Sunday, October 09, 2011

Week 18

My first week of taper was a success. Mileage ended up staying about the same as the previous week, when I had cut back because of not feeling well. I can't believe another training cycle has almost come to end... guess I'd better start coming up with a plan for this little race I have coming up in 7 days!

Monday - swim

~1400m ~1h (includes breaks/instruction)

Spent a lot of time on breaststroke drills, which I didn't love but had to remind myself that everything will contribute to making me a stronger and more balanced overall swimmer.



Tuesday - run + bike

Early morning run with the girls. J had 8K of marathon pace and her Garmin was dead, so I was assigned as pacer. We chatted away and she was strong throughout - I had to reel her in a few times!

13.1KM (8.1mi) - 1:14:58 - 5:43/KM (9:12/mi)



After my dentist appointment I joined hubs on on my bike for a leisurely ride while he ran. It was nice to get out after not being on my bike in weeks!

hard to smile with a numb face
 6.2KM (3.9mi) - 30:31 - 12.2kph (7.6mph)



Wednesday - run + swim

Decided to sleep in and went for an easy run at lunch. Wasn't feeling the greatest after not being able to eat much after the dentist, but got it done.

10.0KM (6.2mi) - 56:38 - 5:39/KM (9:05/mi)

Masters swim was better Wednesday night with more freestyle. There are a couple of coaches and it's amazing how different their methods are. The variety is good!

1500m ~1h (includes breaks/instruction)
300 free w/u - 200 kick - 3x150 freestyle drills - 10x50 stroke-count drills (28 down to 19) - 50 scull c/d





Thursday - run

I had a 3:45 wake-up to get out the door by 4:30 for my last real workout of this cycle. I had 3 x 4000 to complete at MRP (marathon race pace) - the problem is, I don't really know what my marathon pace is! This has been such a strange cycle and I feel a little "off" not having a concrete goal or any real expectations.

I struggled through most of the run and wasn't really feeling it but managed to gut it out, though I did not come any closer to determining a race plan or goal for next weekend. Oy.

16.1KM (10.0mi) - 1:26:41 - 5:22/KM (8:38/mi)
5:05 - 5:09 - 5:06 - 5:10
5:08 - 5:11 - 5:00 - 5:06
5:08 - 5:10 - 5:05 - 5:02
average MRP: 5:06/KM




Friday - run + swim

Another lunch run for my recovery day. Legs were tired and I felt slow, but took my time and enjoyed the sunny break from my desk.

8.0KM (5.0mi) - 46:32 - 5:49/KM (9:21/mi)



I wanted to put in a longer continuous swim and lucked out with a lane to myself, so I just did my own thing. Longest swim to-date!

2500m  ~1h
5 x 500 free-pull-free-pull-free



Saturday - run

This was my last "long" run and I planned to incorporate some MRP (whatever that is) for the middle miles. After Thursday's run, I decided I would worry less about pace and just run what I thought MRP should feel like. What a difference from Thursday! This pace felt pretty comfortable and I had to reel myself in.



21.0KM (13.0mi) - 1:51:45 - 5:19/KM (8:33/mi)
MRP portion - 5:03, 5:03, 5:01, 5:01, 5:02, 5:02, 4:59
average MRP - 5:02/KM



Sunday - run + bike

Just a short morning recovery run to wrap up my week, thinking about all of my peeps who would have been getting ready to line up at the start in Chicago!

5.0KM (3.1mi) - 28:37 - 5:42/KM (9:10/mi)



Hubs and I decided to take advantage of the gorgeous weather and went out for a nice bike ride to take in the fall colors. My legs were pretty tired and I felt like I was crawling up the hills, but we had fun and it was really nice to put in some distance on the bike.



30.0KM (18.6mi) - 1:06:27 - 27.1kph (16.8mph)



Totals:

Run - 73.2 KM - 6:45:11 - 5:32/KM (8:54/mi)
Bike - 36.2KM (22.5mi) - 1:36:58 - 22.4kph (13.9mph)
Swim - 5400m - ~3:00:00

Total Time: 11:22:09



One week to go!!!

17 comments:

Robin said...

Nice week of training! One week to go woo hoo...

Jill said...

Congrats on surviving taper week 1, always a success in my book! :)

Michelle said...

Enjoy this marathon! :)

Sara said...

Look at you go!! I assume you're doing the full marathon next week and not the half or 5K? :):)

That's a lot of triathlon type training even though triathlon season is over. Are you planning on a secret winter triathlon?? :)

Fran said...

Great workout week. The weather looks beautiful at your side of the ocean according to the pics.

J said...

All those workouts - I am just tired from looking at them all. I don't know how you do it all and fit it all in! Great job on the week! I think you have a good marathon pace at 5:00/km. If that feels comfortable then go with it!

Anonymous said...

ONE Week, already?!! Whoa. How do these Fall races creep up on us so quickly?

Enjoy the last 7 days - I think those legs are ready to G-O.

misszippy said...

Sounds like the pump is primed for a good race this weekend! Excited to see what you'll do.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

3:45. holy.moley

From when I started reading your blog until now, your journey is simply inspiring. To watch you and your hubs make these changes in your lives. I feel really lucky today to have "seen" this happen.

You are going to do great i that marathon!

Jason said...

tired of typing great week so have a bad week would ya? Maybe a bad hour?

One thing I will never tire of is the smile. That has to be the greatest smile (not the numb face smile) in the history of endurance athletes. I'm putting it right up there with Chrissie Wellington's.

Jen Feeny said...

I have no doubt you're going to add another notch to your awesome belt! Keep up the good work Marlene!

Jess said...

This was a taper?!

Being Robinson said...

good luck this week on the race, i'm sure whatever pace you pick, you'll nail it!

Richelle said...

I've been wondering whether or not you were going to go for another BQ time on your upcoming marathon or were just going to run it for fun! I'm still wondering!!!

Awesome training week! Once again, you make the rest of us look lazy, ha ha! :)

Aron said...

AHHH getting so close! Can't wait to see what this race has in store for you :)

Runner Leana said...

Yay, happy tapering!!!!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your taper week Marlene! I'm getting excited for you and your big race!