Monday, April 05, 2010

Long Weekend Recap: Running and more running...

Thursday Night:

We had 4 Yasso 800s on the schedule. I upgraded myself to a faster pace group because I knew I wouldn't get enough of a workout running 4:00 800s (that's only slightly faster than my half marathon pace).

Our target was 3:45-3:50 per 800. The results:

3:31
3:36
3:32
3:28

Oops! We all got a bit carried away knowing that we only had four repeats on deck. We were able to maintain the pace and had a great workout, but we'll definitely have to ease up as the number of repeats increases.

Friday:

Hubs and I headed out for a run together on Friday morning to test out his knee. (He has not been able to run at all in several weeks.) We took it nice and slow and just ran a few kilometres. Fortunately, it went very well. No pain during the run, afterwards, or the next day. Hopefully this means he can gently ease back into running and soon I'll have my running buddy/pace bunny back!

We spend the remainder of Friday having a brunch and BBQ. It was a gorgeous day (record-breaking temperature) well-spent with friends and family. Unfortunately I forgot the sunscreen and ended up with an April 2nd sunburn for quite possibly the first time ever.

Saturday:

Harry's Spring Run Off

Sunday:

It was time to meet up with my training group for our usual Sunday long run. It was a fall-back week to 25K/15.5mi and myself along with a few others decided to push the pace a little. I wasn't sure how my legs would react after Saturday's 5K and just a week after the 30K race, but I actually felt pretty good. We ran a hilly route (what else is new??) partially on trails, which gave our legs a good beating as we went up and down, up and down. We picked it up even more for the last few kilometers for an overall average of 5:40/KM (9:07/mi), by far the fastest I have ever run this distance in training.

My legs felt pretty trashed from the hills and I forced myself into an ice bath once I got home. This will likely become a regular occurrence in the upcoming weeks of big mileage.

The beautiful weather continued and we were able to spend the rest of the day outdoors with family.

How was your holiday weekend? I'll be catching up with everyone today!

35 comments:

Anne said...

Wow! That's a great pace for 25K...totally impressed here:)
Sounds like you had an amazing weekend!

sneakersister said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Hills are great, don't you think? I've loved focusing on them this winter.

My weekend was so relaxing, just the way a weekend ought to be.

Anonymous said...

Yay, hopefully your running buddy will be back for good! Sounds like you had a great weekend!

misszippy said...

Sounds like a great weekend of racing/training! Glad you have your husband back.

Runner Leana said...

So glad to hear your hubs ran pain free! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for both of you!

ShutUpandRun said...

Rest up those legs of yours after the hills. Glad the hubs is back in action..

Anonymous said...

sounds like u had a great weekend!!! very nice and relaxing. its good that ur husband is almost ready to start running again.

question about the 800. is that 800 meters and were you doing them in 4 minutes? and then what do you do in between the repeats?
how can i do them on the treadmill? how much would 800 meters be in miles?

ajh said...

You do push yourself and are very impressive! You are ready for a hilly race or whatever you encounter!

RunningLaur said...

What a great weekend! Hope your husband's knee gets its act together!

EndorphinBuzz said...

Looks like to me you'll be the one doing the pacing at least for a while when Hubs come back on the road. Good work on those super fast 800!

Jen Feeny said...

You were a very busy girl this weekend!!! Great job on those speedy paces!

Being Robinson said...

nice on the yassos! seriously, i wanna be like marlene this year. you are kicking some butt my friend, love it!

I Run for Fun said...

What an awesome weekend! You did a lot of running. I am beginning to love Yassos.

Great job on the 5K. That is an awesome pace for hills!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Speedwork a fast 5K and 15.5 miles. WOWZERS!! You are a running machine.

So funny that you got a sunburn, we are getting the "April Showers" part of Spring. I would not mind so much but the wind and hail are a PAIN...

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Happy to see that Mark is running again!!! Fantastic job on your run, and hasn't the weather been amazing!!! Whoohoo!!

J said...

Sounds like a good weekend! Great job on the those 800s! Very impressive!!

RunToTheFinish said...

ick I hate 800's in fact I think I may have vowed never to run them again :) But my hill workout today was killer..and I loved it

Unknown said...

I LOVE the 800's and that feeling of wanting to go fast because you're only doing 4, totally GET that! They changed my pace this training go-around. I will definitely integrate them into my race training from now on! I think I first heard of them from you and then I read about them and ta-day...the really WORK! Thanks for that.
YIKES on the sunburn...bad girl!! Well, at least it was your first time. Cover up!

Amy said...

Sounds like a great weekend! I was definitely missing the cottage in Ontario this weekend seeing all of those record breaking temperatures on the news! It was cool and windy in BC.

Great job on all the running and great news that you have your running buddy back!

Jill said...

Busy running there, girl - and impressive!! Glad your running hubby is back in town to run with ya!!

Anonymous said...

You've been busy over there!! Repeats and 5ks and Looong runs :)

considering how often your LRs involve hills (um, Every week?) - I'm a little intimidated to find out what you actually consider "hard" hill runs...ha! I doubt I could keep up!

Toni said...

Sounds like a great weekend!

N.D. said...

great job upgrading yourself - those times are great, a 3:30 marathon is next! Glad the run w/ your husband went ok as he starts to get back into it.

Jess said...

That's a fast long run; nice job!

No Longer Using said...

yay for an ice bath cure all! i'm a believer :)

niiiiiiiiiice weekend marlene styyyle! :) and hooray for your hubby!!!!!! good timing to start getting better with the better weather!!!!! i'm wishing him all the best!

Anonymous said...

That's an awesome pace - great job!!

Heather said...

What a great weekend of running! Love the great weather.

MCM Mama said...

You are getting crazy fast!

Glad your hubby's knee felt good and hopefully he'll be back out there with you soon.

MCM Mama said...

You are getting crazy fast!

Glad your hubby's knee felt good and hopefully he'll be back out there with you soon.

X-Country2 said...

Great pace! Looks like you're ready for spring race season.

Kerrie said...

Trails totally kill my feet! The April 2 sunburn thing cracked me up being a Pacific Northwesterner. :)

Thanks for your comment today. I totally skipped my run and am feeling just fine about it.

Jamie said...

That is one run-tastic weekend! Nice job!

Denise said...

we're having beautiful weather here, too!! i just can't get enough of being outside.

i'm glad hubs knee is feeling better.

prashant said...

Sounds like a great weekend! Hills are great, don't you think? I've loved focusing on them this winter.
data entry work from home

Nicole said...

wow you ran alot!!! way to go girl!!! your getting some sick mileage in!