Wednesday, March 18, 2009

HOT, Virtual Races and Birthday Cake

As I suspected, High Octane Training (HOT) kicked my butt hard. It was the first time I had done any strength or core training since the accident and I definitely felt it. We worked the upper body with free weights and body bars and the lower body with squats and lunges, peppered with high intensity bursts of cardio on the stepper and finished 'er off with an ab workout on the mat. I'm happy to report that my shoulder held up great - no problems whatsoever. Of course, everything else is hurting this morning.

***

A couple bits of business to address... I updated yesterday's post to include RunningLaur's Hooray Spring 6-Miler this Friday. We even have a bib! If you'd like to participate, it's not too late. Just leave a comment for RunningLaur and join in the fun.



And finally, I hope you'll join me in supporting Marci and Christy in their endeavor to raise money and awareness for the Arthritis Society through Joints in Motion. You can do so by making a donation and participating in Reese's Run on April 24th. Don't wait too long, because early bird prizes will be awarded soon.



***

Tonight I'll be joining my group at the Running Room for a hilly 10K then baking a cake for my Mom's Birthday, which is tomorrow.

Happy Hump Day!

23 comments:

RunningLaur said...

Sounds like you got a little bit of everything in. Have fun in the trails!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad the shoulder didn't bother you the class! Happy bday to your mom! :)

Unknown said...

Mmmmm....cake...yum

Marcy said...

Ohhhh I'm gonna have to check out this Hooray Spring!

Lily on the Road said...

Glad your shoulder is okay!!

Happy Birthday "Mom"!!!

littlesack said...

Im soooo glad your shoulder held up. Doesn't it feel good to be that kind of sore though? its a love/hate feeling.

J said...

Hope the cake is good! Happy Birthday to your mom!

Chic Runner said...

Great races! :) Happy birthday to your mom and enjoy the cake, yum!

X-Country2 said...

All great races!

Have some cake for me.

tfh said...

Great job getting back into the HOT and have a terrific hilly run-- I would definitely be tempted to taste some cake batter after that!

Run Sarah said...

HOT sounds intense! Glad to hear your shoulder is feeling okay.

joyRuN said...

Happy Birthday to Mom!

Glad to hear the shoulder held up to super-intense HOT.

ShutUpandRun said...

Great job on the HOT and glad you're healing.

Marci said...

Hope your mom has a happy birthday, you are so sweet baking her a cake! Thanks for the support for Reese's Run, I really appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like things are moving right along. I am sure your mom will love the cake! Now I could go for a bite.

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday to your mom!

I signed up for the virtual race too...thanks for posting

Glad you are back into running and working out...I really need to work on my arms :-P

Run Mommy said...

I would love to try HOT..sounds great. Thanks for the support of our virtual event! We are very excited and just found out we have some great prizes like running shoes, restaurant cards, bootcamp classes etc.. Thanks again!

Unknown said...

Is there anything you have not done lately?

Lindsay said...

i am glad the shoulder is doing well! i love soreness after a good workout. well, to an extent of course :)

littlesack said...

Ps- ive been meaning to ask you. Do you use a fuel belt? Ive always used a camel back and really like it, except for i like to switch between gatorade and water and cant do that with a camelbak- only one water pouch.

Felice Devine said...

Happy birthday to your mom!!

Brian said...

Im in the spring race too! Good luck :)

I Run for Fun said...

So glad your shoulder held up. Have a great race!