Friday, July 16, 2010

TGIF - A few quick things!

First - I was featured in an article for an ongoing marathoning series in the "Life" Section of the Globe & Mail yesterday. You can check out the article on the subject of tune-up races online here!

This afternoon we're headed to the beautiful Bruce Peninsula National Park of Canada for a fun camping weekend with our friends D & S.



From the Wine Country Run last year.



Hubs and I took advantage of having today off to get our long runs done before hitting the road. We set out at 5AM (nothing like waking up at 4AM on your day off) at our usual park and trail system. It worked well to leave the car in the parking lot as a water drop. The plan was 27K (16.7mi) with the last 16K (10mi) at MRP. We ran the first 11 together (some of which with Juliana who we ran into during her own morning run), made a quick pit stop at the car, then went our separate ways for the remainder at race pace.

Goal pace: 5:30/KM (8:51/mi)
Average pace: 5:39/KM (9:05/mi) for 15K (9.3mi)*

My average for the first 10 was 5:32/KM, but I slowed down a lot on the back end. The sun had come up, I was a hot, sweaty mess and my legs were dead. It has only been 5 days since my last long run, so I have run 81K (50mi) in the last 6 days. These legs are feeling it and it's no surprised that this was such a struggle.

*I cut the run short by a kilometre because I found myself back at the car, hubs was already done, I had run out of water and I was simply zapped.

Overall, I'll consider it a moderate success... and with this run, I have officially surpassed 1000 miles so far this year!

And now I'm ready to get this weekend started! I soaked in a cold bath for 15 minutes, so hopefully my legs won't hate me too much on the 4-hour drive later today.

Have a great weekend and don't forget that today is your last chance to enter the CEP Giveaway!

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, uve already done 1,000 miles this year? crazy!
congrats! that is awesome, marlene!

have a fantastic weekend!

busyrunningmama said...

1000 miles?? Wow! I am so impressed! You deserve a great camping weekend - enjoy and rest those legs!!!

J said...

Serious morning runner! Getting up at 4am is intense! Great job on the run!! Hope you have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

I think the fact taht you both got up so early on your day OFF *and* before driving to do this LR is enough to consider it a success ;) maybe not the fastest, but you still got through it! Have fun camping this weekend!

Lisa said...

way to get up early and get in your run! You've done more already this morning than a lot of people will do all day!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Tricia said...

super impressed with your miles

enjoy your weekend

ajh said...

Great job on the 1000 miles! Have a blast on your vacation with your friends!!

Michelle said...

Holy cow 1000 miles already! That's very impressive! Have a great weekend!!

Emz said...

1000 - awesome!! YAY for you!

Enjoy your vacation.

4am run?? - you completely rock.

Becka said...

Already at 1000 for the year? Rock star!!

Unknown said...

I've GOT to get good enough that I can wake up and do a long run before I go on vacation. I worry it will wear me out! You go!

Runners Fuel said...

Congrats on the mileage. That's so far just this year!

Anonymous said...

Being featured like that is pretty cool! Have a great weekend!

Denise said...

nice weekly mileage!! and for the year so far! now you get to enjoy yourself this wknd and relax!! have fun. going to check out your article now...

teacherwoman said...

Wow! 1000 miles already! You rock! Have fun camping this weekend!

Gotta Run..... said...

I thought getting up at 4:30am the other morning was BUTT-EARLY!! You may have had tired legs but the long run is done!!

btw - check out my post. Tagged you in it and posted pics on what I have done with some of my race bling.

Char said...

1000 miles - that's 1600k! It's like running from Brisbane to Melbourne. Well done.

Felice Devine said...

Awesome mileage. So impressive!

Have a great time this weekend!

Heidi said...

WOW - you've hit 100 already. That's my goal for the year and I'm not feeling 100% confident that I'll hit it. Good for you! Good idea to cut that run a little short. That's alot of miles in a week. Now rest up a bit and enjoy the weekend :)

Anonymous said...

Well heck, if you have hit 1000 miles already this year, then you can have the rest of the year off!! Have a great weekend!!

Jami said...

WOW, you are hardcore!!! Nice job!

Mark said...

Have a great weekend!!!

joyRuN said...

Hope you're having an awesome camping weekend!

Heather said...

1000 miles for the year already, that is awesome! Hope you have a great camping weekend.

Nicole said...

1000 miles for the year already? your a rockstar! hope your weekend was fabulous!

Jamie said...

Congrats on 1000 miles! That's incredible! And for waking at 4 am on your day off for a long run!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Congrats on breaking the 1000 mile mark! I love that you and your hub run together.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the 1000 miles - that is AMAZING!! And that is so cool that you were featured in that article. You are like famous now!!! :)