Monday, August 25, 2008

33K... or not

Yesterday did not go exactly according to plan. I could tell within the first 5K that it would be unlikely (or at least extremely difficult) to complete 33K as I had hoped. I had very little energy and was actually feeling nauseous by about 10K.

I trudged through another 10 and finally called it quits around 20K. I was completely exhausted and felt beaten down. I know it would have been a very bad idea to force myself through another 13, and it would have accomplished nothing positive for my body or mind. There are runs where you just have to toughen up and get through it, and you'll feel stronger in the end... but then there are runs where you should quit while you're ahead. There is no question that I made the right call yesterday.

I felt so sick, dizzy and worn out when I got home that I crawled into bed (in my sweaty clothes!) and passed out for an hour and a half.

Taking into account that I had just returned from vacation (7+ days of eating junk and drinking) and Friday was my first run over 5K in almost two weeks, I'm not terribly surprised by the results of my long run.

There's nowhere to go but forward, so I'm focused on a solid week of eating the right foods, drinking tons of water and logging my scheduled runs so I'll be ready to make up the 33 next weekend. Hopefully I'll have a much better report a week from today!

3 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

you definitely made the right call. :)

Road Warrior said...

Oh you'll definitely be back to full force once you get back in the groove. It's amazing how much good nutrition has an effect on our bodies. Without it, I can't go much further than a 10K without wanting to die.

AddictedToEndorphins said...

Sounds like you did what I would've done!!!

33 days til the race too. It's a popular number...!!!