Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A better day

Today was definitely better than yesterday. Thanks for making me feel better about taking an extra rest day... you're right, sometimes we just need it!

I headed to the Running Room this evening to meet up with some people from my group for a 10K. It was an absolutely beautiful day (where was this weather on the weekend?) and it was still 28C (82F) and sunny when we headed out this evening. Needless to say, I was HOT. I definitely need to get acclimatized to summer running. It always seems that spring is too short and we go from freezing cold to boiling hot. What's up with that?

Anyway, not much to report on the run except the heat. I was struggling and took a short cut with a few others cutting about a kilometre off the run. Tomorrow is our usual clinic night and we'll probably be going over last minute details for everyone heading to Ottawa this weekend - especially those running their first marathon.

But right now, I'm going to hit the floor for some ab and arm work while watching American Idol. I haven't watched all season but there are actually some really decent performers tonight for the finale. Don't ask me who I think is going to win because I don't even know who these guys are!

20 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

glad today was a better day. bring on summer! LOL see you tomorrow YAY!

teacherwoman said...

I am sad I missed all the performances while I was at the pool. But, happy to make it home in time to see the winner! :)

Glad to hear you had a much better day... sometimes we just need to rest days, as hard as it is for us mentally! :)

Unknown said...

yay for a better day!!

I Run for Fun said...

Glad the rest helped. What's up with the scorching heat??? Hope you enjoyed the show.

Melanie Tait said...

Running in the warm is one thing I know about! It sounds like you're running at night, but here's what I do to get through it:
*make sure I'm drinking all day and night before the run
*wear a thin light coloured top (white or light blue - black top's heat kills!)
*embrace the sweat!!

Carly said...

Glad you enjoyed your rest day.

Marky Mark said...

I prefer the cold to hot and humid! I ran along the water last night at around 6 and withthe breeze and the view it was perfect. Today will be too hot though.

Jess said...

Glad you enjoyed your rest and then got a good run in.

JenZen said...

We definitely need extra rest days now and again. I just posted how summer running just kills me too.

Heather said...

I love the hotter weather, but you're right, it takes a little bit to get used to running in it again. But I promised myself I would not complain once the dreadful winter was over, so I'm trying to embrace it! :)

yumke said...

I switched to early morning running which i'll be doing more of as it heats up

X-Country2 said...

Some days a rest day is all your need.

Unknown said...

enjoy the weekend in Ottawa. Have fun!!!

tfh said...

Ooh, you're a virtuous tv watcher. I'm usually shoving something down my piehole while I watch. ;)

Being Robinson said...

Rest is good, very good! And you are a hardcore TV viewer, I'm usually laying on my couch eating and surfing the internet! Your 5 in 5 sounds like a LOT of fun, good way to get the summer started!

Jamie said...

glad to hear it was a better day for you! Summer weather sure came out of no where again!

Lindsay said...

glad today was better and the extra rest time helped. i always intend to do abs whenever i watch tv but... sitting on the couch (and eating some junk food) is just much easier (and tastier... and blubbery-er...) :)

chris mcpeake said...

an extra day off now and then is always a good idea. Took one myself just the other day but it can be hard to listen to your body when you know your scheduled to run.

Good luck in ottawa

Toni said...

Glad you had a better day. I think the heat is always harder to run in, it's good to run slower until you adjust.

Felice Devine said...

The cold then super hot thing is tough. That's what we've had here, too. It takes time to get used to the heat!

Have a good weekend!