Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Aftermath...and an extra recovery day

Yesterday I omitted the nitty-gritty of Post-35K, so here it is, including the reasons I'm taking another recovery day today.

After some stretching and chatter in the parking lot, I headed home (with an extra water and cookie in hand!) around 10:15. Hubby was kind enough to draw a cold bath for me on my way home, so I hopped straight in to soothe my aching legs and feet. You should have seen me hobbling up those stairs - oh my!

Outta the bath, bundled up in towels and I collapsed on the bed for a brief rest. I couldn't close my eyes because I knew I would fall asleep and I had 20+ guests coming over for a BBQ in just a few hours. (Not great planning on my part...)

Once I'd found the energy to get back up, I headed to the kitchen to my protein shake with recovery formula, ate the only think I could stomach (a banana and leftover KD) and did some light stretching.

Then it was time for last-minute BBQ preparations. I don't think I sat down for any extended period of time until 11pm when all of our guests had left, but I did have a fun afternoon with good food and drinks and excellent company. It was the perfect way to bid farewell to another summer.

But needless to say, I paid for it the following day. We were up early to clean up the house/yard and then off The Ex with my Mom. The cold had (not surprisingly) progressed and I pretty much felt like crap, not to mention my tired and aching body that had not yet been able to recover. Walking amongst the crowds in extreme heat all day was likely not the wisest decision, but we had a nice day nonetheless and realized that summer really is over as the CNE would be packing it up for another year.

We headed home around 3 and I remained on the couch where hubby brought me tissues, Tylenol, soup and OJ until 9:00 when it was time to hit the sack. I didn't stir until the alarm went off at 6:30, although apparently I was moaning in my sleep. :( The good news is, my legs are finally feeling better this morning - no aches and only a little tightness. Unfortunately the rest of me feels like crap. Looks like another evening with my feet up and the only thing running will be my nose.

Hopefully things will be looking up tomorrow, but for now I'm happy to enjoy another recovery day and get well. Better now than three weeks from now, right?


Mel-2nd Chances said...

feel better soon! and you're definitely right.. better now than in the coming weeks. :) rest up!

Lily on the Road said...

Get better soon!

Oh, I haven't been to the EX in a bizillion years....

Look after yourself!

Marci said...

Rest up and take care of yourself!

Nitmos said...

Quality, quality long run. You must be in/nearing taper now?! Good luck with your marathon. based on that 35k, you seem really prepared!