Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Getting caught up in it

Had our Tuesday night clinic session (shoe talk) and group run last night. There are a handful of people in the group who are constantly complaining that the program is too easy and too low on mileage in the first several weeks. They are even asking our instructor to modify the entire program! She explained that she could not do that because the clinic is desiigned this way for a reason - you need to gradually build a base for the high mileage that comes later. Not to mention, there are many people in the group who are not prepared to jump into 25K+/week. They just will not shut up about it, even after the instructor and director explained the reasoning. People, if you think you are too good for this clinic, why did you sign up for it?!

Anyway, the run was just a 4K but it was a challenging 4K. A group of runners took off pretty fast and I made the mistake of keeping up with them. We were running at <5:00/KM for a while and I didn't realize til a couple KM's into the run, when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I was suddenly exhausted! I slowed it down to about 6:00 for the second half of the run and managed to finish, but I was huffing and puffing and dragging my legs along. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Note to self: start off slow and don't get too cocky too early. ;)

No comments: