Monday, August 15, 2011

Week 10

Monday - swim + bike

Remember when I used to do nothing on Mondays?? Yeah, me neither. :)

I hit the pool for a morning swim. I am really starting to hate this pool because there are only 3 lanes and it gets way too crowded with 6+ people per lane. I much prefer the evening pool swims near home with hubs, and the lake moreso!

2 x 400
~20mins

There's usually a group I meet Monday nights for a recovery ride in the flats, but nobody could make it. I decided to go anyway and brought my camera to capture some of the views. Love this ride.

25.0KM (15.5mi) - 59:36 - 25.2 kph (15.6 mph)



Tuesday - run + swim + run

Having not run since Saturday and having a physio treatment Monday, I was anxious to get out and test out my hamstring.... but apparently not anxious enough to get out of bed early when I wasn't meeting Juliana. Zzzzz. Oops! (Thanks to Jason for calling me out on Twitter for missing my morning tweet - busted!)

Instead I packed my bag and went for a lunch run... in a torrential downpour. It was raining so heavily that my co-workers were avoiding leaving the office in their cars! That didn't stop me, and they looked on in disbelief as I splashed my way through the parking lot. I took it easy and my hamstring felt fine - it turned out to be a great feel-good run. It can be so uplifting to run in the rain!



9.0KM (5.6mi) - 50:58 - 5:39/KM (9:05/mi)

After work I was able to fit in an impromptu open water swim at Lake Wilcox. Why pay for the pool when I can have a much more enjoyable swim for free? Hubs wasn't swimming but watched me from shore as I swam out to the first big buoy and back. I tucked the Garmin in my swim cap again and this time set my autolap to 100m. I actually heard it beeping in the water, which was neat. I also learned that I swim much better by myself, as opposed to having hubs in the water with me - because I am constantly distracted and wanting to make sure I know where he is!

580m - 12:12
(includes time fussing with my cap & goggles after starting the watch)



I had another run on deck to finish off my day once we got home, and happened to bump into two buddies who were running through my neighbourhood. I tagged along and enjoyed the company for a few kilometres and finished as the sun began to set.

6.0KM (3.7mi) - 33:31 - 5:34/KM (8:57/mi)





Wednesday - run

These days where I "only" run are starting to feel odd. ;) How things change...

I was up at my usual early hour (HI JASON) for an easy run. As usual I had sleepy legs for the first little while, but they gradually woke up. I remained cautious and took it easy.
10.2 (6.3mi) - 59:42 - 5:51/KM (9:24/mi)



Thursday - run x 2

I wanted to keep things lighter earlier in the week to ensure my hamburgerstring my was okay, so Thursday became medium-long day this week. I went for a nice run early in the morning with a great chill in the air. At 13C (55F), it almost felt like Fall! I love how this temperature feels cold now, but would feel balmy in April.

8.2KM (5.1mi) - 5:34 -  5:32/KM (8:54/mi)

Thursday night was clinic and we had speed work on the agenda. My plan was to be conservative and back off as soon as I felt anything in the hamstring, since running fast seems to be what aggravated it on Saturday.

I ended up doing a few repeats and cut the workout short at 4x800 (avg 3:32) when it really started to bother me. It has felt great on all of my easy runs this week, so clearly it is just not ready to go fast. Bummer.



Friday - bike + swim

On Friday I rode my bike to and from work.

AM: 35.6KM (22.1mi) - 1:22:03 - 26.0 kph (16.2 mph)
PM: 29.6KM (18.4mi) - 1:08:29 - 25.9 kph (16.1 mph)



That night I hit the pool for a swim. It's my favourite time to go because apparently most people have "better" things to do on Friday night.

1600m: 600 free, 400 pull, 300 free, 300 pull
~35 mins.


