Monday, June 13, 2011

Week 1

Training for marathon # 9 kicked off this week with some sweltering weather early in the week, which certainly didn't make it any easier to ease back into training. I was feeling really burnt out by Thursday, but things cooled off for the weekend and I was able to finish up the week with some decent runs. I know it will take some time to get used to the heat again and to adapt to workouts after several weeks of "just running"; need to be patient!



Monday - rest or xtrain

As part of my new endeavor to keep up a cross/strength/core-training regimen, I set out for an hour bike ride while hubs was running. When I got home I tackled my core + strength routine before collapsing in a heap on my yoga mat. Rest day? Huh?



Tuesday - 12K with 8x400 10K easy

After Mother Nature foiled our Track Tuesday plans, I braved the sweltering sun and heat with a lunch run. It was borderline unbearable, but I managed to maintain a decent pace despite giving myself permission to go as slow as needed. I think I just wanted to get back into the a/c.














10.0KM (6.2mi) - 55:06 - 5:30/KM (8:52/mi)



Wednesday - 10K easy 12K with 8x400 5x400

Wednesday Weather Whine

It became obvious early in the workout that 8 repeats would not be happening on this day. I just did what I could do...

Goal time for 400s: 1:31 - 1:34 (400 recoveries)
Results: 1:34, 1:33, 1:37, 1:38, 1:35

I was completely and utterly spent and knew I couldn't have pushed it any harder or farther.

12.0KM (7.5mi) - 1:08:12 - 5:41/KM (9:08/mi)
+ strength/core


Thursday - 7K easy

Thursday was our first night of the summer marathon clinic and I knew there'd be lots of talking and a short run. I decided to run from home to add a couple miles. After an introductory talk and some drills/photos in the parking lot, we broke off into our pace groups for a 7K run. It was... okay. I felt tired from the get-go and just stuck with the group, trying to keep up some conversations to get through it. I had planned to run home too, but wasn't in the mood so a friend was kind enough to give me a lift on her way. Blahhhhh.













9.6KM (6.0mi) - 53:46 -5:36/KM (9:00/mi)



Friday - 10K with 1K time trial

Still feeling pretty slow and tired, but pulled off a decent time trial at the track.



















10.0KM (6.2mi) - 55:20 - 5:32/KM (8:54/mi)
1K time trial: 3:49.27



Saturday - 5K easy

I woke up to a great morning to run and headed right out the door, running a little bit longer than planned with perfectly progressive negative splits.

8.0KM (5.0mi) - 43:42 -  5:27/KM (8:47/mi)
+ strength/core




Sunday - 27K long

Long run with the group. I headed out early on my own for an extra 10, since they were only running 17. It was another nice cool and mostly overcast morning - if only it was like this every morning all summer! We ran a particularly hilly route on some country scenic roads; I felt good and we nailed our target pace, picking it up for the last couple KMs.
 

27.2KM (19.9mi) - 2:29:13 -  5:29/KM (8:49/mi)



Week 1 Total Mileage: 76.8 KM (47.7 mi)
Total Time: 7:05:19
Average Pace: 5:32/KM (8:54/mi)
Cross-training: 1h cycle + 3x strength/core routine

28 comments:

Teamarcia said...

Solid training week despite the obnoxious weather! Way to get er done!

Running Ricig said...

That track picture cracks me up. That's pretty much how I feel about track workouts!

Unknown said...

Yay for Week 1!

LOVE the track pic. Classic.

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Jason said...

Congrats on getting Wk 1 done.

Cross training does kinda sound like you are getting ready for a triathlon....come to the dark side.

Anonymous said...

Geeze girl, jumping right back into that high mileage week - I think anyone would've felt a little run down! :) Way to bust out the first successful Long Run, though! The post-time-trial pic is classic - you should keep it around for comparison to how you feel at the end of the training cycle..haha

Jill said...

I love all those cute picturs of you...and whoooo, a BLUE top?? You don't own all pink running attire!! ;)

Keep being strong, girl....you always being me much inspiration!!!

Laura said...

Wicked first week of training.
First week....almost 80km??? Holy crud....

Emily said...

congrats on marathon training week 1! it's been SO long since you trained for one (sarcasm, obviously.) did you miss it?

ps i want to know your goals for this one!

misszippy said...

Sounds like a really solid week of training, even if it wasn't exactly as planned. Look out Philly!

Janice {Run Far} said...

I love all your pics... you are so stinking cute.

Runners Fuel said...

As always, great job on the training!

Johann said...

Great week to start with. Seems you really love marathon training.:) Keep it going!

Amy said...

I love how you had to do extra because the group was "only" doing 17K! Off to a great start!!

Denise said...

great way to kick it off!!!

Anonymous said...

Don't succumb to Jason's temptation of the dark side! ;-)

Wow... 20 mile long run... you don't take a break do you, woman? You are AMAZING!!!!!!!

(btw, I pressed follow on twitter, but it keeps showing pending... approve me, approve me so I can appropriately stalk you.)

Nicole said...

great week mrs marlene! your doing amazing as always!

Char said...

Tough weather to start your new cycle on. Summer is always the hardest time for training but you put in such a good week.

ajh said...

You are a machine. Let's hope the heat stays away this week.

stoppingfordaisies said...

Wow so much running, great job!

J said...

Marathon #9!??!! I didn't realize you had run so many! How did I miss that! Great week of training!

Richelle said...

First week of marathon training and you're already putting in a ton of kilometers/miles! Way to go!

Cory Reese said...

Wowzers - great miles for the week! (I definitely resemble that track picture.)

MCM Mama said...

So, your plan at Philly is to run it faster than I run the half, huh? ;o)

RunToTheFinish said...

isn't it bizarre that our rest days really just mean not running days :)

YEAH PHILLY. I am going to keep watching your trainign to stay motivated to kick my ass!

Anonymous said...

Another great week friend! Your week of mileage adds up to my whole last month. LOL! But you continue to inspire me always! Keep up the good work!!

Aron said...

awesome week to kick off training!!

Sara said...

What exactly is your core/strength training routine? I've been having trouble finding something that works for me that isn't boring. Any tips?

I relate to you and your blog because I saw a previous post of yours earlier this year where you showed before and after pictures. When I came across your blog, I never realized you had lost a bunch of weight. I'm impressed and hopefully, if I can get my running problems worked out, I'll follow in your footsteps. You're an inspiration Marlene, don't ever forget that!!

Joanna said...

Damn, look at you banging out a 20 miler in week 1! I cannot WAIT to see what this training cycle brings!