Saturday, January 12, 2008

A revelation

Before joining my half marathon clinic, I had never considered the concept of running 10&1's (run 10 minutes, walk 1). The Running Room highly recommends (almost insists) that it's the right way and the only way to run. At first I was disappointed that our clinic would be following the 10&1 system because all of my previous training had been continuous running (including my first half marathon). It seemed like a step back. My concerns were three-fold: a) I thought I would have a hard time getting back into my rhythm after a walk break, b) I worried I would be constantly watching the time, desperate for the next walk, and c) I assumed my pace would be slower. In a word, I was skeptical.

So hubby and I "rebelled" and did our own thing, running continuously. But since he's been off with an injury for three weeks, I've been running with different people and finally gave 10&1's a chance. And you know what? Turns out it's not so bad. I don't seem to have a hard time getting back into a rhythm, I don't catch myself staring at the time and counting down to the next walk and most surprisingly, my pace has IMPROVED. Our distances have been increasing, but my LSD pace has been better than ever.

Live and learn, right?

I'll see where this new 'revelation' takes me. I'm still not sure if I will run 10&1's at the Chilly Half. I suppose it can't hurt to give it a shot. One of the girls in my clinic takes her walks during races at the water stations rather than in timed intervals...that's not a bad idea.

This morning my instructor and another girl from the group met me at 7:30 for our long run because I won't be in town tomorrow. We did nearly 17KM, my longest run ever other than the half marathon. And our average pace was 6:13 min/km, which is FANTASTIC. W00t!

Best of all, I GET TO SLEEP IN ON A SUNDAY!

2 comments:

Christy said...

Congrats on the distance!

Ok, I don't do the 10&1 either, granted I don't run quite as far as you yet, but even when I was doing around 12-13K I wanted to run the whole thing. My reasoning is pretty much exactly like yours, plus in my head I feel like I accomplished more by actually 'running' the entire thing...silly I know.

Maybe I will have to try the 10&1's as my distance increases.

Marlene said...

Christy, I know what you mean about feeling as though you accomplished more. My only recommendation to you is to be open to the idea ... it works for some, not for others.