Monday, August 29, 2011

Week 12

This week ended up being lighter than planned. There were two days that I wasn't feeling too hot, so I listened to my body and rested. Having a short distance/high intensity race on Saturday also reduced the volume I was able to do, but I think it all worked out for the best because I was able to complete my longest run of this cycle on Sunday feeling good.

Here's the run down...


Monday - rest

Yep, I took a rest day. Sometimes I eat my words. ;) I just didn't really feel well at work all day and while I was feeling better that evening, I opted to be lazy clean my bike and watch some TV instead.



Tuesday - run x 2 + swim

2 for "Tuesday"



AM: 16.2KM (10.1mi) - 1:27:46 - 5:26/KM (8:44/mi)
Noon: 6.0KM (3.7mi) - 33:15 - 5:32/KM (8:54/mi)




PM: Open Water Swim Clinic

~500m/~30 mins. [not recorded, mostly drills]





Wednesday - bike + run

Windy bike-mute to work



bike: 45.5KM (28.3mi) - 1:57:44 - 23.2 kph (14/4mph)

After work I joined the Wednesday night group for run club (I didn't bike home). We set out for a recovery run, which turned into a fartlek at the end when we caught caught in an insane thunderstorm with torrential rain and wild lightning. I was happy I wasn't alone or far from home. Yikes!



run: 13.3KM (8.3mi) - 1:16:20 - 5:43/KM (9:12/mi)




Thursday - run + swim

I ran with clinic and we headed to the track for some intervals. The plan was (800-1200-1600)x2. All day I had been feeling weak and tired so I knew I would have to play it by ear. After a couple of repeats, I knew it wasn't going to happen. I wasn't sure if I was just beat up from Wednesday or fighting a cold, but I wasn't going to push it either way. I ran an 800 (3:33), a 1200 (5:18) and stopped at 1200 on the next one (5:35) before calling it quits and jogging slowly around the track while everyone wrapped up their workouts.

We had originally planned to go to the pool for a late swim, but decided to head home and go to bed early instead based on how I was feeling.

12.8KM (7/9mi) - 1:10:45 - 5:31/KM (8:52/mi)



Friday - run rest

I had planned to do an easy recovery run Friday morning, but decided to sleep in and give myself a rest day to ensure I was feeling better for Saturday. I can not afford to get sick! I took it easy and got ready for race day instead.



Saturday - swim + bike + run

Toronto Island "Give-it-a-Tri"

swim: 400m - 8:20
bike: 10K - 18:22
run: 2.5K - 11:18

Race report coming soon!!




Sunday - run

It was not fun waking up at 4am for the second morning in a row, but I was meeting the group for a big long run. A pool party and brunch would follow, so that made it a bit easier to get out the door.

I needed to run a bit extra before the group in order to his the distance I wanted for the day and was able to rally a friend to join me. We ran a few before meeting everyone else for a scenic run on a mixture of roads and trails.

We were treated to a fantastic refreshment station about two thirds of the way through with drinks, fruit, gummies and even chocolate - it was the perfect boost to get through the last leg of the run, which was also the most challenging in terms of terrain.

I was definitely ready to be done by the time we finished, but felt pretty strong throughout. Happy to get this big distance under my belt! And a cool dip in the pool followed by a huge meal made it all worthwhile.

35.0KM (21/7mi) - 3:21:19 - 5:45/KM (9:15/mi)



WEEKLY TOTALS


Total Run Distance: 85.8KM (53.3mi)
Total Run Time: 8:00:43
Average Run Pace: 5:36/KM (9:01/mi)

Total Bike Distance: 55.5KM (34.5mi)
Total Bike Time: 2:16:06
Average Bike Speed: 24.5 kph (15.2mph)

Total Swim Distance: 800m
Total Swim Time: 38:20

Total Training Time: 10:55:19



25 comments:

Heather said...

Nice week, hope you are feeling better! So excited to read about your first tri. :)

Fran said...

What a great week and great result on the tri on Saturday.

Glad that you listened to your body and took some days of last week.

I'm so impressed you run 10 miles in the morning before work. What time do you get up for that?

J said...

Awesome week Marlene! I cannot WAIT for the tri report!! I tried not to look on daily mile so I wouldn't ruin the surprise! Cause I always know your results ahead of time on there or facebook so i am trying to just wait for your report but its hard!

B.o.B. said...

Your week makes me exhausted. LOL! Congrats on your tri that's awesome!

Wendy said...

Congrats on your tri!
Looks like a great week!

Jill said...

Glad you listened and rested last week, this week should pay off nicely for that!! :)

A dip in a pool post-long run would be freaking awesome...so jealous. I have a community pool in our neighborhood...you'd think I'd take advantage...not so much! :(

Anonymous said...

Ahemmm, we need to hear more about that race!! ;) Congrats on the finish AND doing the LR on Sunday!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Glad you took a rest when you needed it, because you came back with a fantastic tri and great week overall!
:)

Johann said...

Great week once again! Good to see you actually listen to your body:) Keep it going!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

Stopped by to see if there was another title for your blog yet! Heehee.

Shellyrm ~ just a country runner said...

Holy LEGS Girl!!! We rarely get to see your legs but that photo after the T-storm run is smoking! I think your quads could give T's a run for their money. I need to train for tris...so I get better legs. (insert whistle noise)

Another envy-inducing week. Great job!

Being Robinson said...

looks like you kicked some butt at that tri this weekend lady. nice week of workouts. rest is GOOD! coming from the girl who prolly does too much of it ;)

Jason said...

Wasn't sure it would be possible to compete with Despicable Marlene but Disgruntled Marlene is right up there now. I need to make a collage of your pics so that I can just laugh until I pass out from no oxygen.

Unknown said...

congrats on your tri!!

Anonymous said...

Glad you were able to listen to your body and take a little break when you needed it. And sounds like you still had a great week!! :)

Anne said...

Congrats on your tri! You were very smart in your training and it looks like it paid off :) You are amazing!

Richelle said...

Congrats on your tri! Looks like you had some fast times! I'm looking forward to the full race report.

Nicole said...

Nice job on your 1st tri! your a ROCKSTAR!

Joanna said...

Oooh, I love that it's a smiley pic from the Tri. That must be good news!

Amy said...

Looks like the extra rest paid off given the picture at the tri! Great job, Marlene!

MCM Mama said...

Good job listening to your body! I can't wait to hear all about your tri.

Unknown said...

Nice job! I can't wait read the full race report.

Laura said...

Can't wait to hear about the tri (though I know how it ended :) )
Rest days?! Thank goodness...I was thinking you weren't human.

Jessie said...

I took a needed rest day yesterday and counted my house cleaning as cross training! After the 20 miler I needed a break!!!!

Teamarcia said...

Fantastic as always, especially witj a rest day! Wow I'm exhausted just looking at your Tuesday. Well done!