Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Cruisin' Tuesday

First, a quick recap of Sunday's long run: After the 5K race on Saturday, followed by a long drive home and a late night, I was somewhat nervous about how 25K/15.5mi was going to feel bright and early Sunday morning. Even as I headed out the door, all I could think was 'This is the last thing I want to be doing right now.' Fortunately I had some awesome people waiting for me, and they made me feel better immediately. I set out with three others from my pace group and the conversation flowed as the miles ticked by. The air was cooler and less humid than it has been; along with a nice breeze, it felt just about perfect. One of our runners had left cold water and some candy for us around 16K, which gave us a nice boost to finish strong. I found myself expecting to wear out, but surpriginly felt great all the way to the end.

25.5K/15.8mi in 2:26:29 - 5:45/KM = 9:15/mi



After a night of tossing and turning, the alarm came early this morning. I decided to shake things up with Cruise Intervals this week instead of the usual Tempo Tuesday.

If Sunday felt cool, today was downright frigid at 16C (61F) with no humidity. How refreshing to feel a chill in the air for a change!

The workout: 5 x 2000m at 5:00/KM (8:03/mi) or faster with 45-second recoveries


3K warm-up in 18:39

Set 1 - 4:55, 4:58

45-second recovery jog

Set 2 - 4:59, 4:52

45-second recovery jog

Set 3 - 4:59, 5:00

45-second recovery jog

Set 4 - 5:00, 4:56

45-second recovery jog

Set 5 - 4:59, 4:47

Average interval pace - 4:56/KM (7:56/mi)

I felt good throughout and feel confident that I'll be able to tackle a continuous 10K tempo run in a couple of weeks. If only the cool mornings would stick around!


Have a great Tuesday!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy tuesday!

great job on the 25k run! u r awesome!

abbi said...

Glad the 25K went well for it...so nice when it goes great despite initial reservations about it!

Jocelyn said...

You are consistently kicking butt! Great job :) You will be proud of me! I woke up this morning to run

Pining for Pinterest said...

That would be amazing weather!!! I am sooo jealous!

Anonymous said...

Your LR recaps are always nonchalant - like yup, we did 15 miles, it was pretty fun, no biggie ;) haha. Signs of true endurance, right there.

You'll tackle that 10K tempo with no problems! If you could send over the 61* morning in the meantime, it would be greatly appreciated ;)

mommaof3ontherun said...

Great job. I hope to be able to get there one day.

Unknown said...

Great job!

Heather said...

Yay for a cool morning! Impressive long run after that 5k . . . you are a running superstar!

Gotta Run..... said...

Could you send a cool breeze our way. Another 100 degree day on tap!

Funny how I am beat on my way to meet up for a ride or run with others but minutes after I arrive my feelings always seem to change :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Woman, you car kicking some a$$!!!!

Johann said...

Good training all round!

ajh said...

Hasn't this cooler weather been great?

Mark said...

Marlene, you just keep getting better and better! Your dedication is really inspiring!

Q said...

Wow long run! I agree on the cooler weather, I did a 19k Sunday night and it was soooo nice.

Nicole said...

HAPPY TUESDAY!!!!


Great job on the run gf!!! :) I got up and did tempo tuesday a la YOU and LOVED the coolness!!!! fall crisp air.. ahhh <3

misszippy said...

Nice work Marlene! That's the kind of stuff that goes a long way.

J said...

Great tempo run!! You did great! I love seeing your kilometer times! Its fun to know those and the min/mile times!! Just another reason to have more numbers to analyze!!

X-Country2 said...

niiice!

Being Robinson said...

so jealous of your weather, no humidity....lucky!

Emz said...

excellent training. I love your detailed posts.

YAY YOU!!

Char said...

Tough workout but you did a great job of it. Your running's just getting stronger and stronger.

MCM Mama said...

Nice job on the pace!

I could use a cool morning! I miss Alaska.

EndorphinBuzz said...

I also hope we keep getting some cooler mornings!

Laura said...

I was so happy with yesterday morning's weather - my run was so much easier. Cool mornings rock.
Awesome training as usual.

Denise said...

your training is going so well, marlene! keep up the awesome work!

Kristina @goodnweird.com said...

great job on the run! i did a killer track workout last night. oh the joy of speed work :)

Jamie said...

You are rocking this training! Keep up the fantastic work!

Q said...

Eeeeep! That is long for a weekday. I do my LR's on Sunday's, and usually end up thinking, "at least it's not a workday."

Your extra work will pay off though!