Thursday, March 26, 2009

From Zero to Yasso (TIART)

I have never been one for "speed work." In my two years of running, I have not had the discipline to do it on my own, which is one of the biggest reasons I was so excited about joining a marathon clinic this year. Unfortunately, that skiing incident took me out of the game completely for four weeks (and I have spent the last four weeks easing back into it) so I've missed out on a lot of the meat of this program.

Fortunately I was able to join the group tonight for Yasso 800s.

After a 4K warm-up, I decided to stick with the 4:00-hour pace group (who I ran with pre-injury), so our target for each 800m was 4 minutes. I decided not to look at my watch and just try to keep up with my pace group leader (this is a quick pace for me right now). Well, I managed to hang on for dear life and got through 5 sets. And I actually kind of loved it.

Appropriately, this week's Take it and Run Thursday topic is: Tips to satisfy the need for speed: Tell us about a tip, technique, training idea or magical potion you use to help you become or stay fast(er).

I don't have a whole lot to offer based on my (in)experience, but TFH and Felice wrote some excellent advice on the subject today, so be sure to check out their posts.

As for me, running with a group (or even a partner) is key. I just can't see myself going out there and doing this on my own... at least not yet.

27 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Sweet job on the speedwork! I'll have to incorporate that into my training one of these days :) Hope to see you Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the speed work went well! I've only tried it once and didn't like it, maybe because I was by myself. I also hate running alone, with a partner it is so much more enjoyable!

Unknown said...

I totally agree that running with a partner or group helps make speedwork happen. I do stuff with my group that I would NEVER do on my own. Something about peer pressure works!

Nikemom said...

Running in the dark always seems to make my pace quicker. I like it. :D

Brian said...

I definitly think group running would help. But I am with you, haven't gotten out to do one yet. I have done a couple but havent fully committed to a group. SOON!

Denise said...

I agree. Running with other people helps me push myself and run faster.

Anonymous said...

I think speed work is more fun with a partner or in a group. I really think they add an extra push.

littlesack said...

thanks for all the links. ive been looking for good speed work drills

Jocelyn said...

Good job on the speed work! And running with a group always helps, just don't injure yourself :)

Marcy said...

GREAT JOB CHICA! Those Yassos scare the heck outta me LOL

Mark said...

Great job!! That is an excellent work-out! The training effect is amazing! Keep it up!

Lindsay said...

nice job on the 800s! sounds like they went well since you didn't mention almost dying or anything :) they can hurt sometimes, but glad they went well.

tfh said...

Thanks for the link, but I really think you have the best advice of all-- trying to push (and pace) myself through speedwork alone is a real drag compared to doing it with a running group. Great job on those 800s!

Aron said...

yay for being able to run with the group again!!! great job :)

J said...

That is great that you did 800s! You are well on your way back to where you were before the accident!!

Anonymous said...

Your inspiring me today :)

joyRuN said...

That's EXCELLENT work with the 800s!

I Run for Fun said...

Nice speedwork! I agree...best way to do speedwork is with a group.

M*J*C said...

Great job with your speedwork, and great work getting back into your plan! I totally agree about training with a group...I would have never made it without my group!

yumke said...

I like the idea behind Yassos, I just get too chickened out to work my way up to 8 of them. I met Bart at the MCM expo last fall and chatted with him for a bit. He's really cool.

runwuf said...

I've read Bart's book and done Yassos a few times, but I am very confused about the recovery time. If I jogged 400m for the same amount of time as my 800m time (say 3:55), I am capable to finish 10 sets but the recovery time seems to be too long. I read another book where it indicated 2 minutes recovery for 800m repeats, I simply cannot maintain the same speed after 2 sets! :-(

Toni said...

Great job! I had just started doing speed work before I got injured and discovered that I love it! I wish I had group to run with, that sounds great to just run and not have to look at the time. Just keep up!

Felice Devine said...

800s are so tough! I can usually only get in 4 of them -- working on increasing!

Judi said...

800's are tough!!! i love speedwork. it really does help.

Heather said...

I love 800's! After doing some different types of speed work with my current training plan, I've decided that 800's are definitely my favorite. Way to do five your first time out!

X-Country2 said...

I only recently started doing speed work, and as much as I thought I wouldn't, I'm kind of liking it.

Vickie said...

I love Yassos. They are the easiest, yet most effective, way to do speedwork. I guess it makes it more special because I had the opportunity to meet Bart Yasso at a marathon once. Keep it up. You will see improvement after about the 3rd week.