 
 
Saturday - [long] run + bike + swim
 
big training day - Recap
 
run: 32.0KM (19.9mi) - 3:01:29 - 5:40/KM (9:07/mi)
swim: 1070m - 23:57
bike: 20.0KM - 46:20 - 25.9 kph (16.1 mph)
 


Sunday - run

I had a busy day planned so I dragged my tired butt out of bed early for a recovery run. The first mile or so was a total slog, but I eventually woke up and it was a decent run. I just kept telling myself that I could sleep in on both Saturday AND Sunday next weekend (evening race Saturday for my long run). Woohoo!

8.0KM (5.0mi) - 46:56 - 5:52/KM (9:26/mi)

 


WEEKLY TOTALS


Total Run Distance: 85.7 KM (53.3 mi)
Total Run Time: 8:05:49
Average Run Pace: 5:40/KM (9:07/mi)


Total Bike Distance: 110.2 KM (68.5 mi)
Total Bike Time: 4:16:28
Average Bike Speed: 25.8 kph (16.0 mph)


Total Swim Distance: 4050m
[Approximate] Total Swim Time: 1:31:00
Total Training Time: 13:53:17




21 comments:

Emz said...

holy. freaking. crap.

when
do
you
rest?!?! ;]

you rock.

"most people have "better" things to do on Friday night." - loved this.

ShutUpandRun said...

Almost 14 hours are you kidding me??? You need to sign up for a full IM!

Robin said...

Yowza I am tired just reading that post! You are doing awesome!

J said...

14 hours of working out! You better be eating like every 10 minutes! Great job!

Aron said...

14 hours! Are you sure you aren't training for a longer tri??? ;)

Unknown said...

Awesome week!

So, do your plans depend on boston? I'm guessing that if you can get in this year, you do boston and then do an ironman. If the rolling registration keeps you out, you do a faster marathon and the ironman gets put off a year?

How's my guess? ;)

Jason said...

SUAR is right....skip all the nonsense and go right to the IM. Come down to TX in May....we will host and then shoot down to the Woodlands and race together.

And you've got the whole OWS washing machine thing down with 6+ people per lane. That is bananas.

Is that for real? I mean how do you get into a rhythm with that many people in each lane.

Heather said...

I don't know how you swim with six people in a lane - I get crabby if someone is swimming in the lane next to me! Nice training week. :)

RunToTheFinish said...

you are really hitting your stride with training and it's awesome to see!! i love it when everything is just flowing

Char said...

How many calories do you use in a week? It must a huge number.

Jill said...

Holy crap, girl....do you ever take a rest day? Remember, rest fuels the body! Just not 400 days off! ;)

Nicole said...

freaking rockstar!

Joanna said...

Awesome week! And I'm so glad the hammy is backing off a bit. Otherwise I was going to have to put IT on notice. Ha!

Laura said...

There are no words...
Do you miss the rest day at all?

Anonymous said...

damn, girl! thats a lot of time running, swimming and biking!
awesome week!

Lily on the Road said...

hmmmm, this is the old lady here....

Now that you've incorporated the swim and bike into the mix, you REALLY need a rest day, whether it is going for a walk a light swim or a lounge in the chair. Since your hammy is talking to you, I'd listen. Your body does need a rest day to catch up or you're going to blow a wheel (your legs) and you don't want to do that since you've BQ'd.

Okay, I'll stop nagging now! LOL

Lindsay said...

Umm. I do nothing everyday and it's pretty glorious. For now... The weight gain isn't though.

You PREFER the lake? Ew. That's worse than eating fake ice cream!

Fran said...

Reading your recap of the week gets me inspired and motivated every week again. Excellent workout week Marlene.

Silly Girl Running said...

Wow! Running 50+ miles a week and then adding swimming and cycling to that? Wow...

Anonymous said...

HOLY MOLY! Seriously girl...this is an amazing week. How you find time to do anything else I just don't know. But I am super proud of your commitment and dedication!! :)

Richelle said...

I'm with Linzi... how do you find time to do anything else?!