Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Lunch Intervals

I was in recovery mode from Around the Bay 30K last Tuesday, but today it was back to my usual lunch special.

Since I will be running Yasso 800s with my training group every Thursday from here on out, I opted for some longer/slower intervals today. I'm thinking of swapping this for tempo runs on Tuesday starting next week.

The plan:

3 x 2000m progressively faster from 5:00/KM (~tempo pace)

The results:

1000m warm up
2000m (4:54, 4:54)
500m recovery jog
2000m (4:53, 4:44)
500m recovery jog
2000m (4:41, 4:34)
500m recovery jog
1000m (4:24) **bonus**
500m cool down

I cruised through the first two sets, but had to make a very conscious effort to achieve a negative split on that final 2000. It certainly didn't help that I had turned into a pretty strong wind. After finishing the planned workout, I still had a good distance back to the office so I decided to see what I could do for one final 1000m. This was pretty close to puke threshold! (and also my target 5K pace for this year - eek!)

So far, I haven't received any comments on my appearance this afternoon. Maybe I wasn't working hard enough?

***

Shut Up and Run is hosting an Insane Contest and Giveaway. You don't want to miss this!


***

I would also like to say THANK YOU and WELCOME to my new followers! 300? Wow! If you're new, please leave me a comment to introduce yourself! I hope to have a chance to visit all of you soon.

32 comments:

Jen Feeny said...

Great job out there today! I don't know how you manage those on your lunch breaks! Then again you don't live in Hades. I can't even run another p.m. session til at least October or November now. :( Boo!!!

Aron said...

NICE job out there!!! i dont know how you manage to do these on your lunch break either ;)

teacherwoman said...

Nice job girl!

Anonymous said...

Great job today!!

PS - You look hawt!

No Longer Using said...

BAM!!!!!!!!! that is what this post says in one word :) i love your bonus interval and the puke threshold. way to go marlene. DAMNNNNNN :)

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You rocked it! I need to get a babysitter and do some mid-day interval training!

Rachel said...

Way to make your lunch productive!!! You rocked it!

Anonymous said...

2000m intervals?? I get confused easily with "meters" , but that's OVER a mile, right? so basically you ran...um...pretty far! heh That's seriously impressive, especially during LUNCH. (when you do eeeeat??)

Denise said...

ew, i don't like puke threshold.

i've been thinking of heading out during lunch for some runs...just dread getting all sweaty and having to shower again. but then again, i could fake shower like you... :-)

Teamarcia said...

I'd say you worked plenty hard! Amazing what you can accomplish on your lunch break!

Anonymous said...

Yay for lunchtime intervals! You rock! I finally took your advice and had some intervals for lunch today too! Thanks for the inspiration.

Heather said...

Awesome job on those intervals!

EndorphinBuzz said...

Wow you just keep on getting faster and faster. Great work out there!

Anonymous said...

nice lunch!
the winds have been pretty brutal lately! so careful out there.....we dont want you blowing away!

happy tuesday!

Unknown said...

Lunch time running again? I'm sure you worked hard enough, I wouldn't worry about that one.

Jen said...

Great job...

Char said...

What a great session you had. You hit your goal every time and then added one for good measure. You train like a champion

TNTcoach Ken said...

Maybe they're getting accustom to your new appearance..... ha

Unknown said...

great job on the lunch time run. musta' cleaned up better than last time. lol :-)

N.D. said...

Haha I think your coworkers are expecting it now.

amyteee said...

Hi Marlene--I am new to your blog, although I spent quite a bit of my long weekend reading the entire thing (yep, all postings since '06!) because I was so caught up in your story. I really read it like a book I couldn't put down. Your blog holds lots of truth, humour, inspiration and miles!! Congrats on all of your achievements!
amy

ajh said...

Great job! Maybe you just look plain great because your happiness from your lunchtime runs is radiating off you!

Anonymous said...

That's a lot of speedwork- no wonder how you are getting so fast!
Congrats on all the followers too! Wow!

Anne said...

You are such a rockstar woman!!!

Carly said...

Nice work!!!

Unknown said...

Nice work!

When I did this kind of training I try to be regular in the "2000m" section.

I change the warm up and cool down distance. I did 5km and after I start to run :)

I'm a new reader of your blog ... compliment ... it's interesting :)

Bye
Andrea (italy)

J said...

Oh I see the banner has changed! We are now into spring! No more snow covered road! I love it!! You always have such great pictures!

Great job on the intervals! I gave up on Tuesday intervals for the past few weeks. It was time a change!

Pining for Pinterest said...

Way to go!!! You always motivate me to want to do more!

run with Jill said...

Hey there. I"m new to your blog.
I'm running Seattle 1/2 in June so perhaps we can meet up. I live in Seattle.
Running Chicago marathon in October.

Lindsay said...

Sheesh Marlene!! You rocked it :) I tried running at lunch last week out here in the sticks... It happened to be 85 that day, go figure. I was a hot mess going back into work without a shower but at least this is a construction site. I doubt the men noticed any new funky smells ;)

Who ADDS more laps of torture? Crazy :)

prashant said...

Nice job girl!
data entry work from home

Nicole said...

Nice job lady! you kicked BUT out there!