Monday, May 16, 2011

Race Week Recap + Race Morning

After 18 weeks of training, it all came down to this. I felt strong, (mostly) calm and ready going into race week. I was starting to get anxious and I was just ready to get the show on the road.

But I still had a few runs to complete...


Monday - rest


Tuesday - 16K (2 runs) with 4K MRP

I got up early on Tuesday to complete my last real "workout". I had a bit of a hard time finding and keeping the pace, which is normal for my early morning runs. I didn't let it shake me - I just zoned out and got it done.



10.3KM (6.4mi) - 58:06 - 5:38/KM (9:03/mi)
4 MRP at 5:14, 5:13, 5:13, 5:12

And then I got a speeding ticket on my way to work. :( Oops!












Hubs and I headed out together after work for a short, easy run to finish off the day. 










5.8KM (3.6mi) - 34:33 - 5:57/KM (9:34/mi)


Wednesday - 12K recovery

I split the distance over two runs again, just to keep it easier on my body. I had the day off work and started with an easy run around the 'hood before physio. It was a gorgeous morning, but felt very warm - luckily things were expected to cool off before the weekend.













6.0KM (3.7mi) - 35:04 - 5:50/KM (9:23/mi)

I waited for hubs to get home from work for run # 2 and we went for another easy 6K spin, chatting away about race day. We couldn't believe the day was almost here.












6.0KM (3.7mi) - 35:33 - 5:55/KM (9:31/mi)


Thursday - 8K easy with strides

Thursday night was our final pre-marathon clinic night and it was great to get one last pep talk from Coach Don and join the group for an easy run. We threw in a few sets of strides just to get the legs turning over quickly.


Just a bit excited!!

7.5KM (4.7mi) - 44:59 - 5:58/KM (9:36/mi)


Friday - off

After running 6 days per week for so long, it definitely felt a little bit strange to take a Friday off!


Saturday - shake-out run

There was no set distance for this run, it just had to be enough to move the legs a bit and it had to be s-l-o-w. After trying to sleep in a bit and enjoying a leisurely start to the morning, hubs and I ran together. I decided to have some fun with the distance and run exactly 3.39KM (i.e. 3:39!)

3.39KM (2.1mi) - 21:10 - 6:14/KM (10:01/mi)


Race Week Mileage (pre-26.2): 40 KM (24.2mi) 
Total Time: 3:49:25
Average Pace: 5:53/KM (9:28/mi)


After the run, we got ready and headed to the race expo. Some friends had offered to pick up our kits, but going ourselves is all part of the fun. Then we made our obligatory trip to the Value Village kids' section for our throw-aways.


We then spent the afternoon/evening getting everything organized, watching inspirational movies (such as Run Fatboy Run), checking and re-checking the weather and decorating my essentials with gold stars from Bethany.



We were in bed nice and early and both had a pretty good sleep in our separate beds. Race morning we were raring to go, even though the weather was exactly as horrible as expected: lots of rain and wind.

Not to worry, I was more than prepared to keep myself dry at least until the start...



Our good friends Patricia and Ueli were kind enough to chauffeur us race morning and we met them at 5:30 to make the trek to Mississauga. We arrived in plenty of time and made our first trip to the port-o-potties before meeting up with our whole gang. Luckily it was only drizzling at that point, but the wind did not feel nice at all! I had a few second thoughts about my wardrobe choice (shorts & tank), but there was no turning back now. It was still on the mild side and I assured myself that I would be comfortable as soon as we got started.

I also nearly face planted when I tripped over my make-shift plastic bag booties. Close call!




After chatting a little more and exchanging lots of good luck hugs, it was time to line up.

And you know what happened next! Race report coming soon, I promise!!


42 comments:

Denise said...

i'm dying for the race report! don't keep us hanging too much longer.

Michelle said...

Oh, this is torture! Getting us right to the starting line and leaving us hanging! Get to the good stuff here! We're addicts! Waiting for our fix!!!

Being Robinson said...

can't wait to hear all about the race. and that cake is awesome!

Teamarcia said...

Awww that's the sweetest cake ever! Can't wait for the full report!

Kerrie said...

Teaser, teaser!

Amy said...

What a tease! Can't wait for the full report!

macnic said...

