Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Now what?

As I mentioned in my last post, I am officially done racing for this year. Aside from enjoying some down time, it's time to start thinking about what's next.

First things first, I'm going back to the gym. I completely neglected any form of cross-training all summer and I'm tired of feeling 'squishy.' I know that working on strengthening will improve my running (and overall fitness) - I just need to stick with it this time. I get dreadfully bored working out on my own, so I'll be taking group fitness classes again, starting tonight. I was taking classes regularly this time last year and really enjoyed it. I'm looking forward to getting back at it. My weekly schedule will determine which classes I can take, but I'd like to incorporate 2-3 of the following each week:

Monday - body-sculpt yoga
Tuesday - H.O.T. (high octane training - strength/cardio intervals)
Wednesday/Thursday - spin

Next, Project: Lean Mean Running Machine. I've let my nutrition slide too much lately and I'm feeling it on the run. It's time to get focused again and pay attention to what I'm eating. I have some 'marathon pounds' to lose and I'd love to lose an additional 10 after that. Hopefully the fitness classes will help with this cause. (Last year I successfully reached my lowest weight in years when I was taking classes regularly).

And finally, Goofy training! Yes, the Goofy Race and a Half Challenge is coming up soon. Since I do not have any time goals for either race, I will be taking a more laid back approach to the training and replacing 1-2 easy runs with cross-training. I'm not planning to incorporate speed work, but rather work on my endurance and building overall body strength/fitness. The key to Goofy training will be back-to-back long runs (Saturday being half of Sunday's distance) most weekends.

A typical week might look like this:

Monday: yoga or rest
Tuesday: H.O.T. + 5K easy
Wednesday: 10K general
Thursday: Spin
Friday: 5K easy or rest
Saturday: 15K
Sunday: 30K

My overall mileage will be quite a bit lower than it was when I trained for my last marathon; I'm most concerned about arriving in Florida injury-free and strong.

I'm taking a mini hiatus from running this week (will run only if/when I feel like it); I need the mental and physical break before officially kicking off the training.

***


One last thing: Tall Mom is having a fun Brooks for Her Giveaway this week. I know you want this jacket! But so do I, so please don't enter. ;)

36 comments:

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for the mention :)

I WISH I could win my own Giveaway, I think this jacket is too cute.. Christmas list for sure.

Lean Mean Machine...I Like it!! Have FUN in the gym.. The Goofy training sounds good.. I have realized more and more that I just do not like speed training.. After this weekend I am going to rethink my SPEED goals :)

Hugs and have a GREAT day!

Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about the same things...what now? I'm thinking of taking a mini break from running and getting back into the gym with some group classes too!

Sarah said...

Work it baby!

Jess said...

Good luck with the new plans for classes and Goofy training!

Jenn said...

I hear you about the cross training to lean out... If only I could keep the junk food out of my mouth! Then I'd really be in business.

RunningLaur said...

Cross training should help out so much, and it's something fun!

And you mention Goofy almost like "oh yeah and there this little Goofy thing going on in a bit... piece of cake" you're such a pro at this! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Heather said...

I like your training plan - I love group fitness classes and wish I could do more than just my kettlebells once a week. I need to get on the nutrition thing too. Especially with the holidays around the corner.

No Longer Using said...

good plan!!! i would like to join operation fitness lean mean machine :)

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love my group fitness classes.. most days it is the only time I get to socialize with other women.

I am soooo gonna win that jacket... :)

Marky Mark said...

Sounds like a great plan!

It's amazing how you can do all this training (and it's a lot) for the 'thon and gain weight--I did last year. It's almost as if one would be better off doing regular cross training including more moderate running, while eating properly. When I moved from that to marathon training, clearly I ate much more "extra" food than I needed, and then I was out of some good habits. Then take away the marathon training and keep those habits and there's trouble!

So it's great that you're already so on top of things.

Enjoy!

alex said...

Sounds like an awesome plan, girl!
I think that you will be stronger than ever before- I am always scared to replace runs with something else, but it always makes me feel better and more balanced- my muscles that become underused from running thank me for it!
I'll be doing operation lean mean with ya- I have my gym membership to use up!

