Friday, November 09, 2007

Speed work

It's about time that I started including speed work in my weekly regime. It is (obviously) one of the most important aspects of my training to help decrease my half marathon time. I also want to complete the Santa Shuffle 5K under 26 minutes, so I really need to get busy.

My hubby was kind enough to write a program for me and it starts off like this:

4 x 800 - 5k pace - 400 rest

What the heck does that mean?!

I will run 800 metres at my 5K pace* (which is 5:12 min/km) followed by a 400 metre rest (slow jog) and repeat 4 times.

Next week will be 6 sets of 400 metres at 5 seconds faster than my 5K pace. It's complicated, but it's supposed to work. So we'll see how it goes!

*My 5K pace is the pace at which I want to (eventually) be running 5K in order to complete the half marathon in my goal time of <2:00:00.

No comments: