Thursday, February 10, 2011

Three Things Thursday

1. My blender has been broken for months and I recently got my hands on this beauty by Cuisinart. I've been horribly deprived of smoothies, but now I can finally whip up my green monsters again! These suckers hit the spot and pack a decent nutritional punch. I'd like to experiment with some protein powders, but for now I'm keeping it simple with banana, frozen berries, yogurt, OJ and spinach. Mmmmm!

Any recommendations?





2. I couple of weeks ago I had a pretty bad streak of forgetfulness - it was the week after we returned from Antigua, in fact. (Hmmm, makes sense now... I left my brain at the beach!)

  • On a Wednesday night I left my shoes behind after our group run. (I had packed a clean/dry pair because I was headed straight to the grocery store post-run.) I didn't even realize I had forgotten them until a friend who works at the store let me know. It wasn't a big deal since I was able to pick them up before our run the following night, but I am not one to leave things behind... Little did I know, this was only the beginning.
  • The next night we had our clinic session and run. I came home from work, changed and ate in a rush as usual and headed to the store. A few minutes onto the run, I noticed that something felt off. I was still wearing my underwire bra! There was no turning back so I had a good laugh with the girls and stuck it out. Aside from some minor annoyance with the strap continuously falling down, it wasn't too uncomfortable - but I definitely don't recommend it!
  • The next day I packed my bag as always for a run over lunch and wouldn't you know, I forgot to pack socks!! All I could do at this point was shake my head at myself. I decided to run in my work socks, which wasn't too bad except that I was then stuck wearing them for the rest of the work day. Did I mention there were a lot of puddles that day?
And just when I thought I had gotten through this absent-minded phase... I showed up at the gym yesterday morning at 6AM without my shoes. D'oh!!!


3. I'm on a recovery week and while I'm doing a little bit less running, I've decided to do a little bit more cross-training. I've had the P90X set sitting around for a while and finally decided to pop one in on Monday night - Yoga X. I only had time for half of the 90 minute workout, but I'm not sure I could have survived the whole thing anyway. This yoga is no joke! My heart was pumping, my skin was glistening and my muscles were trembling as we powered through each set of movements. I finished off the second half of the workout on Tuesday night.

Last night I hit up a spin class for the first time in a couple of weeks - always an awesome workout and fun way to mix things up. I have bootcamp and a hot yoga class lined up for later this week!

Do you bump up the cross-training on your recovery weeks?

33 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Yay for green monsters! I've got Muscle Milk vanilla whey powder from Costco--love it!
I'm also using coconut milk.

MCM Mama said...

Your forgetfulness is typical around here. In fact, my friends all call it "mommy brain". Maybe you are just getting in some practice for when you decide to have kids. ;o)

I'm just now starting to cross train - so not sure what I'll do when I have recovery weeks...

Anonymous said...

So excited for you and your new blender. :) I am an anything goes kind of girl as far as the green monsters go. My favorite naughty green monster treat is banana, spinach, peanut butter, almond milk and a bit of cocoa powder. Chocolate peanut butter deliciousness! :)

Gotta Run..... said...

That P90X yoga is crazy-hard. Nothing ZEN about that :)

I have ran in my wire bra once.... HURT... that is all I have to say about that.

J said...

Never had a green monster but I was thinking last night I need more iron and I just happen to have spinach in the fridge...

I love to cross train, but with the new training plan its harder to fit it in.

ShutUpandRun said...

I really want to try that Yoga X. Do you recommend it?

Don't know a thing about protein powders.

Funny about the forgetfulness!! Sure it has something to do with the vacay where your mind was allowed to turn to jello for a bit!!

Jen Feeny said...

LOL on our twin training recovery weeks and blog posts about it! :)

I'm so jealous of your blender! I really, really need to get one! Those green monsters sound yumtacular!!!!

Thanks for sharing your forgetful FAILs... I'm glad I'm not the only one!!! Must be marathon training brain!

funderson said...

hmm..maybe I should send you some of the frozen chard I have stuffed in my freezer. I'm having a heck of a time getting through it. :)

Jill said...

I use Isopure protein powder, it's an isolate protein which basically means more protein is being absorbed (not all proteins are absorbed equally. Egg whites are the highest protein food out there which is absorbed into the body for muscle repair). Comes in a lot of flavors and I mix the vanilla into my smoothie. Yummy!!

Great XT week, girl!!

Meg said...

I totally thought you were going to say you were forgetful because you were pregnant :rofl: And then I was sad you didn't tell us before posting about it. LFMAO

And then I realized that I was being stupid. You might post before telling us, but there's no way you'd get pregnant during marathon build :rofl:

Black Knight said...