RunToTheFinish said...

OHHH you are going to be in FLORIDA!!! :) I have heard such great things about that race...dont' know that I have the hutzpah for something like that!

RunToTheFinish said...

OHHH you are going to be in FLORIDA!!! :) I have heard such great things about that race...dont' know that I have the hutzpah for something like that!

Stephanie Estridge said...

Ah! Yayyyy Love the goofy! Disney was one of my favorite marathons. Bring a camera (even a tiny one) its so worth it!

J said...

I remember you doing all those classes last year! They sounds like fun - hope it goes well tonight!

I forgot that you were running Goofy! I wish I could run it but it doesnt really look like its going to work out this year! I dont think i could run that much mileage in a weekend by January! lol

Jen Feeny said...

Ok we'll join forces and motivate each other to cross train! :)

Mark said...

Sounds like a great plan! Remember you and Hubby are welcome at our place if you ever decide to run Bass Pro!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Looks like you already answered your question!!!! I hear you about getting bored in the gym, I need people too.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

haha, nice reverse psychology on the giveaway. enjoy your lighter week and getting back into the cross-training! watch out for the DOMS lol.

Jamie said...

sounds like a good plan! I'm hoping that reading about your cross-training will get me to my gym ;)

Unknown said...

Great plans, I should really do more cross-training, thanks for the thoughts!

Unknown said...

I love group fitness classes, but you're right...they always slip out of my schedule when I'm training for a race. Good luck getting back in the gym-groove and with your nutrition/weight loss goals. People who don't run are always so confused when I tell them I gain wait training:)

George Houston said...

I ran the Disney Marathon last year and had a BLAST! I'm so jealous that you are doing the Goofy Challenge. The Disney Marathon was one of the best races that I've ever ran. Good Luck with your training!

Patrick said...

I am with you. I get bored cross training as well-- Nothing is as exciting as running. I hate being stuck in a gym-- I'd much rather be out on the road catching the sights!

KK @ Running Through Life said...

Have fun getting back in the gym!

Erika said...

Have fun with your gym classes. I so need to join a gym.

Can't wait to hear about Goofy! It sounds like a lot of fun.

MCM Mama

Faith Ann said...

Best of luck with your Goofy training!! I cannot imagine doing two big weekend runs like that. Definitely worth it though :)

Anonymous said...

Have fun at the gym! I used to enjoy going to fitness classes. I've heard only good things about the Goofy Challenge- look forward to hearing about it!

Anonymous said...

Goofy Challenge?! NICE! That's definitely on my To-Do List (well, one of those races - not both of them...yet ;) ), it will be such a fun weekend!

Laura said...

I am in the same boat - my gym membership is now back in high gear.
No Boxing Day race this year?

Molly said...

good luck in your next fitness phase! Great blog....

Lindsay said...

hmm if you are 'squishy' what does that make me? xxl squishy? :)

enjoy the downtime and alternate workouts. good luck with the nutrition battle - i'm far from a victory myself.

B.o.B. said...

I have been thinking a lot about yoga myself lately. I think a hiatus is good. Give your body and mind a little running break.

ShirleyPerly said...

Yes, I've always found that while running and endurance sports does burn a lot of calories, I'm my leanest if I do strength training or other non-endurance type of activities. I think one problem is the diet that usually accompanies endurance training.

Anyway, good luck with your classes and I'm majorly bummed that I won't be in Orlando the weekend you run Goofy :-( But I'll cheer for you from Kona :-)

Denise said...

I hear you...I miss the cross training. Running 6 days a week for a year now has been a lot. After Philly I'm cutting down to 5 days with the other 2 days open to lifting, walking, etc. I hate being squishy.

Irish Cream said...

Oh yay, your Goofy training plan sounds very similar to mine! I figured with all the working out I'm doing at school, adding in a TON of miles and/or speedwork would probably kill and/or exhaust me. The funny thing is that I feel like a MUCH stronger runner now than I did before when I was in marathon training and focusing solely on running! Crazy.

But yay, can't wait for Goofy!! It'll be here before you know it! :)