Monday, October 10, 2011

R&R-style Long Weekend

After my long run Saturday morning, we kicked off the weekend with our first ever trip to Whole Foods. A new store opened about 45 minutes from here and we hadn't made the trip to check it out yet. I was lucky enough to win a $50 gift card last week, so this was the perfect excuse to see what the fuss is all about.

We perused the store leisurely, checking out the selection of healthy goodies and tasting some samples along the way. It's much more fun to shop with free money. :)






I picked some items that are not available at our usual stores or that I wouldn't typically buy. We came home with a decent haul, all for just $0.70 thanks to the gift card.



  • apple cider
  • chocolate almond milk
  • pumpkin puree
  • chocolate soy milk
  • dark chocolate peanut butter
  • white chocolate peanut butter
  • hummus "cocktail" - caramelized onion
  • hummus "cocktail" - greek olive
  • fancy cheese - hubs' pick)
  • Clif Bar (nothing out of the ordinary)
  • Taste of Nature bar
  • salted chocolate caramels - definitely saving these bad boys for post-race next weekend


I put the canned pumpkin to quick use in the kitchen, starting with a mini batch of pumpkin cream cheese. In theory, it sounded great; in actuality, I  wasn't a fan. It turns out I don't like the taste of raw pumpkin at all. I tried adding more cream cheese and honey to offset the pumpkin taste, but it was still a no-go.


On the other hand, I love the taste of cooked pumpkin in baked goods. Mmmmmmmmmm.


that's more like it!

These are a fall staple around here and didn't disappoint this time around. Dangerously good...

And finally - Pumpkin Spices Oatmeal Pecan Cookies (+ raisins). These are much lighter on the sugar and fat, and still super tasty.


Hubs and I took advantage of the glorious weather on this holiday Monday and went for a little drive to do soak up the falll scenery and do some trail and country road running.








Aside from the shopping, baking and some running and biking, I did a whole lot of relaxing this weekend. I didn't change out of yoga pants except to run and got all caught up on TV - feels good to kick start race week with some quality R&R. 

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the photos near the end of the autumn scenery!

Laura said...

I can't believe how quickly the leaves are changing.
Yeah for taper week!!

Jason said...

Pictures are gorgeous and nice job on the haul at WF.

ajh said...

I am on such a pumpkin kick right now I am drooling! Nice on the GC for Whole Foods.

J said...

So much pumpkin baking! I need to get cracking because I am behind! Looks like an awesome weekend!

justme said...

we just got a trader joes and that is where i have been going, but man those shots made me miss my whole foods, might have to go there. i have pumpkin butterscotch cookies in my head to bake this week

Robin said...

Looks like a great weekend, the weather was sure beautiful! One week to go....

Christine said...

I love Whole Foods, we sometimes go there for a Saturday brunch. Just wish they would be a little less pricy :)

Anonymous said...

"It's much more fun to shop with free money." <- Always true, but especially in Whole Foods! Free tasty treats?? YES.

I'm not a raw pumpkin fan either - I've tried it in oatmeal & yogurt mixes, and it is NOT my cuppa' tea. Baked goods are where its at. ;)

MCM Mama said...

Not sure I could walk out of WF with only $50 worth of stuff, but I'm pretty sure that's because the one near us has a fabulous selection of beers. In fact, I've been known to go to WF and leave with nothing but beer and sausages.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Nice haul from Whole Foods. A GC is the only way to shop there! Too expensive.

Sweet photos from your trail/country road run. Love it! I did that this weekend too and but enough relaxing.

Richelle said...

We have a Whole Foods here in Minneapolis. I only shop there once in a while because there is a natural foods store closer to where I live and work. Glad you got a nice haul!

Those pumpkin treats look fantastic! I will have to make some for my husband and me... our kitchen will smell fabulous!

The fall colors are so gorgeous!

Hanna said...

Hi, I'm Hanna from Finland and have been reading your blog for awhile now. Thanks for sharing the cookie recipe =o). I'm new to running. I've ran one half marathon two years ago but didn't fall in love with running. But now I will and I'm training for another half which is in December.

Fran said...

I love Autumn, my favorite season and I love seeing beautiful Autumn pics like you posted.

I love weekends like this! Good for you for relaxing and enjoying it.

Johann said...

That is certainly quality time and sounds like you took full advantage of it. Those muffins look super. Great country photos. Looks like some nice trails out there. Have a good week!

Denise said...

perfect way to go into race week!!! crazy to think you don't have a whole foods. although, you'll probably be richer for not having one close by!

kristen said...

Such a gorgeous weekend in this part of the country!!
I'm a little jealous of your Whole Foods experience. I am convinced that stores like that take so long to come to Quebec because it means translating all their corporate information to French...

Runners Fuel said...

Looks like a great weekend!! I loe Whole Foods, just a little too expensive for my $50/week on food budget.

Emily said...

Excellent weekend, excellent food choices! Please come bake for me! We can run, get back, you bake, we eat!

RunToTheFinish said...

ahh whole paycheck, i spend plenty of time there :) the salad bar makes my heart sing

Char said...

That's my idea of a really good weekend. Your pumpkin muffins look amazing!

Michelle said...

Love Whole Foods! And I have to try those muffins - they look so good!

Anonymous said...

What a fun weekend! And free money at Whole Foods sounds like the best! :) After seeing all those baked goods I'm itching to start baking something. Tis the season!

Corrina said...

Hopped over from Tall Mom's blog to wish you a happy birthday and good luck on your marathon!!