Monday, May 18, 2009

Freedom Weekend

As much as I love races, I've enjoyed having some freedom this weekend - in particular, sleeping in! (Since when is 8am sleeping in?)

On Saturday morning someone from my marathon group needed company for 16K (10 miles), so I joined him for a rainy run. He was struggling and we took a lot of walk breaks, but it was still nice to have the company. For the rest of the day, hubby and I cleaned the house, did some shopping and just hung out. It was kind of nice going to bed knowing that we didn't have to get up at 5am on Sunday.

Yesterday morning I headed out for a speedier 5K. It was sunny and looked beautiful out, but I got a shock when I stopped outside to discover that it was only 7C (44F) and extremely windy. In the afternoon we headed to my aunt and uncle's place in the country for a BBQ and bonfire and spend most of the afternoon outside despite the cold and wind.

Today we're doing some gardening (after scoring a ton of plants from my aunt yesterday!) before having my in-laws over for a BBQ of our own this afternoon. It should be a nice way to wrap up the long weekend.

I hope everyone else had a good one! I'll be catching up soon.

18 comments:

Lindsay said...

the weather was the same here this weekend. warm but rainy saturday, and chilly on sunday! but, at least the sun was out. i feel you on that "sleeping in". it's physically impossible (lately) for me to sleep later than 8-ish. :( glad you had a good weekend and were able to get some nice runs in.

Jocelyn said...

It was colder here this weekend too. Whats up with that! great job on the runs...now I want bbq!

J said...

enjoy the day off!! It is nice to sleep in but it stinks when you still wake upat 8am! I have had those mornings...usually the day after a track meet. Something about being so exhausted from competing dpesn't allow me to sleep!

Lily on the Road said...

Enjoy your day in the gardens! Wasn't that wicked cold yesterday??

Heather said...

Sounds like a great long weekend! By the way, it showed in parts of Minnesota on Friday and Saturday. Yuck. :)

tfh said...

Sounds like a nice race-free weekend! It's funny that as far apart as we are, it sounds like we had similar weekend weather. Brrrr!

Mel-2nd Chances said...

the sun was definitely deceiving yesterday. Sounds like a well deserved weekend of relaxation :)

Felice Devine said...

Sounds like a good weekend! It was chilly on Sunday here, too. The sun is trying to shine today -- I'm pulling for it!

Jess said...

Glad you got to enjoy a weekend off from racing!

Marci said...

Glad you had a nice weekend. I was supposed to sleep in this morning and woke up at 5:30 with restless legs.

Jason said...

Glad to here you had a good, relaxing weekend.

teacherwoman said...

Sounds like a good weekend!

Runner Leana said...

Sorry to hear about the crappy weather out your way. Hope your long weekend was a good one!

Anonymous said...

What, no racing??? Just kidding, glad you finally had a weekend where your could chill.

Unknown said...

Sadly, 8am would be sleeping in for me as well.

And that sounds kinda nice...

Jamie said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend off from running/racing!

Anonymous said...

It's definitely nice to take the "race" pressure off every now and then. sounds like a great non-Racing, but still-Running weekend :)

I Run for Fun said...

Weekends off are great. I like to wake up at 8 am and get the run in, then you feel like the whole day stretches out before you.