Thursday, October 22, 2009

Three Things Thursday

Another Three Things Thursday brought to you by CAUTION: Redhead Running (although she has 10 things today...)

1. Our end-of-season social this evening was fantastic. 50+ of us chatting away, sharing some good eats and drinks (even champagne), watching a spectacular slideshow of hundreds of photos taken all summer long and just having a jolly old time. Coach has promised us each a personalized photo CD, so I should have plenty to share soon.


2. MCM Mama is our host for this week's TIaRT and she wants to know:

We've all discussed why we run, but why do you RACE and how do you choose which races to run?

Do you look for certain distances, swag, location, start time, or something else? Tell me how you decide where and when to race. Also, I'm currently on a quest to run a race in every state. Please tell me--and others about a particular race you've run that is not to be missed.

For me, racing is about the challenge and excitement. When I'm racing, I can push myself to new levels and achieve goals I never imagined possible. The best part, though, is the energy surrounding race day. The anticipation of the starting horn, the adrenaline flowing through my veins, wondering if it's going to be my day, the comraderie with everyone around me (thousands of instant friends!).

When it comes to selecting races, there are a few I hope to run every year and I also like to support the local events. But most importantly, I like to keep things interesting with races like the Wine Country Run (stopping by wineries for a taste along the way), the Amaxing Race style City Chase and the Mud Run (need I say more?).


3. Check out Tall Mom's Baby It's Cold Outside Giveaway. Yes, it's already time for us northerners to start thinking about bundling up.

19 comments:

Kristin Meeks said...

luckily Under Armour has realized that women like athletic cold gear too. You should see the new stuff! CUTE, CUTE, CUTE and we'll keep warm!
Hope its been nice running weather this week for you too!
Take care!

X-Country2 said...

I'm a big fan of supporting local races too. Especially ones that support great causes.

Carly said...

Your social sounds like fun and a great way to end a season. I race(d) for the same reasons.

Oz Runner said...

i agree...it's fun to race to gauge your own progress and push yourself..

Irish Cream said...

Now I'm even more jealous of your running group!! Sounds like such a fun evening--I'm all for any event where champagne is involved! :) And how cool that you all get a personalized photo CD!

Also, I HAVE to do a Wine Country run soon . . . I've been dreaming about it for far too long now! :)

Jen Feeny said...

So jealous of your running group. You should snag the slideshow and post it here!!!

Anonymous said...

Energy on race day and instant friends - completely agree!! Sometimes I realize - the only difference between running this "race" and just heading out for a 10 miler is the $30 I paid to stand here! ha, but, for whatever reason ( or, a LOT of reasons) it's totally worth it!

Now, this Wine Country idea? I need to look into that....

No Longer Using said...

i love how that excitement never fades!!! with every start and every finish it remains... yay!!!

oooh wine country run!!! and um mud run, priceless pictures. lol.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Oh, to have a running group. The bad part of living in such a rural location, there isn't one.

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

Thanks for the plug...as always. FYI pretty sure that you already have warmers coming your way...

Soon... Darn snail mail.

GOOD GOOD luck this weekend, will be cheering you on. High Five.

B.o.B. said...

Mmmmm champagne! Glad you had a good time. Thanks for the heads up on the giveaway. Have a great weekend!!!

Kelly said...

I LOVE watching slide shows of pictures, so fun!

Nicole said...

Good luck and have fun this weekend! You're gonna rock it!! Thanks for all the support and encouragement regarding my first marathon! As for that MD...yeah, he's ran 2 marathons in his time. He's just an ass (even though he's the one that encouraged me to run the full).

Toni said...

That's awesome that you have a running group, it sounds like lots of fun.

Jess said...

I like hearing about everyone's reasons for racing. Makes me wanna race!

Unknown said...

Reading the racing reasons has been interesting.

Glad you enjoyed the end of season social. Our celebration will be next week. yay!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Enjoy Niagara this weekend, and good luck in the race, i can't wait to read your race report, i want to keep that on my radar for next year! :D

joyRuN said...

I love both local AND interesting races. I need some of the little wineries around here to do a "wine country" run, Jersey-style. The wine won't be spectacular, but it would still be fun :)

Erika said...

Those definitely sound like some fun races!

Good luck this weekend.

MCM Mama