Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Namasté

Wikipedia: Namasté

I started Yoga for Runners last night. What a great experience. The instructor, Susan Delaney, was wonderful. It was a small group (of 8 or 9) and I was the only beginner, so she spent extra time with me on certain poses when needed. I have to admit that it was fairly challenging. I haven't practiced yoga for a couple years and wasn't feeling too limber, but it started feeling more natural toward the end of the 75 minute class.

I know this is going to be good for me, especially in making me a more well-rounded runner. Susan really emphasized the poses that help stretch and strengthen key muscles and joints that endure a lot of strain while running. I have heard and read over and over that having a strong and balanced core improves running mechanics dramatically, which is something else we will be concentrating on.

My newest mission (Susan's recommendation) is to stretch for 30 minutes after each and every run. So instead of plunking down on the couch when I get home, I'll head straight for the yoga mat.

Favourite pose for the week: Pigeon Pose, which felt great through the hips.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's my favourite pose too.