Sunday, May 31, 2009

Guest Post: Mom's 5K Race Report

Marlene asked me to write a paragraph for her blog about my very first run/walk today at the Toronto Womens Half Marathon/5K.

Marlene has been a huge inspiration to me. I decided to try this out for myself back in September, which is when I signed up for the Womens 5K. I started training with the Couch to 5K program on my iPod and was doing pretty well until my/our life was turned upside down earlier this year.

(Side note from Marlene – I mentioned a couple months ago that I was going through a rough time. It has been a difficult year for my family and Mom has taken the brunt of it.)

I lost interest in the training and wasn’t even sure I was going to do the walk/run.

With urging from my daughters, I decided to go ahead and try. I reached my goal today and was very pleased with the way I felt during and after. I listened to music and I did have some emotional feelings during the walk. I did it and in pretty good time, less than an hour.*

I have already signed up for the Toronto Waterfront 5K in September, along with my youngest daughter.

Thanks Marlene for being an amazing daughter and sister. You are an inspiration to all of us!!

*Mom is being modest here; her time was 46:11!


Don't mind my goofy expression...

---

I'm SO proud of her and thrilled that she has already signed up for her next event, along with my little sister.

I'll be back with my HM report tomorrow!

25 comments:

Marci said...

So nice seeing you today. Congratulations to both you and your mom for such strong races!

J said...

I love mother daughter stuff! that is great that she still did the 5k and will do another! You really are a great inspiration not just to your mom but to all of us!

Lily on the Road said...

Well CONGRATULATIONS Mom! It takes a lot of guts to get started and YOU did IT!

Try, as my 89 year old father says, is the beginning of Triumph. You put the UMPH into the TRY!

Well done Mom and Marlene, you inspire all of us, good job!!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations, Mom!! Well done. :-)

Mel-2nd Chances said...

WOW! Congrats to your mom, and a huge kudos to you for being such a great inspiration. was thinking of you guys today :)

Unknown said...

Congrats to MOM!!

Tatiana said...

YAY Marlene's mom!!!!!

ShutUpandRun said...

congrats to Marlene's mom!

Jess said...

Congrats to Mom! That's awesome.

IMama said...

Congratulation Laura! That's awesome!! Keep it up :D

yumke said...

Awww, that's so nice. I love families that run together :)

Jamie said...

Congrats Mom! That's fantastic! I love that the whole family is running together :)

I Run for Fun said...

Congratulations! It is so great that you are running together. It's such a bonding experience.

joyRuN said...

Congrats Mom!!

Anonymous said...

How awesome. You rock Marlene's mom!

Marcy said...

OMG How sweet!! Love how Mom came by for a guest spot!

CONGRATS Mom!!

Anonymous said...

This is So great!!! I loved this post, and that Mom came out to run with you :) already signed up for the next one??? She's hooked. ha!

Runner Leana said...

Congratulations Mom!!!! You did such a stellar job on your first race. While your daughter must be a great inspiration to you, I know that you must also be so inspiring for her. Keep up the great work!

Unknown said...

Congrats to your mom! That is so cool :)

Can't wait to hear about the race!

tfh said...

Modest I'll say! That's a GREAT time Marlene's mom (Laura?), and congratulations on finishing. I am trying to convince my own mom to run her first 5k so I am going to send her a link to this post. :)

Vickie said...

Congratulations to both of you! What a great story, and I'm sure you feel that much closer to your mom now.

Felice Devine said...

Great job, Marlene's mom!! Way to go!!

Heather said...

Way to go mom! What a fun time together, and great picture. :)

Lindsay said...

congrats to mom!!! it takes a lot to get out there, awesome job :)

Being Robinson said...

YAY for mom! That's amazing. CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!