Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Double whammy

Thanks for all your comments on my race report and for making me feel like a bad-ass for having that tarantula on my face. When I lived ta home before getting married, I used to scream and call my Grandma (she lived with us) every time I found a spider in the house to rescue kill it. You can imagine she got a kick out of those photos!

I'm doing some mileage-cramming this week so I can enjoy a couple days off camping this weekend and yesterday -- for the first time ever -- I ran in the morning and again in the evening. I got up early (to which hubby remarked, 'You actually got up?') for a slow 7K (my legs are stiff and sluggish at that hour, especially when I only give myself 15 minutes to wake up first). It which was a great way to start the day and I'm hoping to continue getting up early at least once or twice a week now that it's getting so hot. The temperature is just about perfect at 6AM and it's so quiet and peaceful having the streets (mostly) to myself.

Hubby decided to join me for my evening run and we waited until 8:30 when the temperature was somewhat bearable, although the air was still thick with humidity. We ran our favourite park loop and finished off 10K covered in sweat and having ingested more bugs than I care to remember. *gag, cough* I even discovered one stuck in my eye when we got back to the car.

Tonight my personal pace bunny will be taking me out for a repeat of last week's workout, tomorrow is a super short run before work (sister's high school grad in the evening) and Friday is my long run (via commute to work - this will be another first!). I'm really going to need a cold drink by the time we get to the campsite on Friday evening.

27 comments:

Mel-2nd Chances said...

last night was definitely hot and sticky and i swallowed more than a few bugs on my ride last night too :( Ugh. you're running to work?? Have a great weekend camping, hope the weather is good for you!

X-Country2 said...

You're running to work? That's pretty hardcore. :o)

Unknown said...

I don't know how you manage to run in that hot humid weather. That in itself is impressive. And then you go and run FAST to boot!

A Toronto girl out West said...

IN your eye!?!??! Eeek! lol You seem to be taking it rather well!

RunningLaur said...

I can't imagine running through those bugs - you bring back summer memories drowned in bug spray in southern ontario. So many bugs.

Bec said...

wow 2 a days, impressive! have fun camping!

Lindsay said...

you are a BA for even just looking at that thing. gross gross gross!!

two-a-days too! you're just all over it :)

Mark said...

I bet you've some awesome camping up there, have a great time, way to go with the two a days!

Jamie said...

Seriously you are a badass for running to work! Way to go on the 2 a day :)

Heather said...

Big week with running! I love running twice a day and try to do it a couple of days a week. Starts and ends the day on the right note. After running to work on Friday, you will definitely deserve some relaxation and beverages while camping!

Bruce said...

Summers here! Lots of hot and sitcky workouts coming. I actually prefer them over the winter runs all bundled up.

Zorbs said...

I used to wake up at 6 to be at Tracey's 6:15 am step class, and walk up the stairs at the gym still chewing the last bite of my breakfast.

Then I realized I didn't want to live like that anymore, so I started getting up earlier, so I can relax and actually wake up gradually, the way I prefer.

6 am run...alarm goes off at 4:15, get out of bed at 4:40 after exactly 3 snooze hits.

Jess said...

That's nice that your personal pace bunny is returning for a repeat training performance! Have fun.

{will run for margaritas} said...

Great run - 2 a-days are not easy!

I love the race report from the City Chase - sounds like SOO much fun! How do I find out if there is one close to me?

Vickie said...

Once you get used to running in the morning, you will come to enjoy it much more. I hear you on the humidity. We have the same weather here it seems! And running in the evening does have its drawbacks--too many bugs!

Gotta Run..... said...

funny about the bugs. I eat at least one or two on every ride. Just that time of year I guess.

Unknown said...

another fearless humidity soldier. way to carry on.have fun camping and hope the weather eases a little for you.

No Longer Using said...

hehehe..i actually got up today too!!!! nice work. we can get down to business sometimes, right?! your run sounds so good too, having the streets to yourself. rewarding enough to be a morning runner??? hooray for a camping weekend coming up!!! :)

I Run for Fun said...

I just love running in the morning...but it's SOOO difficult to motivate yourself to get out of bed!

I think you are pretty BAD-ASS...though the expression on your face said it all! LOL!

Christy said...

I love running in the wee hours in the morning and the later hours at night, but since having kids and being a single parent while my hubby is deployed (90% of the time) I have to do it all in the heat and humidity. Boooo!

Great job on the run last night. Have fun tonight too!

Aron said...

nice job on the double!!

Erika said...

Way to get those miles in. I've yet to do a double 'cause that would involve waking before my kids in the morning.

MCM Mama

EndorphinBuzz said...

Running to work is fun. I had to do it last winter when we had a bus strike. Make sure you keep your business clothes at work so you don't end up carrying too much stuff on your back...

The best part was the laugh I got at my 9am staff meeting where everyone showed up with their coffees and my colleagues were eyeing my sports drink wondering if there was anything wrong with me drinking that stuff first thing in the morning.

Runner Leana said...

Good luck getting all of the runs in, and with running into work on Friday! Hope it goes well! No doubt getting all that mileage knocked out will be nice so that you can just sit back and relax this weekend.

J said...

I think I ate a few bugs this morning on my run! Totally gross! Enjoy the graduation, congrats to your sister!! Glad you are running in the morning! Sometimes the legs are stiff but I think they will get used to it!

Anonymous said...

sounds like you'll definitely have some additions to Tuesday trials next week!! :) I actually contemplated two runs in one day tomorrow (have never done that!), but decided to just head out tonight instead. Did you feel any different on your evening run?? Good luck getting all your miles in!

chris mcpeake said...

Doubles .. way to go. I dont feel as crazy anymore