Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Here we go again

This week marks the first week of my training plan for the Mississauga Half Marathon on May 10th. I have a nine-week program courtesy of the hubby, which establishes my base for a few weeks before working on my stamina.

It feels great to be following a program again. I'm determined to stick to it as closely as possible (I have a history of only loosely sticking to the plan), because I would really like to see a 5K, 10K and half marathon PR this spring. Ambitious? Yes. Realistic? Maybe not. I still don't know what to expect of my body after returning from injury, but I have high hopes. I've decided to take advantage of not training for a spring marathon by working on my speed.

Don't worry, the next three weeks will include slow, base-building miles before attempting any speed work. We'll see how it goes.

The plan for this week is:

Monday - off
Tuesday - 5K (done)
Wednesday - 5K
Thursday - 12K*
Friday - off
Saturday - 14K
Sunday - off**

* I'll be joining my marathon clinic group Thursday evening for their LT run, but I plan to join a slower group than I was running with previously.

** Typically my long run would be on Sunday, but hubby and I are spending the day and night in Niagara Falls on Saturday so I thought it would be nice to go for a run in quaint town of Niagara-on-the-Lake before checking in to our falls-view hotel.

Speaking of hubby... HE'S HOME! He landed safely in Toronto around 10pm Saturday night and stepped off the plane wearing shorts! It was about 1C (34F) and raining. Needless to say, he's still adjusting to the temperature shock!

Here's a quick pic of Mark after an extremely rainy run in New Caledonia:



Not much else to report here. Thanks for all of your comments on my big news. I'm super excited about it!

31 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

great to see you two again today! I find it easier to follow a plan as well, and i'm sure your group will be happy to have you running with them again! Enjoy Niagara this weekend! :D

Marci said...

So nice that you are getting away for the weekend! You so deserve that! I have no doubt you can triple PR!!

RunningLaur said...

Hooray he's home! Enjoy him and the trip this weekend!

ShutUpandRun said...

Good luck with the training!

Run Sarah said...

That schedule looks great! You must be so happy Mark is back, have fun at Niagra Falls, I hope the weather is great for you.

Unknown said...

I'm so happy for you! Must be awesome to have him back home.

Enjoy the new training plan too. :-)

Unknown said...

I'm so looking forward to training again.

teacherwoman said...

I would love to hear a little more about your 9 week plan! I am just getting back into my running after a slight set back and am thinking that my HM in about 9-10 weeks is duable, but don't want to over-do it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good plan. Glad hubby is home!

joyRuN said...

Yeay to having hubby home! Sounds like it should be a good week of running, and a lovely weekend at Niagara-on-the-Lake :)

Brian said...

Welcome back Hubby, haha. That run at Niagra sounds awesome. Get to training :)!

Denise said...

Welcome home Hubs!! I'm so happy you finally have him back!

Unknown said...

Believe it or not, I have never heard of New Caledonia. My guess was somewhere in the Caribbean. I had to google it and found out that it was in South Pacific. Wow !!! That is one heck of a long trip from New Caledonia to Canada.

Good Luck with the training!

Lily on the Road said...

I LOVE NOTL, my friends use to own Greaves Jam & Jellies...

Enjoy your weekend, where are you staying? Prince of Wales or Pillar & Post....

Heather said...

Looks like you have a good training plan for the half. Have a fun weekend!

Marky Mark said...

Excellent! Enjoy easing into it and don't run in the high winds today. :(

tfh said...

Hooray for hubby arriving home safely, if dressed for the wrong climate! Ooh, running in Niagara-on-the-Lake sounds perfect for your long run!

Lindsay said...

sounds like a great plan for the spring! go get those pr's!! hope the shorter, faster training is a nice change of pace from the usual marathon training. glad hubs made it home safe!

Anonymous said...

You guys are going to have a great time! Glad your husband is back and you guys to spend some quality time together.

Felice Devine said...

Get those PRs! Yay!

Glad your hubby is home.

J said...

Enjoy the trip this weekend and have fun running!

Aron said...

YAY for hubby being home :)

I think you can totally PR at all those distances... just train hard and you will be there!! Good luck with training!

Runner Leana said...

I imagine you must be so happy now that your husband is home! Yay for the start of a new training plan, and I hope you have a great weekend in Niagara!

Unknown said...

glad you are back on the Plan and your boy is back in town.

Road Warrior said...

Sounds like you're well on your way. Nice that you'll be able to run with a group. Should make things more interesting.

Unknown said...

Cheers to starting your plan, good luck!

Nikemom said...

WOOT 2 u! Hubs is home,and running again. WOOT!WOOT! Have a great getaway.

Anonymous said...

Go you, for having an awesome hubby that makes your a training schedule!
Keep going!

I Run for Fun said...

So glad your hubby's back. Looks like you have a solid plan. Go get those PRs!

Marcy said...

LOL you sound so much like me. I'm usually pretty good about sticking with the plan for the first month and then . . .ehhh I kinda get all "I can skimp here and there" HAHAHA! GOOD LUCK with it chica!! I know you can stick with it ;-)

Laurel said...

YAY for the hubbs being back. Have fun on your getaway.

Good luck with that training plan. You'll do great, I'm sure.