Saturday, February 19, 2011

Well I'm glad THAT'S done.

Personally, I thought I had built enough "character" on my long run two weeks ago - at least for this month! Apparently Mother Nature had other ideas. After a beautiful spring-like day yesterday (sunny and 10C/50F+), I woke up several times overnight to the howling wind. Sure enough, the morning brought freezing wintery temps, falling (and blowing) snow and crazy winds of 50-60 kph (31-37 mph). This ranks pretty close to that morning after Antigua run on the "misery scale" for running conditions.

Highlights of various thoughts and "conversation" over 30K (18.6) miles, as the footing became worse and worse and we slip-slided our way along, the biting wind pounding us with the white stuff from all directions:

  • "watch the ice!"
  • this sucks
  • we must be insane
  • my water is frozen
  • "watch the ice!"
  • why are we doing this again?
  • I can't feel my face
  • are we almost finished?
  • No!
  • "watch the ice!"
  • are we even moving?
  • I'm stopping at 30K (had planned 32)
  • this counts as at least 40 anyway

I don't know if I've ever been so happy to his "stop" when my Garmin chimed at 30K. As if on cue, I hit a patch of ice and didn't have the energy to stop myself from going down. I landed with an oof  in a snow bank and almost didn't get up.

It was two hours and fifty five minutes of (mostly) misery. Fortunately I had awesome friends to keep me company. Other than that, it pretty much sucked... but at least it's done! This one called for a sprinkle donut.

27 comments:

kristen said...

It was treacherous out there today (and I'm in Montreal...so it was treacherous in a lot of places). It was definitely a buzz-kill to wake up to today's weather after the last couple of days.

(glad someone else loves sprinkle donuts as much as I do)

Marky Mark said...

I felt virtuous doing about a half an hour. I can't imagine doing that distance over that time span on a day like today. Congrats! And I'm glad you weren't hurt. I do wonder though if on days when there is ice we should have a training partner who stages an "intervention" and forbids us from doing it until a day when the ice is gone.

misszippy said...

Just think of all that character you've built now! At least there's nothing your marathon can throw at you that you won't be ready for, right?

Joanna said...

This is why God gave us TREADMILLS! But in all seriousness, I feel for you. Ice terrifies me. I hope you're ok after the fall.

Lisa said...

that sounds utterly brutal. Congrats on getting through it! Hopefully Spring will arrive soon, and stick around for a bit!

ajh said...

Good for you for doing it! You have my sympathies. I am a little worried about my race tomorrow. It is so so cold and windy here it is unbearable. I will think of you and get through it!

justme said...

done, that is all that matters

Boris T said...

It's done... Today wasn't the best day to be out there.

Char said...

Our weather is hideous too. Stinking hot and humid. You can't sleep at night because of the heat. You can't nap during the day because of the heat. And running is its own form of torture.

Johann said...

You have my admiration for sure, well done! At least you can go into your marathon feeling strong and confident.

J said...

Yesterday was brutal for a run! If I hadn't met up with the running group to run I prolly would have ended up on the treadmill! It was so windy and cold! But running with people made it go by so quick.

Teamarcia said...

What was it about yesterday?? I had the same kind of run--although thankfully not 18. Way to push through--and at least you went down in a snow bank right?

MCM Mama said...

You are so hard core! It was warm, but super windy here yesterday and I couldn't motivate myself to get out for a measly 3 mile run LOL.

TNTcoach Ken said...

That was really smart! Where is that sarcasm font?????

Lindsay said...

i would have eaten 2 donuts, minimum.

Nicole said...

We had the SAME weather... and then this morning, mother nature woke up pissed off and dumped a shit ton of snow on us. SIGH!

Badgergirl said...

Nice job getting the run done in the nasty weather. I had a hard enough time driving in the winter storm that's hitting us!

Jason said...

Hope you are ok and I'm sure that donut did wonders for it as well. Did you rub the donut on the sore area or just eat it?

Richelle said...

Yucky weather and fall! I hope you're okay. You totally deserved that sprinkle donut!

Jess said...

Sounds awful!

Denise said...

oh god. i've had a few runs like this myself. hate the miserable ones! great job toughing it out. those winds were brutal!

Shannon said...

Wow, that definitely does call for a sprinkle donut!

Julie D. said...

I swear, you've had some crazy weather runs. Just makes you all the more 'hardcore'. Nice job pushing through, yet again!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe your water bottles FREEZE. You all are definitely insane on some awesome level, but power to ya!! Congrats on finishing this one and I hope that Sprinkle donut hit the spot ;)

Mel -Tall Mom on the Run said...

I think you should take a sabbitical and come run here with me, it is the only feasilb solution.. Hang in there!! Way to rock it out... and SORRY for complaining about my little bit of cold...it is all in perspective...

Anonymous said...

Way to stick it our Marlene! I had a run earlier this year that felt that same way. It's no fun fighting the ice but atleast you made it almost all the way before slipping. And yes a donut was much deserved! Good job! :)

Anonymous said...

oh man, that sounds like a tough run. and u did it! congrats. that is friggin awesome!