Friday, October 12, 2007

The gym hurts

I am on a mission to get in really good shape this winter. I had a very active summer and want to keep it up, even as the seasons change. As I mentioned a few posts back, we joined the gym. So far it's going good! The plan is something like this...

Monday - 30-45 minute run on treadmill, 30 mins. weights
Tuesday - 30-45 minute run on treadmill, 30 mins. weights
Wednesday - rest day
Thursday - 30-45 minute run on treadmill, 30 mins. weights
Friday - 30-45 minute run on treadmill, 30 mins. weights
Saturday and/or Sunday - long run outside

As I also mentioned previously, I'll be signing up for the Half Marathon Clinic at the Running Room starting in December, so once that starts I'll have outdoor runs Wednesday night (speed/hill work) and Sunday mornings (long distance) and I'll adjust my plan to accommodate.

I have been pretty sore since starting the strength training. It has been so long since I lifted weights! Hopefully it will pay off and I'll be nice and toned by the end of Winter.

Last night I did 5k on the treadmill at 6.5 miles per hour (the dang machines are all in imperial! grr!) which works out to about 5:44 min/km so I did it in about 28:33. I already miss running outside - the scenery, fresh air. But I know if I run outside, I won't get my butt to the gym to do the weights. I'm looking forward to a nice run (or two) outdoors this weekend.

No comments: