Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Spring '09 plans revisited



In light of recent circumstances (shoulder separation, blood clot, four week hiatus from running... all that fun stuff), I had to make some adjustments to my race schedule for this season.

Eliminations:

Robbie Burns 8K Road Race (January 25 '09)

Took place the day after my injury. (Incidentally, my friend's son who ran with my bib placed first for my age group.)

Chilly Half Marathon
(March 1 '09)

Several of my friends were running this event so I decided to get involved by volunteering. It turned out to be a great experience. (See last post.)

Around the Bay 30K (March 29 '09)

This is the second year in a row I have sold my bib due to injury. Next year will determine if third time's the charm or if I'm just cursed.

Blue Nose Marathon (May 17 '09)

At first I planned to switch from the full to the half, but my hubby and I (after much deliberation) have decided to postpone our trip to Nova Scotia until September due to the number of work days I missed with my medical issues. Hopefully we can incorporate the Bluenose into our 2010 plans.

Additions:

Sporting Life 10K (May 3 '09)

Mississauga Half Marathon (May 10 '09)

(See sidebar ~~~> for complete '09 schedule.)

I'm excited about both of my new events on the schedule. Training kicks off next week! I would love to see a PR in both events, but I'm still easing back into running at this point, so expectations are not too high.

I'm going to have another exciting announcement tomorrow (hopefully) so stay tuned!

30 comments:

Carly said...

Sounds like you have a great line up. I now have to do some adjustments myself.

Hope you are on the mend.

Unknown said...

That's fun that you've got everything planned out again. I hope you're getting better by the day and will stay nice and healthy from here on out so you can get all your races in!

Run Sarah said...

Glad to hear you were able to line up some more races despite the setbacks these past few months! It sounds like you've already eased back into running nicely.

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you'll kick butt at both :) it's too bad about those that you had to cancel and I totally hope that the 3rd time is the charm for ATB. Blue Nose next year sounds like a good idea!!

Heather said...

Looks like you made some good adjustments! How exciting to be able to start training now after everything you've gone through - a nice change of focus! I'm sure you will be in tip top shape for that half.

Felice Devine said...

Rock on! I'm sending PR vibes your way!

Unknown said...

Glad you are back healthy and on the race road again. You rock.

Run Mommy said...

Great looking schedule! It's ok if the schedule needed adjustment..better that you are healthy.

X-Country2 said...

Looks like a great year! Good luck!

I Run for Fun said...

Great to see you up and running (literally) again! Good luck with the training.

Marci said...

I love the Mississauga course, I have run the half twice there. Glad you are up and running and those look like great plans!

Lindsay said...

i'm glad you are being wise and not trying run (or "run") these races anyway. it can be hard to tell yourself you are not prepared/healthy and back out of the race. i'm glad you have also found some new races to run! and i hope you get to do the 30k next year!!

Denise said...

Probably a good decision to cut back after everything you've been through recently.

Hmmm, another exciting annoucement. You should have let us guess!!

teacherwoman said...

With race schedules, it can be so frustrating to have to cut races out, but it's part of the game and being flexible is key. I can't wait to hear about your exciting announcement tomorrow!

joyRuN said...

Exciting to have great new plans :)

Hooray!!

Road Warrior said...

Very wise moves, I think, Marlene. You've got to be flexible with these things.

You've got a great year ahead of you!

Unknown said...

good job editing the list! How exciting!!

Katie said...

Sounds like you still have an exciting year ahead!

Jocelyn said...

Oh how fun! I like your idea of volunteering

Sarah said...

I am sorry about having to postpone the Bluenose. Next year!

I CAN NOT wait to hear your next big announcement!

xo

Aron said...

YAY looks like you have some great replacements :)

Laura said...

Good luck with the training. The Missisauga run is a well organized one and a decent route as well. Enjoy.

Toni said...

Looks like a good plan, it's nice you found some other races to run in.

Jess said...

Glad you were able to make some substitutions. Adjustments to a race calendar are inevitable, and it's good you can remain positive about all the changes!

littlesack said...

You sound optimistic- I'm glad.
So....I just signed up for my first full marathon. its in october, so plently of time, but im still scared sh*tless, but stomach is in knots!!

Where did you get your training plan? did you make it yourself?

Kristen said...

That's great you volunteered. I think of doing that because the voluteers at the races I have done really helped me out.

Sorry you had to postpone some races but that's great that you made new plans!

My second half is in 8 days...I'm excited but nervous. I just hope I do better than the first one.

Brian said...

Even though you knocked some events out you still added some good ones. I dont know what I wouldve done, keep the optimism high!!

Unknown said...

Can't wait to hear about each one!

macnic said...

My first race is the Mississauga 5km and my cousin is running the marathon! Good luck!

runwuf said...

Maybe see you in Mississauga Marathon, I'll be doing the corp relay - 8k only :-)