good afterall. Had to take tiny strides and keep a very slow pace (between 6:30 and 7:00) to dull the pain. Yes, I should have turned around and gone back home but I didn't get up at 5:30 for nothing.

Planning to take it extra easy tonight and tomorrow - lots of ice and stretching, probably another cold bath or two. My mileage will be down for the week but I need to let this hip get better (no idea what I did to it?!). With any luck, I'll be okay for my 24K on Sunday. It's always something, isn't it??

7 comments:

Zorbs said...

How do you get 9K out of Fairy Lake? I used to just walk a loop, starting at the waterfall, go down to Mulock and come back..don't think that was 9K.

Due to a really irresponsible music client, I have to make numerous trips up to Newmarket in the next couple of weeks and depending on the weather/what I am scheduled for I'll either hit Persechini's or try a run.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

i know how you feel about "what now" -- it's frustrating!! take it easy, and hopefully a few days rest will help! how do you do those cold baths!!! Yikes! LOL

Marlene said...

Mel - the cold baths get easier with time. the first few times, I had to FORCE myself to get in there. now, it's almost refreshing. uncomfortable at first, but I hardly notice after a few minutes (wearing a hat, drinking tea and reading a book helps!)... it feels soooo good after!

Zorbs - We park at the Tannery and follow the trail north all the way to the end (Green Lane), turn around and run back past the Tannery and take the trail to Fairy Lake, around the lake and back to the Tannery is about 9K. We make it 11 by passing Fairy Lake and raking the path all the way to Mulock, west on Mulock to Cane Pkway, turn right and it takes you back on to the path (then around the lake and back to The Tannery). Make sense?

Christy said...

I totally agree how it always seems like something gets in the way!

I really notice that when I get to my higher km LSD's that too many weeks in a row of it really takes it told on me and i start hurting in new places all the time. I normally try to scale back on the km for my big run that week and it really helps. This may be one of those week unfortunately.

Marci said...

Rest up. Today was a humid mess. I only did 5K myself! Hope you feel better. Don't be afraid to miss your long run, the rest is sometimes more important than training when you are no up to par.

Lily on the Road said...

I'm with Marci, nothing is written in stone, don't do the 24K unless you really feel up to it. You may cause more damage to both hips....

Please get that looked at, it has been bothering you long enough...let us know how you're doing!!!

Sarah said...

Sweet girl can you ever catch a break? Keep plugging away i say. Can't wait to see you cross the finish line!