Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Week 17

Monday - swim



Monday night we started Masters swimming. I really like the pool, the group (those I've met so far) and the coaches - I think it's going to be a good season! It's neat having a prescribed workout and people actually watching me swim and offering pointers.

1900m ~1h [includes breaks, instructions, coaching, etc.]



Tuesday - run

Tuesday morning I met the girls for a run. My legs were still dead tired from Sunday, but we took it easy and it was great to have company.



12.4KM (7.7mi) - 1:11:10 - 5:45/KM (9:15/mi)



Wednesday - run + swim

I had planned to wake up early to run, but the sound of rain at 5am lured me back to sleep. I was able to run at lunch instead and slogged through it with more heavy legs.

10.0KM (6.2mi) - 56:30 - 5:39KM (9:05/mi)

That night was Masters again.

1700m ~1h [includes breaks, instructions, coaching, etc.]



Thursday - run

Thursday was clinic night at the track, but I knew I had to pass on speed work with my long run looming on Friday morning. I ran from home to the meet place, tagged along on the warm-up and headed back home. I was still feeling really tired despite taking it easy all week and worried about my long run in the morning. I cut the run shorter than planned and walked it in for the last mile or so.

11.0KM (6.8mi) - 1:00:33 - 5:30/KM (8:51/mi)



Friday - run

With a very busy weekend ahead, I decided to get my long run done on Friday by run-muting to work. I was not happy when I woke up to pouring rain at 3:15AM (gross) and almost considered the treadmill for about 0.6 seconds. Luckily the rain had mostly let up by the time I headed out at 4am, but my feet were soaked by the puddles within minutes.


My good friend P reluctantly agreed to meet me part way and I had company for about an hour - it was a great way to break up the run. I was feeling much better than I had all week (phew!) and actually had a pretty great run!

Last long run before taper!! It was great to get it done before the weekend, but staying awake at my desk all day proved a bit difficult. Thankfully I was treated to a much-needed appointment with Dr. Pain in the afternoon.

32.0KM (19.9mi) - 3:03:08 - 5:43/KM (9:12/mi)



Saturday - run

I was awake early Saturday to a cold and blustery October morning. I actually LOVE this weather and couldn't wait to head out for a recovery run. My legs felt fantastic - wouldn't it be great to have physio after every long run??

10.3KM (6.4mi) - 59:32 - 5:46/KM (9:16/mi)

After that we had a long and busy day Saturday complete with cross-training in the form of BOUNCING at hubs' 30th Birthday party.





Sunday - run rest

I had hoped to run again but came down with a cold on Saturday that knocked me on my a**. I got a ton of sleep and spent most of the day on the couch instead.



Total Run Mileage: 75.7 KM (47.0mi)
Total Time: 7:10:53
Average Pace: 5:41/KM (9:09/mi)

Swim: ~3600m/2h



Taper Time!!!

19 comments:

J said...

Great week Marlene! Someday i will run into work - once we move from our current building to the new one this fall. The new one has showers! YAY!

Robin said...

Great week. Enjoy the taper. Sorry about the cold. I woke up with one on Saturday as well, now have a full blown headcold..hoping it passes quickly! Is yours gone? You'll do great at Scotia, I think all this other training will make you very strong!

Rena said...

That's a great week. And I can't believe you got in an almost 20 mile run on a weekday at 4AM. That's inspiring. Now I have no excuse not to go on my long runs.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Yeah for taper! Love that last picture of you. Classic!

RunToTheFinish said...

seems a lot of us get colds right before races, I think it's our bodies way of ensuring we crack pots rest!

Denise said...

i have so much catching up to do but as usual, you've been keeping yourself busy!! hope you're feeling better. and my birthday is coming up, how about you come and plan it??

Anonymous said...

enjoy ur taper time! take it easy and u will kick some marathon booty at Scotia in a few weeks!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Crazy Canadian!

Jill said...

You should be able to add several hundred miles onto your training for that jumping castle!! :)

geo said...

Awesome. You mean you still managed 1900m with all the instruction, breaks and coaching? That's a cluster of awesome!

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

You got up to run at 4 a.m. for 3+ hours on a Friday morning before work? Did I read that right?

Marlene, I need a photo of your back asap. Because girl you've gotta be a running angel with those kind of divine powers!!!!

ajh said...

I just started masters swimming but it is simply swimming, no instruction. That would be nice.

Anonymous said...

Happy taper to both of us!! :) Your pics made me laugh! You make the best photo faces!! :)

MCM Mama said...

Ahh, taper, my favorite time. ;o) Hope your cold fades quickly.

Laura said...

I think a bunch of us caught a blogger cold. I am a snot factory right now but better now than on race day...which is coming up FAST!

Fran said...

I'm so so impressed you get up at 3.15 am and leave at 4 am to run for 3 hours to work. I'm speechless!

Great week Marlene.

Being Robinson said...

yay for tapers! i've been tossing around the idea of a masters swim class, sounds like it would be fantastic!

Jason said...

I just love the faces. They always make me smile.

And I remember that day of 4am run for three hours. You are amazing my friend.....just amazing.

I can't wait to meet so that we can hang out and go for a run at 4am.....

Richelle said...

I'm always so impressed by the amount of mileage you put in throughout your training cycles. You make the rest of us look so lazy! Great week... hope you're feeling better!