Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Nothing like a little 10K PR on a Tuesday...


My 10K PR of 47:59 is old, dating back to May 2009. As I set out on my lunch break yesterday for a 10K LT/tempo run, I can't deny that it was in the back of my mind. I've been running my tempos right around that 10K PR pace, so I knew it was a possibility. That being said, I pushed it (mostly) out of my mind and concentrated on the workout at hand for what it was: a tempo run.

Goal: 4:45-4:50/KM

Splits: (no breaks!)
4:47
4:48
4:45
4:43
4:44
4:42
4:40
4:38
4:41
4:32

average for 10K: 4:42/KM (7:33/mi)
10K time: 47:00 (unofficial PR by 59 seconds!)


After last Thursday's 8K/5mi tempo at a 4:40 average,  I admit that a small part of me questioned if it had been a fluke... clearly it was not! I am just not used to seeing these numbers on a consistent basis and often do a double-take myself when I recap these runs. Last summer I was killing myself to hit 5:00/KM (8:00 mi) on my tempos!

I know I ran this perfectly - it felt "comfortably hard" throughout and I was able to zone out and hit the pace without checking my Garmin constantly. I must be doing something right...

When I emailed coach to brag check-in, the subject of my message was "Thursday was not a fluke" and I mentioned being afraid that this bubble I seem to be in is going to "pop" before race season... his response: "Well, none of can know what the future will bring - there may be temporary set-backs, but NONE of your recent running success has been a fluke! This is the REAL you."  :-)


Thumbs-up for lingering daylight as I set out for my second run after work!



P.S. I'll be going after that official 10K PR on May 1st.

32 comments:

Running Ricig said...

yay for PRs and two-a-days!

Anonymous said...

love it! great job.
u will be breakings lots of records this year. 100%
love the big smile! :)

TNTcoach Ken said...

That's just crazy! What will you do in an actual race??????????

Anonymous said...

LOVE IT!!! That smile says it all (and omg how amazing is it to still have sunshine?!) This is definitely no fluke, take in the success and keep running with it ;)

Jen Feeny said...

Way to rock the 10k girl!!!! You are totally coming for that PR!

TMB @ RACING WITH BABES said...

Awesome job! Can't wait to see what you do on race day.

My 10K PR is from 2008. 53:17 - 8:34 pace. I know I could blow that out of the water now ...

H-woman said...

Whoo hoo! Congrats!

=)

Runners Fuel said...

Great job!! This is the real you!!

RunKathyRun said...

You are running so strong; you are working hard and it is paying off!

Emily said...

so fast! congrats on a bad ass run.

J said...

Great job Marlene! You did awesome on the tempo!! So impressive! You sure are speedy!

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

YIPPEE!!! Way to go SPEEDY.. You have been working so hard, I am sure it feels great to see the results. Love the smiley photo..looks COLD!!

Denise said...

awesome!! and yes...this is the REAL you!! believe it!! :-)

Amy said...

Wow! You said it - you must be doing something right! Way to go!

Allison said...

Congrats on the amazing tempo run and PR!

Char said...

That's no fluke.You've been running so well. You've been consistent in training. You've put in the hard yards. This time is the fruit of your labour.

5 Miles Past Empty said...

I love your coaches response! The real you is FAST!!! Nice job!!! Ok, MAY 1st it will be official! And I am placing bets on a more than 59 second PR!!! Just sayin'!

ajh said...

Love the smile on your face! No fluke for sure!

Aron said...

your training is going amazing!!! definitely not a fluke :)

rinusrunning said...

WOW, congrats and fast!.

Anonymous said...

Love the thumbs up pic! And right on for the two-a-days! You are a rockstar!

Jen B. said...

Hitting PR's on training runs are the best!!! Your hard work is surely paying off....Awesome!!

Teamarcia said...

Sheer awesomeness! You are so not a fluke.

Richelle said...

Way to go, Marlene!

EndorphinBuzz said...

That is great news! I'm sure you will do even better on race day!

Jessie said...

That is awesome! 10K's are my favorite distance. Ive only ran one race, but I love that distance right now and am hoping to blow my first 10k time out of the water this summer. My first 10k was a 53:13. I cant wait till May when I can give it another shot!

Unknown said...

You're such a Rock Star! Oh, love the pic, too!

Winks & Smiles,
Wifey

Gotta Run..... said...

I have a feeling that you will be hitting lots of PR's this year :))))

Nitmos said...

Sign up for a 10k. Make it official. That is all.

Julie D. said...

wow, marlene. that is just awesome!! No fluke, girl. You've worked your tail off for this.

Nicole said...

Nice job on your run lady!!! :) Your a rockstar!

Lindsay said...

Who PR's on a Tuesday? You need therapy... :)