Monday, July 05, 2010

My first triathlon

Don't get too excited - I have not moved to the dark side, but I did have my first triathlon experience yesterday; hubs and I were spectating at my friend L's first tri. It was a few hours out of town, so we camped out over night and had a chance to spend some time on Saturday by the lake and around a camp fire.

Yesterday was an early morning as we had to pack up the tent at 6am to hit the road for the event. We decided to go super early with L to ensure that we found parking, to keep her company and hopefully help keep the nerves at bay!

I have to admit, it was pretty neat checking out the set-up and constantly asking our friend E how everything works. (But no, I'm not getting any ideas!)

L was most nervous about the bike (20K for this try-a-tri) and it looked like it was going to be a lonely stretch of road, so hubs and I planned to run out on the course and hopefully spot her twice. It was an extremely hot and sunny day (Southern Ontario has been hit with a heat wave) and running about 8K or so in the middle of the morning just about killed me.

Don't worry, I still had some energy for cheering and cowbell-ringing.



We got to see L twice as planned. She was doing awesome and biking much faster than she had anticipated, so she surprised us both times. (Note: it's a lot harder spotting someone on a bike than running! They're moving much faster and they all look the same!)

We booked it back to the finish line (about 5K) hoping to make it in time, but L flew through the rest of the bike ride and her run, so we didn't get to see her cross the line. It was exciting to take part in the day, cheer for our friend and see how this crazy triathlon business works. Congrats to L!

28 comments:

Kerrie said...

That is the best picture ever. You look like a spectator superhero!

Lily on the Road said...

HA,

they say once you go to "observe" the participation is not far away!!!!

Anonymous said...

First of all, you and that cheetah skirt get me *every* time - haha, so fun! ;)

Glad to hear you haven't transferred to the "dark" side yet, stay strong with the bike/run agenda!! ;)

TNTcoach Ken said...

Wow, U R some friend! Camping out to spectate....

ajh said...

I love watching tris. I have only seen a few but they are fun. There is so much they have to do. I actually volunteered at one one time because they kept asking for vol. in the local paper. It is more fun to watch someone you know. You look like a great cheerleader for your friend!

Boris T said...

It's okay to go to the dark side. I know I am in the process of stepping over to it, they have cookies!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great experience!

Tris are pretty cool to watch.

Laura said...

Congrats to your friend. We run with Triathletes - I don't know how they have the time!

J said...

Such a great idea to go and run out to see her bike!! You look so cute in your photo!!

Pahla said...

I need you to come out and cheer for me some time, that outfit and cowbell are great!! I'm glad you had fun spectating...tris are fun to compete, too. :-)

Heather said...

That picture is awesome! Sounds like a fun way to spend the weekend. :)

Denise said...

i told andy today that 2011 will be my "tri" year. i'm going to do it!! while i hate not being able to run, i love the idea of being a well rounded athlete competitive in more than one sport.

Lindsay said...

Oh no I am afraid if I spectated I would be sold on doing one!!!! Your an awesome friend to go support.

Anne said...

You had me there...I think I smell a tri in your future ;)

Unknown said...

one foot in the door now.... ;-)

Lindsay said...

suuuuure you aren't ;)

whenever i start to think about one... i remind myself how i haaaate ows'ing and how i would be way to overwhelmed with all the transition crap. i know, lame excuse, but i'm using it. :)

Unknown said...

Ha! I can sense that a tri is near...I was feeling this way too in May. It's funny that you call it the dark side. Someone at our group run tonight was saying the same thing but I'm trying to talk a few friends into doing one. We'll be watching friends in a tri this weekend. I might get the bug again!

H Love said...

wow. you are a rock star! sad I didn't get to meet you in person in Seattle! keep it up!

RunToTheFinish said...

I watched my first one a few weeks ago too and it was really neat! I may consider one, but only to survive the heat!

Nicole said...

Love the pic!!!! :)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

That is cool!! I wont be tri-ing anytime soon but I would love to watch one soon. I need to get on CHEERING..

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

That is cool!! I wont be tri-ing anytime soon but I would love to watch one soon. I need to get on CHEERING..

joyRuN said...

Looks like you had a great time!

Congrats to L :D

Chic Runner said...

That is super exciting. Sometimes watching races is even more fun than being in them. Love the pic :)

Badgergirl said...

Love the spectating pic! And the "dark side?" It's not so bad :)

Anonymous said...

How cute are you?!? I get nervous just trying to remember everything I need for a run, much less, a tri! I have considered it, but I would get to flustered with the bike, swimsuit, running shoes, too much stuff!

Runner Leana said...

Triathlon = dark side? Haha! No, it is all angels singing, puppies, unicorns and rainbows! I know not of this dark side you are speaking of!

I'm sure your friend really appreciated having you out there cheering on!

Exgf said...

You totally should tri!!! I'm a darksider and I LOVE LOVE LOVE It!!

IT really is super fun!