Tuesday, October 28, 2008

It's a good thing I like the wind-blown look

There's a snowsquall warning around here, so I bundled up before heading out for my easy 5K after work.

A snowsquall is a sudden moderately heavy snow fall with blowing snow and strong, gusty surface winds. It is often referred to as a whiteout and is similar to a blizzard but is localized in time or in space and snow accumulations may or may not be significant.




No sign of snow (yet) but the wind was out in full force! I found myself running against 60+km/h winds and it felt like I was hardly moving at times. I'm definitely not a fan of the wind (is anyone??), especially when it carries a chill to the tune of -3oC (26F). I think I've earned myself a hot chocolate.

You just never know what you're gonna get this time of year! There's a forecast of snow AND rain overnight, so who knows what tomorrow night's run will bring.

16 comments:

Run Mommy said...

I just came from outside (taking kids to swimming lessons) and nearly got blown over! I think today, I am sort of glad of limiting injury.. :)

Erik said...

OMG, I'm so sorry you are in the middle of that!!

That is my absolute least fav weather. Cold and windy! Yuck.

What kind of chocolate?? :)

E

J said...

Wow that would be crazy to get caught in a snowsquall! I have only been in one in a car!

Good job still getting out there in that wind!

Marci said...

Its windy and cold for sure. I hope its not too windy this weekend for you!

BeachRunner said...

Windy and cold here too. Can't believe you ran through those conditions. Wow that is impressive. Stay warm tonight.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

the wind is crazy!!! Stay warm, good job getting out there, i will try to fit my run in early tomorrow am... hoping there's not a layer of snow!!! LOL ugh,i hate winter.

Jess said...

You definitely get some hot choco for that!

yumke said...

Yeah, I'm taking a week off running and it's a good time to do it.
It's bittery cold out.... wind is horrible

Unknown said...

We had very strong wind here on Sunday. I like to play games with it. It does not take much to get my mind to wander.

Julianne said...

Still not sure exactly what snowsquall is but glad I'm not there!!! You're not still running around in that weather, are you??? (Omg, looks like you are crazy lady!) ;-)

Anonymous said...

That is sooo cold. I can't think about temps that cold yet! Way to get out there.

JenZen said...

You've DEFINITELY earned yourself a hot chocolate!! I hate running in the wind. It feels so futile sometimes. Good resistance workout though. You're gonna totally laugh at my talking about cold weather.

Marky Mark said...

Good job! It was brutal last night and sounds like it was worse for you. Mind you at least you returned home to heat--some workmen on our street cut the gas line so the gas company had to turn off the gas-service was restored when they rang our bell....at 2:30am. I was glad to have the furnace back on though.

See you Sunday!

Unknown said...

When I saw the 3, I freaked, but I realized that you're in Celsius time and not Fahrenheit! Nonetheless, that is freaking cold!

Marcy said...

Is it supposed to be nicer for you guys on the weekend? It's been Hell in terms of weather here as well ( although def NOT as bad as you homies LOL)

Aron said...

AHHHH i dont know how you deal with that weather :( i am scared of the rain we are supposed to get this weekend!!