That green monster looks good.
You forgot the socks and one time I forgot the boxer, it was a terrible experience.
During the recovery weeks I add extra swim.

RunKathyRun said...

I'm really starting to get into green smoothies as well; try chard instead of spinach some time. I haven't added protein powder yet either but want to try it soon.

Runners Fuel said...

I think I'm going to try one of those green monsters sometime soon!

Nitmos said...

That green monster concoction looks gross but sounds oddly delicious.

Carrie said...

P90X - I love it!! :) The yoga is intense, for sure! I love hot yoga, so I wasn't expecting to be as wow-ed by the p90x yoga as I was, but it's great!
You are lucky your forgetfulness is temporary. I wish I had a good excuse for mine. This week I forgot to switch my orthotics from my runners to my boots for a day of walking, my apartment keys on a run, oj at the grocery store....and that's just the past four days!

Emz said...

not sure how you guys stomach that green stuff.

i
can't
do
it. :(

I love my spin class 2x a week. Keeps me motivated.

and slightly less forgetful. ;)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

That drink looks a little intimidating..

Oh we are kindred spirits, I am the QUEEN of forgetful.. where is that darn Ipod cord :)

Nope I am LAZY no cross-training.. Bad Melanie Bad!!

Anonymous said...

yay for green monsters! they always give me so much energy.

i just got the p90x from a friend. so far i have only done the kenpo. i wanna do the yoga soon.
how do u like it?

Jason said...

I have used whey protein powder a few times but in all honesty don't know how necessary that it is.

BTW - my blender leaks and I keep pushing it and pushing it....like the final miles of a marathon and I know it will break now that I read your post.

I have to check out some blenders soon.

Unknown said...

I love spin class! It is my favorite form of cross training -- well, start of cross training as I just began my journey to become a runner :) You can follow it at http://runningtowardtheprize.wordpress.com

I love your blog - such an inspiration to me as I begin my quest! :)

Laura said...

I like a bit of chocolate in my smoothies: Blueberries, choc soy, frozen 'nana, water and Kale - but remove the green leaves from the middle stem part as it will be bitter.
Good for something different than just spinach.

Anonymous said...

I need to get on the smoothie bandwagon!

I always forget socks, so I have secret stashes at work and my car for my forgetful days :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

"My heart was pumping, my skin was glistening and my muscles were trembling" LOL...... what were you doing???????????

Denise said...

yeah for cross training! you're a model athlete and make me so happy!!

i'd die if i ran in my underwire bra. ouch!

Char said...

I don't know if I could stomach that disturbingly green drink. Not because of the ingredients - just because of the colour.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

I think between all the forgetfulness you forgot nearly an entire outfit!
Forgot shoe: Did you run barefoot that day?

I wish I had a blender...maybe food processor is more what I want. I want to make my own hummus. Since I don't really like to drink calories I doubt I'd start being a smoothie girl.

Cross Training. Yeah, I'll get to that. (ok I am doing a little but not nearly enough!) Yoga X is really hard...in a good way.

Marci said...

I have a similar Green Smoothie to yours. I recommend trying chocolate amazing grass powder, and chia seeds or flax for some omegas. I love your new blender!!
I also have my p90x sitting... need to try a workout. I tend to crosstrain more when I take a recovery week, I get restless if I do nothing!

Unknown said...

I always forget something when I have to pack up for track or a race...it drives me crazy. Luckily, I have SWEET and forgiving friends!
I hope your recovery week is going well!

Angie said...

I just tried the green monster smoothie today! I can't believe how yummy it is!! I used cookies and cream protein powder from Target. :) I have P90x, but never have tried the yoga, may have to check it out!

Nicole said...

Ive been pretty forgetful lately too... maybe its the whole my life changed a few months ago and its never gonna be the same! thats good though right? :)

Anonymous said...

At least your forgetful brain remembers the anecdotes for us readers ;)

I've heard the P90X yoga is pretty tough! I like to stick to my classes, always a different kind of challenge, but I'm glad the cross training hit the spot for you! ;)

Julie D. said...

oh my word, that is hilarious. Post vacation forgetfulness mimics pregnant/post-baby forgetfulness. Lucky you, though. Post vacation forgetfulness goes away. Post-baby does not. ;) That is my everyday! LOL

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Ok first of all, love the new blender! I desperately need a new one too! I'll have to look into a cuisinart! And I may have to see what all the commotion is about these Green Monsters...

That's kind of funny about the forgetfulness! So been there!!!

And the Yoga X is seriously no joke!! Tough stuff! And one more thing, recovery weeks?? I know I need to do better about scheduling those. I find it really challenging to plan!