Monday, May 09, 2011

Week 18

And just like that, my first week of taper is complete! I felt a little tired on some of my runs, which was to be expected, but for the most part it went really well. I've never run this kind of volume the week before race week - a drop of about 20% from my peak mileage. I hope it will help my legs remember what they need to do in 6 days, whereas in the past they have gone into couch potato mode.


Monday - rest

This is where you will usually find me on a Monday evening...




Tuesday - 21K with 3 x 5000 @ 102%MRP [1000 recoveries]

Recap

Goal:  ~5:07/KM
5:06 - 5:05 - 5:07 - 5:06 - 5:05
5:05 - 5:07 - 5:06 - 5:05 - 5:06
5:04 - 5:06 - 5:05 - 5:06 - 5:06

21.1KM (13.1mi) - 1:52:00 - 5:18/KM (8:32/mi)



Wednesday - 10K recovery

Hubs and I headed out after work for on this sunny but windy evening for a recovery run. I wore my marathon shoes for the first time! They felt great, but my legs were feeling a little stiff and awkward. Sometimes that happens when I have a physio appointment followed by several hours sitting in a desk. We took it slow and shook things out, having an impromptu photo shoot in the process.




How's my form?

10.1KM (6.3mi) - 58:29 - 5:47/KM (9:19/mi)



Thursday - 13K with 3 x 1600

Clinic night started off with a taper pep talk from coach and some advice for race day. I know this stuff already but it doesn't hurt to hear it once or twice several times.

We headed out for our interval run and although I had a different workout on deck, it was nice to have company for the warm-up/cool-down and on some of the loops.

I had planned on a moderate effort for the 1600s since I realize there is no fitness to be gained at this point - just enough to move my legs and keep the momentum going.

7:11 - 7:05 - 7:08

They felt a bit harder than they should have for those splits, but that's taper for ya!

13.5KM (8.4mi) - 1:10:35 - 5:14/KM (8:25/mi)



Friday - 6K recovery

I headed out for my first lunch run in a while! It was nice to get out mid-day, even though it started pouring as soon as I stepped outside and literally stopped when I got back to the office. Felt a little tired, but my legs woke up as I went along.

3rd day in a row wearing a SL10K race shirt - must be the theme of the week!

6.2KM (3.9mi) - 35:33 - 5:44/KM (9:14/mi)



Saturday - 8K easy

Gorgeous sunny morning for a run and I wore shorts outside for the first time this year! Ran an impromptu progression run, starting at recovery pace and finishing off around MRP.


8.0KM (5.0mi) - 43:42 - 5:28/KM (8:47/mi)
 

 
Sunday - 21K with 6K at MRP

In the past I've always cut my "long" run to 10 miles the week before the marathon, but I felt a lot better about keeping it at 13 during this taper. I ran some alone and some with my group, with the middle portion around MRP (a bit faster): 5:09, 5:09, 5:06, 5:06, 5:06, 5:05.

It was over before I knew it and the run felt pretty good.

21.0KM (13.0mi) - 1:52:00 - 5:20/KM (8:35/mi)



Total Week 18 Mileage: 79.9KM (49.6mi)
Total Time: 7:12:19
Average pace: 5:25/KM (8:43/mi)

6 sleeps til Mississauga Marathon!!!!!!

31 comments:

Richelle said...

Still an impressive week for being your first taper week! Glad you're feeling great! You also look great, Marlene! :)

dawn @ running the dawn said...

ummm, i love that your taper week kicks my current highest mileage week. you are a beast woman!!!!

Anonymous said...

with all this downtime, what do u do with it? lol

grat taper week. i like how u r still kinda working hard but laying off the milage and speed. good luck this week and ill look for u in mississauga next week!

Jill said...

Look at all that green-ness in the background, looks like spring has finally arrived in Canada!! :)

I know this marathon is going to be an amazing one, I just KNOW it!!! You are so ready!!!!

Laura said...

I didn't know what to do with my seriously white legs when I busted out the running skirt yesterday. Great taper week...it flew by!

Running Ricig said...

great week! Yay for running in shorts finally!!

RunToTheFinish said...

i like the slightly longer long run before the race too, i feel less sluggish. wohoooo so close!!

Teamarcia said...

I so love the point when 13 miles are 'over before you know it'. You are more than ready girl!
I made the mistake of not busting out the shorts--so not used to heat of any kind yet!

Jen Feeny said...

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh I can't believe it's race week! So excited for you girl!!!

Amy said...

Woohoo! Way to go on another great week!

B.o.B. said...

nice week. i like all of your poses. lol! good luck on your upcoming race. i'm sure you'll do great!

Gotta Run..... said...

If only tapers could be a little LESS crazy. Still, you are heading into this one focused. Eye on the prize girl!!!!

Runners Fuel said...

So happy you finally got to run in shorts!

Joanna said...

I can feel my legs starting to wind up, getting ready to spring into action on Sunday. We're so close!!

Michelle said...

Getting so excited for you!
Thought of you yesterday...I overdressed and HAD to take my shirt off with only my sports bra. Two things: 1) Have never felt confident enough to even consider doing that! 2) Sorry to all the drivers in Walla Walla who had to be scarred with seeing my ghost white skinny and a little bouncy baby flab!!!

Beth said...

yay for shorts and short sleeves and for seeing green grass, ahhh, gotta love this time of year. I have a picture for you that i tried to print out but i think i will jsut end up emailing it to you or uploading it to facebook and tagging you in it. Enjoy your week!! I am so excited for this weekend! I love seeing people crush their PRs!!!

Holley @ Lunges and Lashes said...

nice week of runs!!! your race is sooo soon! good luck! you will rock it!

No Longer Using said...

you and the hubs are a perfect couple :) love how much you share around running.

happy monday!!!!!!!!!!!

Mark said...

I love your form and your smile and your attitude! I'm excited for you!

Julie D. said...

Holy cow, 6 days!!! so excited!!

Jess said...

Amazing that that's your TAPER mileage!

ajh said...

It will be here before you know it! Whoopie!

Heather said...

Nice training week - you are almost there! Glad you had some nice sunny runs too. :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing those mid-week 13+ mile runs :) That's a lot of self motivation to get out there for those distances!

You're READY for this.

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! A fellow Canadian runner very exciting. All the best in Mississauga. I am currently training for the National Capital race weekend in Ottawa

Char said...

It sounds like it's all going really well. And look at you - wearing shorts and a t. Spring has finally hit.

J said...

Great work on taper! Can;t believe it is MAY and your race is almost here! The time sure does fly! Enjoy your final week of training!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

49 miles?? I could not dream of that on my highest week of training. you are so poised and so READY!! love that you sport those shirts like a champ, and the form picture made me smile. GO GET IT!! You have earned it buddy! Just wish I was there to give you a hug at the Finish and toast you with a post race glass of wine and pizza for old times..

MCM Mama said...

That's still some serious mileage, my friend! Wow!

Nicole said...

6 sleeps until you BQ!!!!! i need to track you.. email me info!

Aron said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :)

your training has been spot on girl, I can't even tell you how impressed I am of you. Cannot wait to see it pay off Sunday <3