Friday, June 17, 2011

Barefoot Bootcamp

It seems Juliana has picked up a few ideas about barefoot running after reading Born to Run recently (I'm next in line to borrow it!). So when we met for our run this morning and she suggested a couple of laps barefoot on the track, I thought: Why not? As J pointed out, it would give me something to blog about. :)

I've done some barefoot running in the past - specifically of the beach variety in Cuba and Antigua.




We peeled off our shoes and socks once we got to the track and got started on our first lap. It was certainly different from beach running! The surface wasn't quite as soft as I was anticipating; it felt okay at first, but the balls of our feet were on fire by the end of that lap.



After that we decided to stick to the soft, wet grass and it felt much better.



But first J had another idea up her sleeve; we completed our own mini bootcamp, doing sets of various exercises between each lap: push-ups, squats, sit-ups, jumping jacks, lunges.

We completed 7 barefoot laps, 40-45 push-ups, 30 squats, 50 sit-ups, 50 jumping jacks and walking lunges across the field before putting our shoes back on. When we started running in our shoes again, we both noticed immediately how light and comfortable we felt; it was the strangest sensation, especially when we expected the opposite! Go figure. I think we may have to do some experimentation...


Great way to start Friday!

28 comments:

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

My feet hurt just looking at those pictures. I can't walk barefoot for more than a few minutes without pain - I've got crazy extra bones in my feet.

kristen said...

that sounds like the perfect start to friday! (well, except that i have really sensitive feet and they would definitely be on fire!)

Gotta Run..... said...

You are more brave than I would be. Not in the barefoot running after I messed my feet up running on the beach a few years ago. ;(

Still, just being out in the early morning air is a great way to start the weekend off!!

Jen Feeny said...

Awww that's a fun idea and great way to spice up the workout!

J said...

Fun!! We used to that after workouts in track.

Question for you - where did you stay in Antiqua? Brian and I are looking for places to go on our honeymoon.

Laura said...

Fun! I love being barefoot...but I will be the one person who does barefoot running and end up in a cast or something.
TGIFTGIFTGIF!

Emz said...

Fabulous barefoot Friday.
I'm loving this!
You'll love the book!
Happy weekend!

Anonymous said...

YAY for you!! Spread the barefoot love!

Runners Fuel said...

How fun! My feet get too beat up from running in shoes.

Anonymous said...

Oh I love it! I will be curious to hear how your legs and feet feel tomorrow. I know just after running 1 mile in my vibrams my calves were killing the next day. I love that you switched things up a bit. How fun! :)

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

I love running barefoot in grass..but after a VERY sore couple of days following, I keep it to short distances now. Looks like a great workout!

Sandy said...

I just read Born to Run on my vacation last week asd was so inspired to run barefoot on the beach. It was amazing! Now to run barefoot at home!

Aron said...

Sounds like you guys had a fun Friday morning!

HAPPY FRIDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY :)

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Running in the wet grass looks great. Yeah for dirty feet!...and cross training.

Barefoot on Friday. Look out! Who knows what you'll be up to over the weekend.

Mark said...

Looks like fun...great workout!!

amy said...

You've inspired me to give it a try...although the beach-barefoot looks waaay more fun than at the track!

RunToTheFinish said...

what a fun and smart way to work it in! I do believe it helps us all strengthen our feet and legs even if we don't choose to run barefoot 100% of the time

Nicole said...

happy friday!

Cynthia said...

This was such a fun idea!! I need to find a track closer to the lakeshore to practice some speed training!

Richelle said...

I have a copy of Born to Run and am waiting until I have more free time to read it. It's so cool that you experimented with barefoot running? Do you think it will become a regular part of your weekly routine?

Anne said...

That is great! I loved Born to Run...and I enjoy the occasional barefoot run. And as you may know, I wear racers. I have a feeling your calves may be sore this morning :)

Amy said...

Born to Run didn't make me want to run barefoot, but it did give me a boost in motivation - I think you're going to love it!

I love how your workout sounds like you were just playing around. Fun!

Unknown said...

IT feels so different to run barefoot, so free! Have a great weekend!

Jill said...

If there's one thing my 19-month injury has taught me: Less is more. Footwear that is.

Anonymous said...

7 laps barefoot?! That's one way to 'ease' into it ;) Were your legs/feet sore after that??

Denise said...

i love boot camp workouts but i'm not sure i will do the barefoot running portion.

Joanna said...

These are super fun pictures. I'm such a wimp about this stuff--I'm always afraid of stepping on rocks! Maybe I'll woman up and give it a try.

RoadBunner said...

7 barefoot laps! The first time I ran in Vibrams I did ONE lap at the track. It changed the way I ran so much I felt like I had run 20 miles the next day. My calves were sore for over a week.