Sunday, October 04, 2009

One Week Later

I haven't had much to say on the blog this week, hence the lack of posts (other than photos) after my race report. While I feel a sense of relief now that it's over, I've also been dealing with some post-marathon blues. After putting so much of my time and energy (and heart and soul!) into it over the last several months, it's a little sad to say farewell to a marathon training cycle. It reminds me of the days following my wedding - Wow, that was great! But now it's all over.

I've had lots of time to think about the race and answer to people asking not just how I did, but how I feel about how I did. I can admit that there have been waves of disappointment that I didn't hit my A or B goals, but I can easily say that I am pleased and proud. It was a PR (and a big one) and felt amazing - what more can I ask for?

I've taken the time to recover this week, running only twice. I've used the extra time to analyze my time via McMillan's Running Calculator, plan my next race/goal and even painted another room in our house.

Starting this week, it's back to business. I need to refocus and take control of my nutrition, get back into my running routine and re-activate my gym membership so I can start taking fitness classes again (I did this last fall/winter as well).

Watch for posts on all of the above soon. 'Til then, I hope everyone had a great weekend! I'll be catching up with all of you tomorrow.

Back to the grind...

P.S. Tall Mom is having a little PINK giveaway. Check it out!

22 comments:

teacherwoman said...

All your pictures looked great! Back to business! :)

Heather said...

Glad you're recovering well! I know the post-marathon blues feeling, completely normal. :)

Irish Cream said...

I always seem to go through some form of the post-marathon blues. But glad to hear you're getting back to business--seems to me the best way to put those blues behind you! :)

Jamie said...

I always go through post-marathon blues. I think your analogy to the wedding day definitely fits! Glad to hear you are recovering nicely :)

Marci said...

Glad you are recovering well. I know what you mean by post-race blues.

Jess said...

It's good to hear that your recovery has been smooth! And the best cure for marathon blues is to determine what you'll race next, so I can't wait to hear what your plans include!

EndorphinBuzz said...

I felt the same way after my tri: what should I do with all the free time? I got inspired by you and decided to train for another shot at the marathon. Enjoy the downtime, pretty soon you'll have a new target to train for.

Mark said...

Hang in there, I know what you mean about the blues. Glad to hear you are planning!

Lily on the Road said...

Enjoy your recovery, that's what it is for...we can motivate each other as far as going to the gym.

Jen Feeny said...

Enjoy your recovery and bask in that PR glow girl... don't get down and out!!! You did amazing and we are all so proud of you!

I find it funny how after a marathon everyone is so quick to say ask next? I mean I haven't even ran mine yet and everyone is already asking me if I know what I'm going to do next... of course I have plans but ultimately I just want to enjoy the moments of glory after...

Live it up girl!

Looking forward to seeing what you have up your sleeve for the upcoming months...

joyRuN said...

Happy recovery!

Funny how I can't wait for this training cycle to be done with, but I know once it is, I'll be a lost soul.

Planning & plotting always help :)

Denise said...

hate the post run blues!!! hurry back, we miss you!

Anonymous said...

I do the same in the fall/winter. After my half, I plan on taking fitness classes and maybe run inside - I hate running in cold weather!

Marky Mark said...

Completely normal to feel that way-plus the days are shorter and it is dark when you get up. Will be interesting to see what you pick nexy-so many options--another marathon, an out of town winter half, or perhaps running for mayor?

No Longer Using said...

sounds like a good refocus coming up!!!!!

Lindsay said...

ooh i definitely get a little sad after a big race. it's hard not to! you train for months for one day and then, it's just over. what are we supposed to do next? guess that's why we keep signing up for these torturous things ;)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I just noticed the Niagra Falls race on 10/25...are you doing a half?? Why don't you do another Full?? Just askin.. I still have the Marathon Blues..LOL..

Welcome back!! I missed you this week..

Megan L. Killian said...

I'm excited to hear what your next race plan will be!! Focus on the next race to keep your mood up! I hate the post-marathon-what-am-I-gonna-do-now feeling.

ShirleyPerly said...

Down time is important, I think. to refresh the mind, body & spirit. Look forward to hearing what you'll be up to next!

Aron said...

i totally had this after my first and second marathons... since then i have just jumped into training for the next one :-/ lol... its good to have off time though, come december i know i will be ready for mine! cant wait to see what you are up to next :)

Anonymous said...

At least you're letting yourself recover, rather than jumping back in too soon! Fitness classes always add some needed variety - plus you find muscles you had no idea existed, haha. Gotta love that burn ;)

Erika said...

Looking forward to hearing your future plans. Glad you are enjoying your down time.

MCM Mama