Thursday, January 10, 2008

Survived 6 hills

Last week I was dreading hills. I have always had a really hard time with them, and running 5 hills ended up being exactly as challenging as I expected, but much more enjoyable and fulfilling. So I have a new-found appreciation for hills and I was actually looking forward last night.

We did 6 laps around the 1K loop and 9.2K total. Just like last time, there was an ongoing negotiation in my head and I thought for sure I was going to stop at the top of each hill...but I kept on going. Each hill was progressively harder, but I felt more and more empowered as I reached the top the first time, second time, third time, all the way to the last few steps at the top of hill number 6. It's hard to explain the sense of accomplishment.

But I still find it overwhelming to think we will be running 9 hills in a matter of a few weeks. Eek!

1 comment:

Christy said...

I haven't done much in the way of hills ever! I normally run near our house and it is very flat. Probably once the winter is over, I will start running after work in the river valley here near campus. I am excited and scared at the same time :)