Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Gonna Fly Now



Let me preface this by saying that I am a giant loser. Don't hold it against me. ;)

Several weeks ago I downloaded Gonna Fly Now (aka Theme From Rocky) for my Ipod. I figured it would be one of those songs that could make me run strong and fast, no matter how tired I was. Run after run, I hoped that the song would come on during my standard "shuffle" but it never did. Sure, I could have set it as my "Power Song" but I had a feeling it would come on at just the right time sooner or later.

Well last night, it finally did! I was running up a killer (loooong) hill toward the end of a hard 11K run. It washed over me like a wave of adrenaline and I burned it up that hill! I felt so empowered and had goosebumps all over. I probably had a big goofy grin on my face, and felt like pumping my fists in the air at the top of the hill. Amazing what a good song can do. (Mark - stop laughing at me as you read this!)

I'm not a fan of music during races because A) the Ipod usually annoys me, B) the less I have to carry, the better, and C) I prefer to be immersed in the atmosphere of the race, especially when it's a big city event. But it has me thinking, a song like this could probably do wonders toward the end of 42.2 kilometres.

For now, I think I'll save it as my new Power Song so I can get a little dose of Rocky whenever I need it.

3 comments:

jillian said...

I love it! That song is the definition of a pump-up-song! All you need is some grey sweats now... lol

Marci said...

Ha ha! I like the pic. You should totally run the Philly marathon if you like this song. It was playing throughout the course.

Anonymous said...

Go Rocky!! I mean, Go Marlene!!