Friday, August 21, 2009

Race Goals & more...

Thanks for all of your concern on yesterday's post. This is something that we do not deal with regularly (or ever!) so it was pretty shocking for everyone. Fortunately, no damage or injuries in my area. After the craziness, we enjoyed a pretty spectacular sky.



******




Tomorrow I'm running A Mid Summer Night's Run (30K).

A Midsummer Night's Run is a magical evening of running staged on Toronto's East end trails and along Lake Ontario. The run will start before the sun sets and will be finished by the light of the moon. Shakespeare's own words well describe this night as being "...swift as a shadow, short as any dream..."

Given that this is my first 30K race, my first evening race and my first time running any kind of long distance in the evening, I really have no idea what to expect. That being said, I trust in my training and recent results and I should be in good shape for a decent race. Having my trusty pace bunny (husband) by my side will certainly help. I have to remember this this is not my goal race and I can't afford to wipe myself out completely with two weeks of peak training ahead. What happens tomorrow may largely depend on the weather. The forecast earlier this week promised cooler temperatures, no humidity and isoltaed showers. Now: warm, humid and chance of thundershowers. All things considered, I have three goals.

C Goal (I know I can): ~6:15/KM pace (10:03/mi)
= ~3:07:30 finish

B Goal (I think I can): ~6:00/KM pace (9:39/mi)
= ~3:00:00 finish

A Goal (I hope I can): ~5:40/KM pace (9:07/mi)
= ~2:50:00 finish


******




Mel is completing her very first triathlon this weekend! It's been a long journey getting here, so drop by to leave her some good wishes. Go for it, Mel!

******


You still have a few days to enter my Hella Sound Giveaway!

23 comments:

Nicole said...

Good luck! Can't wait to read your post-race report. You're gonna rock it! All of your hard work and training has GOT To pay off!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

thanks for the shoutout!! :D

Enjoy the race tomorrow night... a few tips (?) about from my experience last year -- if you're going to do a baggage check, ARRIVE EARLY, and LINE UP EARLY. Last year there was still a long line up even though the start of the was a bit delayed to allow more time. He came by and thanked us for not checking bags cuz Jay was sitting there with all of ours. Watch your step on the boardwalk cuz it'll be dark and populated with whoever happens to be down there. Watch the potholes (especially if they're filled with water from the rain on the gravel parts... they could be deceptively deep. If you have a headlamp or something, you may want to bring your own... the ones they provide usually die before the race is done. haha Most of all, enjoy the beautiful scenery and sunset of the TO skyline, it was breathtaking last year. Have a blast, I'm so happy you're doing the race. KICK ASS!!! I know you will ;)

Mark said...

Good luck! You are going to do great!! Sounds like a really cool race, too.

RunningLaur said...

Good luck at the race! Another bib on the wall!

Jamie said...

Good luck at the race! You will do awesome!!!

Jen Feeny said...

I'm so excited for you!!! You're going to do great and I can't wait for the recap!!! Try to relax and get some sleep tonight!

Felice Devine said...

Good luck, Marlene! HAVE FUN!!

Nancy D said...

Have a fun time!

teacherwoman said...

Good luck tomorrow! I look forward to hearing all about it!

Unknown said...

best wishes for your 30K!!

Denise said...

Good luck with the 30k...I know you'll nail it!

ShutUpandRun said...

Good luck with your 30K!! You've got this.

RoadBunner said...

That sky picture is purty!

Good luck tomorrow!!!

Erika said...

How fun! Good luck tomorrow!

MCM Mama

Unknown said...

Good Luck!

J said...

That is scary weather - glad you both are ok. Good luck in the race and have tons of fun! Can't wait to hear about it!

Jess said...

Good luck with the Midsummer Night's Run! I think that sounds fun.

Marci said...

Good luck and have fun- I am curious to hear what you think of this race, hope the weather is good!

Lindsay said...

good luck tonight! i hope the air is cool and not so humid. can't wait to hear how it goes! you've been training well, this is a great 'tune up' race for the redemption.

N.D. said...

Oh wow!good luck on the 30k!

RunToTheFinish said...

ok I'm really late in catching up, so WHOOA on the tornado, seriousy and I hope today went amazing!!!

joyRuN said...

Beautiful sky! Funny how such awful weather can produce amazing skyscapes :)

I think you're running by now? Hope you're having a great time!

X-Country2 said...

You sound ready to go! Good luck!!