I'm waiting for the report as well! I do LOVE the cake and all of the photos!

Shawn said...

Awwww, you are a tease. The cake looks fantastic and I can not wait to read the full race report!

Anonymous said...

ur killing me!!!

dawn @ running the dawn said...

seriously i'm so excited/proud of you and hubs! amazing! i know that BQ's are not easy to earn and i can't wait to hear the entire saga of how you got your's!

Heidi said...

WOOOOHOOOO Congrats to you both. You guys definitely put in the work and reaped the results. Awesome!

Mark said...

Cliff hanger!!! So proud of and for you guys!!

Char said...

You are such a tease.

Jill said...

The cake is awesome!!!!

Quinton J said...

CON-FREAKING-GRATS!!!!!!!!!! You guys deserved this more than anyone.

J said...

I think race week is the best! You did great and I can't wait for your report!

Val said...

Super exciting! You make it sound so easy, but I'm guessing your race report will reveal the challenge of the actual run. ? Or maybe you are just a pain-free rock star? Looking forward to the race report.

misszippy said...

You're such a tease! Can't wait to hear the details...obviously your lead-up week was perfect, all but that speeding ticket!

Anonymous said...

So very exciting... and I'm so very excited to read the full recap!!

Nicole said...

Msquared!!! BQsquared! AHHH so happy for your both!!! give mark a high five for me!!! :) i need to see you SOON!

ajh said...

Love the cake. How sweet.

Nicole @ Haute Runner said...

Congrats!! Love the VV and garbage bag outfits!!!

Great cake!!

Christine said...

LOVE the pre-race outfit :)

Gotta Run..... said...

such a tease..... LOVE THE CAKE!!!

N.D. said...

congrats!!!!

Jason said...

Congrats on the BQ. That is just awesome.

I love the movie Run Fatboy Run. I could watch that repeatedly and I have.

Seriously, congrats. I am so excited for you. That is awesome.

Anonymous said...

OMG that cake! ha, who was responsible for that masterpiece? ;) can't wait to hear the full story!

Heather said...

Gosh, I was there (ran the half) and probably saw you 200 meters from the finish where I stood with my camera, taking pics and cheering. Great time!

MCM Mama said...

I can't wait for the race report, but I love how much fun you and your hubby have with the running. So very inspiring!

Julie D. said...

oh, that is too fun! of course, love the 'kiddie' throw aways and the cake?!! AWESOME!!

Richelle said...

You and your hubs find the best throwaways! Seriously... so hilarious!

That cake looks delicious! And well-earned!

I can't wait to read the race report! I'm so excited for you and Mark! I even texted my fiance after I found out you guys had BQ'ed. :)

Jessie said...

I love the separate beds idea!! If one should have a unrestful night there is no reason both should suffer! Great idea! I am so happy for you!!! Your training was awesome!

Jess said...

A solid week leading into the race! No wonder you performed so well!

Laura said...

Can't wait to read the rest and the cake??? you guys are so cute....

No Longer Using said...

YOU ARE AMAZING MARLENEEEE!!! love the pictures and the cake :) ahhhh you both must feel so good. hang out with this high for awhiiiiile :)

also i've decided the speeding ticket was SYMBOLIC and a GOOD omen :) speeeed.... can't hold you back!

B.o.B. said...

eeek! can't wait for the recap. so. stoked. btw, we were having marlene updates all morning on sunday. red was so cute and kept checking to see how you did. awesome!

Aron said...

Okkkkkkk waiting ever so patiently ;) but I know you have to tell the story in order - great job on everything leading up to the race!

Anonymous said...

I love that you watched inspirational movies such as Run FatBoy Run pre race! That movie is awesome! :) Way to rock it last week! So So happy for you! :)

yumke said...

Okay, you've had two weekdays off. no reason why that race report shouldn't be up.. :)

Anabela (Bela) Neves said...

You must be on cloud nine.....I am now calling you and hubby the "power couple"....awesome!

Emz said...

I'm sooooooooooooo loving these photos. Love the speeding ticket grin. only you would be smiling. ;)

and I love the photo where you expose the tummy hair on the hubs. ;)

Carly said...

CONGRATULATIONS To you both! That is just too awesome for words!

LMAO at the speeding ticket....you are speedy in all areas of your life.