Monday, October 22, 2007

No more pretty toes

Well, it's official: I've lost my first toenail. I came down with a bad case of Black Toenail, a.k.a. Runner's Toe or Subungual Hematoma back in late August or September in 4 (yes, FOUR!) of my poor little toes.

A subungual hematoma is a collection of blood (hematoma) underneath a toenail or fingernail which often results from a traumatic injury such as slamming a finger in a door. A laceration of the nail bed causes bleeding into the constricted area underneath the hard nail plate. Because the blood disrupts the connections between the nail bed and nail plate, throbbing pain is common. The nail develops a black discoloration overlying the laceration.


It is a very common condition among runners. It is basically caused by repetitive and prolonged pressure and friction against the toes. Tight shoes or socks only make matters worse.

The funny thing is, I didn't realize I had it until a couple weeks later. After a long run, I noticed that my toes were very tender and blamed it on needing new shoes. It was until a couple weeks later when I took my nail polish off that I discovered 4 of my toes were completely black under the nail. Now, another month or so later, the first nail has finally come off. I assume the other 3 will shortly follow suit. No more pretty feet for me, but at least flip flop season is over!

ETA: And yes, I know, it's gross! LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so gross LAMO!

Safacexo

Anonymous said...

OUCHIE! I was warned about this. My mom is a runner and never had a problem where as our family friend who does marathons and triathalons when he's not teaching University Calculus and other numerical things did.

Christy said...

EWWWWWW! Thanks goodness I haven't had to experience that, yet.