Wednesday, February 16, 2011

2x2 "Two"sday

Yesterday I tackled a tempo/LT interval workout over lunch. According to Pfitzinger:

LT intervals are typically two to five repetitions of five minutes to two miles at lactate threshold pace with two or three minutes between repetitions.

I had 2 x 3200 (2 miles) and wanted to run them slightly faster than tempo pace. I settled on a goal of 4:40/KM (7:30/mi).

Mother Nature treated me to a nice sunny (though cold) day with glorious clear, dry roads. THANK YOU.

Off we go (after a warm-up)...

3200m (2 miles) - 14:50
average pace: 4:38/KM (7:27/mi)

500m (~3:00) recovery jog

3200m (2 miles) - 14:48
average pace: 4:37.5/KM (7:26/mi)

Yep, I pretty much nailed that sucker. 2 mile intervals are no joke! I felt a little tired starting off (as usual), but quickly found the groove and cruised through the intervals like a gazelle (okay, maybe that was just in my head).

By the time I got back to the office, it looked like someone had swirled my head in the toilet and no amount if primping or preening would improve my appearance. Ah well, at least I felt great!

AND since Tuesdays are my two-a-days to hit that medium-long distance, I had another run on deck after work. You didn't think I was done yet, did you?

I was able to hook up with some buddies and as always, it was great to have the company. It had cooled off considerably and we were all freezing our bits off as we dodged treacherous patches of ice in the dark.

23K (14+ miles) on a Tuesday... not too shabby. I still miss those summer mornings when I would run these distances in one shot before work. It just doesn't feel as hardcore when divided over two runs - almost, but not quite.

27 comments:

fancy nancy said...

Seriously....you are just a machine!!! I thought 1 mile intervals were hard! I agree though....summer mornings are way better!

Anonymous said...

speedy gonzales over there!
great job! ur killing it with training this year!

Emily said...

that;s an awesome workout! my coach has a split tempo run on my schedule this week and I've never done one before but it's similar to this idea and now I'm really excited about it!

Anonymous said...

Nope, still hardcore. Don't try to convince yourself otherwise! ;) Ha, I bet you're the only one in that office treking out for a lunch-time sweat, and Nailing those speed workouts!

Denise said...

24 miles on a tuesday??????? nice!

chris mcpeake said...

Well done. 2 mile intervals are always tough. It was a tough day to drag yourself out twice for runs. Way to go

Teamarcia said...

You are totally nailing everything this whole year! You may be splitting the mileage but I'm sure you're reaping all the benefits.

ShutUpandRun said...

Nice job. Always love your drive and discipline!

5 Miles Past Empty said...

i'm sure you looked beautiful! Nothing beats the post workout glow!!! =)

Dang girl, your workouts are killer! Awesome job!!!!!

Johann said...

Great workouts, well done! I'm so glad I can get those early morning runs in. Don't know how I'd cope if I couldn't.

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

You are awesome! I have been splitting my Tuesday and Thursday runs to get the miles in (12 miles or so), but you are right, it doesn't feel as hardcore as those early morning summer runs did.

Runners Fuel said...

You are awesome. You're still hardcore when splitting the runs!

H Love said...

great job!! inspiring as always! yes I miss the LIGHT! Can't wait for early run this summer!

Being Robinson said...

BAM! That's awesome, next marathon I totally intend to add 2 mile repeats in. I think longer repeats are key. Love this!

{will run for margaritas} said...

WOW, awesome workouts. You are no joke. I'm headed to the track tomorrow for my Repeat/tempo run - I'm going to keep thinking "gazelle", too :-)

Julie D. said...

my jaw drops every time I read your work outs. you are rocking it!

TNTcoach Ken said...

Good job toilet head!

Jess said...

In my book, that's pretty hardcore!

J said...

Great job on the two workouts!! 2 milers are tough!! Well done!

Jess @ Blonde Ponytail said...

GREAT RUN and so glad to hear that mother nature let you outside!! YOU ARE A MACHINE!!!

Anonymous said...

Umm... I would totally classify running TWICE in one day as hardcore! :) Great job on the two-fer!

Char said...

Consistency is your middle name at the moment - consistency in doing your workouts and consistency in your pacing. This year is going to be a good one for you.

Richelle said...

Awesome job! I love your determination and drive. You are going to rock Mississauga!

ajh said...

You continue to amaze me with how hard core you are!

Nicole said...

two a days are NO joke! your a running rockstar!

Boris T said...

Awesome job! 2 a day ain't easy!

Lindsay said...

Step it up Marlene. Time for three-a-days. Ugh can you imagine? I'd either be real stinky or just live in the shower.